Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Rep.  (Read 1880 times)

Offline rachlover32

Liszt Rep.
on: June 24, 2020, 01:45:48 AM
Hello all,
I am picking some new rep and want to play some Liszt. I have played recently:
Chopin Ballade 1
sonata 3, movement 4
etude 10/3
Beethoven Tempest(All)
Bach french suite 5(All)
Rachmaninov prelude in g minor, b minor, c sharp minor.
I am looking at playing Mephisto waltz, Dante sonata, maybe a transcription. I am open to suggestions and insight. Please let me know :)

Offline pianoannieq

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Rep.
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 04:36:54 PM
Hi Rachlover32,

A similar post was written not too long ago, here's the link to the thread: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=66141.0

I'm currently learning his Rhapsodie Espagnole, and I think it's a bit easier than Mephisto. Some of his Hungarian Rhapsodies are great recital pieces. As for transcriptions, take a listen to Schubert-Liszt 12 Lieder von Franz Schubert, S.558, especially to No.2 (Auf dem Wasser Zu Singen). :)
I hate music (and sarcasm) :)

Beethoven Sonata 18
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
Prokofiev Sonata 4 op.29
Scriabin Piano Concerto

Offline charles coop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 07:18:53 PM
My guess is if you feel comfortable with the Chopin Ballade you could pull off the Mephisto with a lot of work (its clearly harder than the ballade in my opinion though). I wouldn't advise playing Dante Sonata as a first Liszt work as its already much more profound, but why not learn some of his Concert Etudes? Un Sospiro and Il Lamento would both be good preparation for the Mephisto. Hope this helps!

Offline timtim

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:28:45 AM
As others replied...
you want to do a VERY big jump. all of the mentioned works are few level easier than Mephisto etc. Ballade 1 - except the coda - is not that hard.  I would definitely spend a year more or two getting necessary skills.  Fot me it look like you want to jump from level 5-6 straight to 10.

Not trying to discuourage you - but what is the point of learning one piece thruoght 6 9 or 12 months, and at the end to play it mediocre?

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 07:13:35 PM
Hello,

Why not have a go at Sonetto 104 del Petrarca

G
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert