Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt - Prelude on 'Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen'  (Read 676 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - Prelude on 'Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen'
on: August 31, 2020, 11:08:51 PM
i think more people know the organ / piano Variations on 'W,K,S,Z' which is a much bigger and ambitious piece. but i first heard this, and i guess a lot of people did, on Horowitz: The Last Recording, when i was a boy and really was fascinated by it. so now i have the time to learn it.

liszt uses bach's chromatic passacaglia to create a small progression of variations, building in intensity to a really superb climax. bach used this passacaglia not only in his Cantata, but also in the 'Crucifixus' movement of the Mass. it has a special hypnotic power, i really urge you to listen to both of those choral pieces if you don't know them.

not a lot of technical demands in this piece but the voice leading is a little tricky, i don't know when this was written but am guessing it is later Liszt.