Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven op 2 no 1 1st movement sightreading  (Read 1171 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven op 2 no 1 1st movement sightreading
on: January 24, 2021, 02:34:11 PM
Hi,

I have another video.  For me, Beethoven is a difficult composer, more than Mozart and Haydn.  While with Mozart and Haydn I feel things are more simple, with Beethoven i feel is very complex in how to play and understand his music.

I was thinking in starting with this sonata as a good start with the rest of his more difficult pieces.

Feedback is welcome.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven op 2 no 1 1st movement sightreading
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:15:08 PM
You are pretty good at sight reading! This movement is a good introduction to his sonatas, as many of the others are quite difficult. You could have a look at the sonatas Op 49 as well, as those are known to be easier.

Beethoven was quite a revolutionary and individualistic composer in his time. We might not hear it so much with our modern ears, but even this early sonata was quite unusual in how he used for example the sforzandos for shock effect and he has some unusual harmonies and dissonances in there that at the time would have surprised the listener. It's not always "just" beautiful and its not meant to be. So follow his dynamics carefully and don't be afraid to have some attitude!

Offline thirtytwo2020

Re: Beethoven op 2 no 1 1st movement sightreading
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:39:04 AM
Hi faa2010,

I looked through a couple of your earlier postings and realised that some of the feedback I wanted to give has already been pointed out to you. It doesn't concern the Beethoven so much as your general approach and technique. It would interest me to hear how you think about two things

First, why do you consider it necessary to play with the metronome throughout the whole movement? I would perhaps understand it if you were actually 'sight-reading' in the sense of 'reading for the first time' and wanted to make a special point of following the flow of the music without to much focus on getting every note right. But it is evident that you have practiced this piece for some time and know sections by heart already.

Second, I think you need to find a way to relax your hands. You keep them always open and quite tense also when you don't need it.

My recommendation would be to turn the metronome off - it is clear that you don't have a problem with rhythm and that you don't the lack discipline to keep a nice practice tempo - and focus completely on acquiring a technique more kind to your hands. Seeing that you have had the same recommendations before and knowing that you are aware of the tension in your hands, it would be interesting to hear how you are dealing with those issues?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert