Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Tips for easy Rachmaninoff pieces that sound good?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline slurred_beat

• PS Silver Member
Tips for easy Rachmaninoff pieces that sound good?
on: January 29, 2021, 01:27:46 PM
I want to play more Rachmaninoff but some of his pieces are very difficult. Do you have some tips for easy Rachmaninoff pieces that sound good? Maybe intermediate level, I have played the C sharp minor prelude. But I also want to know what are some of his easiest pieces?

Offline slurred_beat

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tips for easy Rachmaninoff pieces that sound good?
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 12:33:15 PM
Ok maybe there arent easy Rachmaninoff pieces? It is also ok with intermediate level pieces. I'm just asking for something of Rachmaninoff that isnt too hard. Is there any good suggestions?

Offline nw746

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:18:23 PM
The first one that came to mind is the B minor prelude, his personal favourite from the set. But I don't really know if it qualifies as "easy" just because I can play it; I have significant idiosyncrasies (e.g. a 98th percentile hand span and very relaxed wrists).

Offline angelmorph

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:35:19 AM
His own transcription of his Lilac has a lovely tone and is quite manageable technically, and if you can deal with odd polyrhythm 3 against 5, I would suggest Prelude Op 32 No. 5

To some extent, if you don't mind playing a non original Rach piece, you might also want to try a transcription of the 18th variation from his "Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini", there are a few transcriptions out there provided for free and also the commercial version by Robert Schultz, which is the favorite one of many pianists
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert