Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: What level is Chopin’s polonaise no, 6 (heroic)  (Read 6857 times)

Offline romanticperiod

• PS Silver Member
I have a quick question, can anyone tell what level Chopin’s polonaise no. 6 in A-Flat major “heroic” op. 53 is? I’ve searched for it online but I can’t find the answer. Thanks 😊

Offline dogperson

Re: What level is Chopin’s polonaise no, 6 (heroic)
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 08:26:34 PM
RCM Grade 11

Source: pianosyllabus.com

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 08:27:00 PM
I don't know the level system but it's a high level piece for sure. It requires a virtuoso technique to play really well. You can be below virtuoso level and manage most of it but you may face many difficulties in that case.

Henle lists it as difficulty 8 out of 9 levels. https://www.henle.de/us/detail/?Title=Polonaise+As-dur+op.+53_960

Here is their explanation of their difficulty system: https://www.henle.de/us/about-us/levels-of-difficulty-piano/

Offline harold d. shores iii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 11:56:36 PM
That's a good question.  I've never thought about the levels of different pieces.  I'm curious though, would you not learn a piece if it is classified at a level that you think is too high for you??

Offline sy.copper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 05:53:03 AM
It's in the Trinity LTCL Diploma list, which is decently advanced. I have been practicing it recently (it just took me about a bit less than a month to be able to play it decently well (recital level)), so let me just list out some of the difficult components of the Polonaise below.

Difficulties:
- Large intervals (octaves etc., especially the passage in the middle of the piece)
- High speed
- Length (and volume), endurance

To me, it's slightly harder compared to other songs in the same genre, but it's not the MOST difficult. I would consider Liszt's "La Campanella" etude harder, but Chopin's "Winter Wind" etude easier. The most difficult part of this piece, I would say, would be the middle, where the famous octave passage is. But if you have a decently supple, strong wrist and fingers that can reach a bit over an octave, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Hope this helps to answer your question!

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 09:19:58 AM
"To me, it's slightly harder compared to other songs in the same genre, but it's not the MOST difficult. I would consider Liszt's "La Campanella" etude harder, but Chopin's "Winter Wind" etude easier. The most difficult part of this piece, I would say, would be the middle, where the famous octave passage is. But if you have a decently supple, strong wrist and fingers that can reach a bit over an octave, it shouldn't be much of a problem."

Huh, I would think the Winter Wind would be much more taxing and dangerous to play (but what do I know, I haven't played either yet).  ;D

I actually think the Heroic Polonaise is quite doable, the only really dangerous section is the octave passage in the middle, which as stated above requires a really supple wrist to pull off. Still, it's not as intense as some octave passages (cough cough liszt hungarian rhapsody 6), and the piece really just requires a lot of practice to nail the jumps in the opening and closing sections. Also, metronome practice is paramount ... I have seen this piece butchered by intermediate pianists who did not even realize how much they had distorted it ...
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 11:36:16 PM
To me, La Campanella is way harder to pull off (i e I can't) than Winter Wind, which I have played in the past, though not to a standard where I would feel safe playing it to an audience. But I guess different people hae different challenges? To me, the leaps and repeated notes in La Campanella is way more difficult than fast fingery stuff.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 12:19:21 AM
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you! I am pretty reluctant to compare the difficulty of music by Chopin and music by Liszt, though, because their styles are very different and ask for very different things from the pianist--ie, my teacher always quotes Rubenstein along the lines that everyone thinks you have to be a great technician to play Liszt, but really the technique usually comes fairly naturally (with practice) and the real challenge lies in divining beautiful music from the sometimes repetitive or straightforward textures; while Chopin and Brahms are the opposite: the melodies are very beautiful and easy to access, but to really pull the piece off well in its entirety requires a technical mastery and attention to detail that makes it much more difficult in this respect. That said, La Campanella is horrifically difficult and I haven't had the courage to pick it up yet ...  :P
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780

Offline sy.copper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 04:04:06 AM
Huh, I would think the Winter Wind would be much more taxing and dangerous to play (but what do I know, I haven't played either yet).  ;D

It only took me around 2-3 weeks to learn the entire "Winter Wind" Chopin etude. It mainly focuses on the agility of your fingers and how long you can play loud and fast at the same time.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 08:39:04 AM
This is true. Winter Wind IS on my list of Etudes to learn, right after I finish Op. 10 No. 4 ...
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 12:53:43 PM
Out of all the difficult and large scale works by Chopin, it's definitely one of the doable ones.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 11:05:31 PM
Out of all the difficult and large scale works by Chopin, it's definitely one of the doable ones.

The octaves in the middle section can be a real problem though. They can be rather merciless if your technique is not there yet (speaking from experience).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert