Piano Forum

Topic: Which English Translation of Beethoven's Letters is the best?  (Read 1328 times)

theholygideons

I am planning on reading the letters of Beethoven. I am looking for a translation that captures Beethoven's unique writing style as much as possible, elements of which include his use of grammar and other things that would provide insights into who he was as a person. Those who have read his letters, could you recommend to me translations that you particularly liked?

Thanks.
Ludwig van Beethoven:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
I am planning on reading the letters of Beethoven. I am looking for a translation that captures Beethoven's unique writing style as much as possible, elements of which include his use of grammar and other things that would provide insights into who he was as a person. Those who have read his letters, could you recommend to me translations that you particularly liked?

Thanks.

I don't know of a translation, but I just wanted to ask, do you think there are many translations out there that don't care about capturing Beethoven's writing style in the translation? I feel any good translator would care a lot about capturing the spirit as well as the contents of the text that is being translated.

Offline felixblumenfeld

• PS Silver Member
I fear that you will have to choose between the selection by Arthur Eaglefield Hull (1926) and the three-volume edition by Emily Anderson. I cannot comment on either of them.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert