Piano Forum

Poems of Ecstasy – Scriabin’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
The great early 20th-century composer Alexander Scriabin left us 74 published opuses, and several unpublished manuscripts, mainly from his teenage years – when he would never go to bed without first putting a copy of Chopin’s music under his pillow. All of these scores (220 pieces in total) can now be found on Piano Street’s Scriabin page. Read more >>

Topic: Where to Buy Music Books  (Read 1883 times)

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Where to Buy Music Books
on: May 02, 2022, 04:25:34 PM
I've been wondering where is the best place to buy Urtext or generally trusted editions online? I've been on Amazon and the prices tend to fluctuate, sometimes much higher than my local music store and sometimes much lower.

What are some of the providers you use to order music? Additionally, what editions are recommended for Ravel and Debussy, and where can I find them?
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5
Maurice Ravel:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles
Claude Debussy:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Where to Buy Music Books
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 04:30:36 PM
Are you in the US or the EU?

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 05:40:01 PM
Are you in the US or the EU?
I'm in Canada actually
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline pianowhisper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 01:50:56 PM
The time I bought sheet music online, like yourself, I was looking for Urtext editions. I ended up using sheetmusicplus.com. I believe they are based in the US, thus it may be an interesting option for you as opposed to, say, buying Urtext directly from Henle's website.
I believe you can find Urtext editions of pretty much all the main bulk of classical repertoire there.

Offline youngpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 10:26:03 PM
I think sheetmusicplus is a good choice. They have a lot of sheet music, Henle, everything,

Offline silverwildflower8

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 03:16:54 PM
I agree with the above, that sheetmusicplus is a good choice, but I also like purchasing directly from the Henle website, which can be found at henle.de. The only downside I can see here is that there might be less selections of pieces.

Offline geopianoincanada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 06:33:33 PM
My local music store usually has a good selection for material suited to my practice level. On the off chance they don't have something in stock they can usually order it and get it within a week.

Offline kosulin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 03:32:19 AM
There are many little known places offering a huge selection of scores.
For example, the Juilliard Store in NYC offers great selection of Urtext scores from Henle, Barenreiter, Wiener, EMB, National Edition, Breitkopf, etc, including Ravel and Debussy, of course.
You might want to check your local universities with big music department - they may also have a physical store offering scores not available on Amazon.
But Amazon prices are hard to beat.
Vlad

Offline ego0720

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 05:54:23 PM
Sheetmusicplus. What everyone forgot to say was that they offer 20% to 25%.  25% comes once a month or two.. but 20% comes all the time.  Compared to Amazon.  Amazon price are reasonable and they help monitor books if you decide to stick with one seller to track your purchases.  However they have only given modest sale prices compared to sheetmusicplus.  I usually go Amazon if for any reason SMP does not have (it occurs). One thing about Amazon are their kindle editions .. idk why but the pages seem smaller and hard to read or unoptimized for full page setting. I avoid buying kindle version on that point and get the physical books.

I usually add to cart and wait for that 25% for SMP. It's pretty huge savings. Unfortunately it’s the hook that got my wallet.

Also, best deal on SMP is 25% + free budget shipping. 25% and if they add multiple shipping fee + shipping.. usually negates the 25% to 20%. I usually wait for 25% and free budget shipping. Unless u can’t wait it’s good to build a wishlist and wait.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert