Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: Thoughts on Durand?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Thoughts on Durand?
on: May 26, 2022, 03:43:17 AM
I was recently at my local Long and McQuade and purchased the complete piano works of Ravel for $26 CAD! I've heard online that Durand is a good edition for french composers, especially Debussy and Ravel. I also heard that the edition is pretty expensive but the price I got for his complete piano works is on par with Schirmer so I might've gotten faulty information.

Anyway, should I trust this edition? I think Ravel actually published directly through them for many of these pieces so I'd have to imagine it's pretty good for that.

Thoughts on the binding? I haven't played through anything yet but it looks like it'll be annoying to keep open. Does anyone have some solutions to this? I've heard going to a Staples and getting it spiral bound is a good option.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5
Claude Debussy:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles
Maurice Ravel:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Thoughts on Durand?
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 10:34:24 PM
I have had trouble with their bindings too. It's a shame, because I love the engraving! I think for composers such as Ravel (and I think Debussy) who published via them they're generally trustworthy. I have seen errors from first editions being corrected in later editions in the case of Ravel.

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Thoughts on Durand?
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 05:38:35 PM
Yeah, you're fine with Durand. There are newer editions with fingerings, performance notes etc. (Nancy Bricard's with Alfred edition are particularly good for Ravel) if you want them.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert