Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: La Leggierezza fingering  (Read 878 times)

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
La Leggierezza fingering
on: June 11, 2022, 08:11:56 PM
Hello,

Question: which fingering would you utilize for the (ossia) chromatic thirds in La Leggierezza? My instinct is to utilize the method from Chopin's Op. 25 No. 6, which relies a lot on 1-5/3-2, moving the thumb a lot, etc, and has the potential to be a bit bumpy (given the thumb movement), but for me it also feels more natural, since I practice that piece nearly every day for my technical regimen.

The fingering suggested in the scores for La Leggierezza forgoes the 1-5, and relies instead on 1-3/2-4/3-5, etc, which feels like a very different hand movement for me and isn't as naturally comfortable, especially in tempo. Below I am attaching a screenshot to the section I am talking about. Any other ideas are also welcome. I would especially appreciate feedback from people who have played this piece before.

Thanks!
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm