Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Studio headphones sound awesome for my VST, but awful thru speakers!  (Read 293 times)

Offline noelcp

• PS Silver Member
I understand headphones and speakers are hugely different as to how they manage the stereo field and sound which I guess is the main issue here but wondering what active speakers might be sort of as good as possible to play thru, without braking my budget.  I have a set of 30y/o Yamaha Studio Monitors that i powered thru a Samson amp and the sound was pretty sad so I only use phones to play now.  The difference is night and day.  What i don't understand is I can record a piece using my headphones, play that piece thru a stereo and it sounds quite good.  But play my Garritan Abbey Road VST live thru those speakers and it's just not a happy thing! 

So I guess the answer is I'll never find speakers that will match what the headphones do, at all, but still what smaller powered speakers are sort of good enough?  My sense is expensive speakers will not solve this issue, so a small pair of powered speakers that work well is what I'm asking for here.  Thanks!

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Your post is kind of confusing, starting with the subject line, because there it sounds as if you are trying to hear your headphones through speakers (an impossibility).

So are you saying that you have a piano; you listen to the piano through your headphones; you also listen to your piano through the speakers?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert