Piano Forum

New Book: Women and the Piano by Susan Tomes
Susan Tomes' latest book is a captivating and thought-provoking exploration of women pianists’ history, praised for its engaging storytelling, thorough research, and insightful analysis. The book combines historical narrative with Tomes' personal insights as a performing female pianist. Read more >>

Topic: Short Recital Program Advice  (Read 804 times)

Offline dominict

• PS Silver Member
Short Recital Program Advice
on: November 20, 2023, 04:16:12 PM
Hello all,
In a couple months I have to perform a short recital on the piano as part of an audition. The recital should only be 10-12 minutes long, though it can be longer, and there aren't many limitations on what can be played (one 20th century piece, one 17th-19th century piece, and a free piece).

The program I've mostly decided upon is as follows:
Janacek - Andante No 1 from In the Mists (in Db Major)
Chopin - Nocturne Op 27 No 2 in Db Major
Scriabin - Etude Op 8 no 2 (not 12) in F# Minor

Firstly, does this sound like a good program, but secondly, should I care about the keys the pieces are in? The first two pieces are in the same key, and the third is enharmonically a perfect cadence down but I read somewhere that some judges want the last piece to be in a major key, or for keys to be different through. I also read that some places want the latest piece played last, which is in the case the Janacek although the Scriabin honestly sounds just as modern despite being composed 20 years earlier.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Short Recital Program Advice
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 01:11:47 AM
It's a nice program. I would consider if Janacek and Chopin are in a somewhat similar character (if I'm thinking of the correct Janacek piece, it was a while since I played In The Mists) and that you might want some more variation? The argument people made about D flat major might be connected to this concern as well.

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Short Recital Program Advice
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
I agree about the Janacek. The 2nd or 4th mvt would be more of a contrast (not just key but texture, mood, technique) Both are more difficult than the 1st mvt but manageable if you can play the Chopin and Scriabin.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert