Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Repetoire for competition  (Read 1259 times)

Offline jaquet

• PS Silver Member
Repetoire for competition
on: May 01, 2024, 08:38:21 PM
Hi there, im looking into joining a major competition in two years and im just planning the repetoire now. Could you guys give me some advice for some repetoire by Bach which is very polyphonic, beautiful and on the slower side. (i need something to contrast the other pieces)
Also i need something to fill in 10 minutes of time to go along with dante sonata in the final round. I was thinking maybe the pertrach sonnets but maybe thats too much liszt? Also any arrangements are allowed.
Any help would be much appreciated.
decided repetoire is this:
video audtion(10 mins)
liszt etude 10
bach or couperin???
live audition(10 mins)
chopin octaves etude
bach ???
quarter finals (12 mins)
Ballade no 1 chopin
+ Joeseph makholm plaintive blues

semi finals(12 mins)
Scriabin 4th sonata
rachmaninoff- volodos- zdes khrosko
grand finals. ( 20-30 mins)
Dante sonata

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repetoire for competition
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 09:33:19 PM
For Bach, I'd definitely check out the C#minor Prelude and Fugue from Book I of WTC. It's beautiful, very polyphonic - a triple fugue in five voices - slow, and builds to a fantastic conclusion as all the subjects come together near the end. The prelude is also haunting and lovely.

Offline advertis45

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:45:45 PM
For Bach, I'd definitely check out the C#minor Prelude and Fugue from Book I of WTC. It's beautiful, very polyphonic - a triple fugue in five voices - slow, and builds to a fantastic conclusion as all the subjects come together near the end. The prelude is also haunting and lovely.

I also agree, those are really good choices, but I also like the one in B-flat minor, because the prelude is just  absolutely haunting, and you can do so many things with it, and the fugue is fantastic too, since it is in 5 voices. Also, to fill in 10 minutes of time to go along with the Dante Sonata, I was thinking maybe some Ravel, like the Alborada del Gracioso or Une barque sur l'Ocean from the Miroirs suite, but it's your choice to choose. 

Offline jaquet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 03:58:32 PM
I also agree, those are really good choices, but I also like the one in B-flat minor, because the prelude is just  absolutely haunting, and you can do so many things with it, and the fugue is fantastic too, since it is in 5 voices. Also, to fill in 10 minutes of time to go along with the Dante Sonata, I was thinking maybe some Ravel, like the Alborada del Gracioso or Une barque sur l'Ocean from the Miroirs suite, but it's your choice to choose. 
Ah! Ravel is perfect, however ive not studied any ravel. I will probably pick Une barque sur l'Ocean or one of the other Miroirs. Thank you for this reccomendation because i completley forgot about ravel!

Offline advertis45

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 08:55:30 PM
Ah! Ravel is perfect, however ive not studied any ravel. I will probably pick Une barque sur l'Ocean or one of the other Miroirs. Thank you for this reccomendation because i completley forgot about ravel!

No problem! Once you learn those pieces, you should make a recording and post them in the audition room, since you can get feedback there.

Offline jaquet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 03:37:52 PM
No problem! Once you learn those pieces, you should make a recording and post them in the audition room, since you can get feedback there.
I would love to but i wont be able to practice anything because i have gcses for the next two months :((
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert