Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms Rhapsody n 1 HELP!!!!!!!  (Read 5142 times)

Offline homer

• PS Silver Member
Brahms Rhapsody n 1 HELP!!!!!!!
on: March 02, 2005, 02:11:05 PM

i've started to study Brahms' op.79 n1 Rhapsody, but i'm having a lot of trouble with those annoying triplets on the right hand.... what's the appropiate fingering for that?? (i tryed 3-2-1 and 1/5 for the octave.....could that work?? i find it impossible to play......
helppppppppppp

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms Rhapsody n 1 HELP!!!!!!!
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:56:33 PM
I'm not sure exactly which triplets you're referring to, because the right hand has triplets throughout the entire piece.

In general, I just use 5-1-2 as long as it's comfortable.  You can use 5-1-3 if you have a smaller hand, but I find that when I use 2, I can "jump" off if it quicker and land on the next triplet. 

Offline abe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 11:48:03 PM
I'm working on this piece right now(started it like 2 weeks ago)....the only awkward triplet I can see is the first right-hand triplet on the top of pg. 3 (Dover Edition) where I have to use 3-4-5 to go directly into the chord. Or are you talking about the triplet eight notes at the end of the peice? Tell me the measure number and I'll give you my advice if I can...
--Abe

Offline homer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:04:00 AM
i´m sorry, i was talking about the left hand. it´s measure 5 for example, there´s a dotted quarter and then that triplet...that´s the one i´m talking about...

thanks

Offline Rockitman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 04:48:34 AM
I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me
He's just a poor boy, from a poor family
Spare him his life and this monstrosity

Wait, check that,  you didn't say Bohemian Rhapsody?

Offline jim_24601

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:42:05 PM
I use 3-2-1 and then 1/5, like you said. It takes practice, but it is possible.

Offline abe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 11:19:35 PM
Remember, the triplets are leading up to the octave, so don't get to hung up on them. They're like fast grace notes almost, but try to make them even.
--Abe

Offline homer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 02:52:08 AM
thanks a lot for the replies   :)

i guess i just need more practice   ;)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 04:42:36 AM
I would use 4-3-2 1/5 ... much better than thumb-thumb on g to f...

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 12:39:14 PM
I also use 3-2-1- 1        I dont see much alternative! The problem is rushing the 2-1
                           5        and then hoping the thumb to the chord as i remember So do circular beat - beat practice just LH making sure all the notes are exactly in the time space they are supposed to be in and that the movements are fast and accurate (over the keys) when this is reliable and automatic (so you dont make a mistake when you have your eyes closed!!!!) then slow it down and add it to the right hand  (? 6ths??) and make sure it is flowing exactly metrical and the tips are firm and controlled. Then you can begin to speed it up. Dont worry about rubato until its mechanically reliable because otherwise it has potential to go out of control in performance!   Dont forget to practice the middle section (beautifull!) and some stretchy writing - keep a relaxed wrist - avoid getting tight! balance between hands is crucial here!

Good luck - lots of people underestimate this piece! ;)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 05:16:24 AM
If you absolutely want to use 3-2-1 1/5, here's a tip : Make your e-f-g, then up your wrist in the air ( only 2-3 cm not more, just to say it's higher than normal), prepare your hand to play the octave and make your wrist fall on the notes. This must be done quick, but it should work, and make it sound better with practice  :P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert