Piano Forum

Beethoven 250: Krystian Zimerman performs the complete Beethoven Piano Concertos
Renowned Polish pianist Krystian Zimerman joins forces with the London Symphony Orchestra and its Music Director Simon Rattle at LSO St Luke's for a three-concert cycle of the five piano concertos. The stream will take place on DG Stage, a new video music service for classical concert streams from Deutsche Grammophon. Read more >>

Topic: Utter newbie looking for GOOD music theory book  (Read 2193 times)

Offline likesRachmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Utter newbie looking for GOOD music theory book
on: May 17, 2003, 04:55:26 AM
Hello everyone,

I am an utter newbie and I want to learn music theory the right way. I picked up a couple of books (Beginning Piano for Adults by JW/JS Bastien being one of them) and they actually  had wrong spellings for dom. 7ths and so I stopped using them. Is there a "bible" so to speak, which I can use, and be sure that it presents the correct information in a no nonsense, dont-insult-my-intelligence way?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think I should add one note of clarification. My final aim (say, 15 year plan) is to be able to play a good number of the classical scores and possibly know music theory well enough to play jazz.

Thanks. :)

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Re: Utter newbie looking for GOOD music theory boo
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 06:32:28 AM
try the associated board of the royal schools music theory books, they're widely known and you can also sit exams

i also suggest going to a music theory teacher as it is sooooo much easier to understand theory

memo from lea: red bull gives u wings
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert