Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Can any one tell me about Wurlitzer?  (Read 38723 times)

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Can any one tell me about Wurlitzer?
on: May 31, 2003, 07:36:40 PM
I have a 5'7''  Wurlitzer grand.  I hardly heard about the company until I got it.  Could any one give me a brief history about the company?    Is the Wurlitzer grand a good piano compared to others?  

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Can any one tell me about Wurlitzer?
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 05:47:10 AM
Hi Reoreo,

Manufacture of Wurlitzer pianos began in the U.S. around 1880.  But the company was always better known for its theater organs than pianos.  Around 1990 Wurlitzer was sold to the Baldwin Piano Company.  Wurlitzer already owned Chickering Piano, so Baldwin got Chickering too as part of the package deal.  As you probably know, Baldwin, Steinway, and Mason & Hamlin are the three companies that produce artist-quality grands in the U.S.

Wurlitzer pianos were never considered among the better brands.  During the late 1980s, Wurlitzer grands were not made by Wurlitzer at all, but instead by Young Chang in Korea.  When Baldwin bought Wurlitzer, the Young Chang contract was cancelled.   Baldwin now contracts manufacture of Wurlitzers out to Samick Piano in Korea.  The tone of Wurlitzer grands is not particularly pleasing or  remarkable.    

Baldwin's ownership of Wurlitzer has not improved the Wurlitzer brand either.  From a marketing standpoint, Baldwin has structured a three-tier selling strategy.  Baldwin grands are positioned as the artist quality pianos given their craftsmanship, Chickering is in the middle grade, and Wurlitzer is "entry level" only.  Steinway does the very same thing.  The Steinway name is their top quality piano, Boston is their more affordable piano, and Essex is their entry level instrument.  Sometimes parents wisely buy a promotional or entry level piano for a good reason: it's impossible to predict whether their son or daughter will evolve into a serious and accomplished pianist, or whether lessons and practicing will peeter out after just a couple of months!  There's no way to tell, so the safe route is to buy an inexpensive piano, usually a vertical rather than a grand at that.  

Larry Fine's "The Piano Book" 4th Edition 2001 ranks grands from high to low into five categories based on a survey, Category 1 being top notch.   Wurlitzer grands fall into Category 4, "Medium quality consumer-grade pianos".   These are geared more to economy than performance--so not a great piano frankly.  My guess is that you're probably a beginner at piano, where you seem unfamiliar with pianos.  For the time being, therefore, the Wurlitzer will likely serve your needs well as a beginner and perhaps even as an intermediate student.  If your interest in piano persists and you near advanced level, you'll need to consider upgrading at that point to a better quality instrument.  Part of being inspired as a pianist is to be inspired by your instrument.      
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 08:48:49 PM
Thanks for your wonderful insight!  The piano actually was a surprise present from my parents back in 5th grade.  It was nice compared to the 100 year old upright i played on.  One thing i like about my piano is that its keys are heavier than normal, which helps me out during competitions because i don't get as tired easily.  I compete in state and regional competitions.   I'm just finishing up my sophmore year in high school, and I intend to minor in music during college.  
Do you think it would be a good idea to upgrade now?  (i'm intending on going to college far away from home)
Again, thank you for your response!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 10:23:50 PM
Hi Reoreo,

If you're successfully entering regional competitions, I'd say that you and your Wurlitzer are a fine team for the moment.  On your question of upgrading, there are a couple of things to consider.  First, as you say, you'll be away from home, so would not really have the use of the new piano except at semester breaks.  Secondly, your parents are probably saving and about to sacrifice big time to finance your education.  So now would probably not be the best time to bring up the subject of a new piano (unless they are quite rich, that is).  Probably, that burden would fall to you after you graduate, have a job, and are out on your own.  When I was your age, my parents had an Ivers & Pond grand which was kinda like your Wurlitzer.  After a few years of working, I bought a used Steinway M (5'7") for myself.  After another 10 years or so, I then bought a new Baldwin L (6'3") which I still have and enjoy.

You don't say whether you'll be majoring in music or some other field.  If music, the school will have practice rooms which will suit your needs there, although those pianos might not be the greatest!  Scout around the campus.  When I was a kid at university, I found a nice Steinway Model L (5'10") on the stage of one of the auditoriums on campus.  I got to know the custodian of the building, and he let me in there to practice anytime I wanted.  

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 11:19:19 PM
Thanks for you advice! You've been a great help to me.  I'll keep in mind your response as I walk the path of my future.  
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert