Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2  (Read 5678 times)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
on: January 09, 2006, 01:01:19 AM
Recorded it today.  Let me know your reactions!  ;)
Thanks,
donjuan

*UPDATE 01/20/06: Thanks for your feedback!  I made a 2nd recording:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,15481.0.html

Offline pianohopper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:13:45 AM
Can't take anything away from you technically, man.  A very good job with the bunches of notes and dynamic and all that.  Although, I could have done with a bit more pedaling.  I've got the score, but no recordings, so I'm not sure if the rapid cadenza parts are intended to be played in the way you played -- more bunched -- or clearer.  I thought some of the notes got a bit lost there. 

Good job.
"Today's dog in the alley is tomorrow's moo goo gai pan."  ~ Chinese proverb

Offline Teddybear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:42:05 PM
Well, my reaction is that it's not Hungarian. Set yourself on fire and try again.   :)
Teddybear

(>"<)
('(ö,   )")
  '(¥   )/
   ¿.¿.J

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:39:20 AM
Bravo!, That was very good, i enjoyed the friska! you should make a video :)

Offline I Love Xenakis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 08:34:22 PM
The very opening felt rushed, and could have used some pedal IMO.

What sort of piano is this?  o.O
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:24:39 AM
Thanks so much for your replies!

I wanted to make a recording for the forum because I have to perform this piece at a music festival in April and I wanted to know what you thought of my interpretation, since there are so many ways to play this piece.  Actually, since I made the recording, I have thought about things I would like to change, especially involving the 1st half and having generally less rubato and maybe more pedal.  Also, if I were to record it again, I would not be afraid to make a little more noise after the buildup from friska.

i love xenakis: The piano is a Yamaha C2, and it hasnt been tuned for a year..

Offline kravetz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 07:19:50 AM
Congratulations!! Of course there are some details in the music that could be better but  the previous posts already talk about this and I don´t want to repeat them. I´m sure you´ll have no problem in your performance. The last time I´ve heard this music was in a "Tom & Jerry" cartoon, it´s very funny and I´ve downloaded it from the internet. If anyone wants the URL just talk to me. (3,78 Mb).
A good day to all pianists.

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:38:53 PM
Very good performance !  :D . Personally, I agree with the above poster about the pedalling ...i would put in a tad more...but its basically up to you and YOUR interpretation of the piece. The most important thing is that it is a technically accomplished and exciting performance ...thats what matters !
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 09:23:35 PM
WOW!!! All the right notes!!! That is one of the best technical impressions ive heard, but a bit too strict i think... and a bit more FURY would take it into the realms of supreme recording... lol... i wish i could play like that...
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline winterwind_23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:37:58 AM
I'm listening to your recording now, and it sounds excellent so far! 

Just finished it.  It is technically perfect, but I would add more pedal, espescially in the latter half, since it sounds somewhat dry.

A comment on your recording.  Somtimes, at loud sections, I hear like a buzz sound because its too loud, perhaps b/c your mic is positioned too close to the piano.  To fix it, move the mic a bit further, or turn down your microphone volume a bit.

Offline gonzalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 12:18:06 PM
I liked your recording very much but more pedal would be welcome. And in the second part when it speeds up and starts sounding humorous you could add a little bit of fury. The first part is ok. And in the very beggining you can add pedal  ( the intro) and it will sound better.

Congratulations on learning it!  :)

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 06:11:06 PM
There is a trend in the suggestions for me (here and in chat) - more pedal, more fury, some chords are too abrupt, not Hungarian enough..

I think I have been working hard, thinking about everyone's suggestions, and I would like to try recording it again in the next couple days.  I have a feeling that my crappy mic on the laptop lacks sensitivity to resonance (I have the laptop sitting on top of the piano), so I may have to really exaggerate the pedal to get it to pick up.  Well, either that, or I am just making up excuses for not using enough pedal :-[

Either way, I'll do it again and maybe you can hear your suggestions applied when I post another recording.

I just can't thank you all enough for your feedback!  ;)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 01:30:33 AM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert