Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Preludes 4&6 + friends composition  (Read 11513 times)

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Preludes 4&6 + friends composition
on: March 09, 2006, 07:14:02 PM
Here are three videos that I recorded yesterday in response to the topic 'Practise Videos' in the misc forum:

Serenade by Barnaby Southgate (school friend)

Chopin Prelude No.4

Chopin Prelude No.6 (is bigger resolution because I was testing out the quality...turned out not so good :P)

Comments and crits highly appreciated, and also your own interpretations (i.e. crescendos/diminuendos, more expression etc etc), I'd love to hear them!
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Preludes 4&6 + friends composition
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:43:45 PM
Well,in prelude no. 4 your LF is too loud I think and your RH should be softer and sing more. Be more relaxed.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:59:59 PM
Ok, thanks el nino! I shall definately keep that in mind the next time I play it ;D

However, I find it hard to relax. Could you tell me what, in the video, told you that I wasn't relaxed? And methods to help me relax?
Cheers,
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:08:02 PM
Ok, thanks el nino! I shall definately keep that in mind the next time I play it ;D

However, I find it hard to relax. Could you tell me what, in the video, told you that I wasn't relaxed? And methods to help me relax?
Cheers,
Henrah

No not true, your arm, your fingers and your wrist were as they should be, and if anyone trys to change that as you play this prelude, pay no attention to them ( am sure of that ).
However i can think of other things that you can consider, but am not a piano teacher so i wont mention them to you.

I like your bench hight. You sit low.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:12:02 PM
However i can think of other things that you can consider, but am not a piano teacher so i wont mention them to you.

I like your bench hight.

No please do mention them! You've got me curious now!

Btw, why did 'I like your bench hight' come up in the quote but not in your post? Confusing....but anyway, after watching the videos I raised the height as I thought it was too low (considering the widely taught 'elbows must be at same height as hands'), and I don't think I played as well....think I'll lower it back....

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 08:49:02 PM
No please do mention them! You've got me curious now!

(considering the widely taught 'elbows must be at same height as hands'), and I don't think I played as well....think I'll lower it back....

Well you sit as low as Glen Gould, and apparently that makes playing fast octaves and chord difficult ( as you know), hence the reason why Chopin adviced his studente to sit with elbows at the same hight as hands.

Well if you are curious,

( 1 )   i think it is a good idea to pull the piano bench back and bring your body to the front edge of the bench, ie not sitting on the center of the bench in a lazy way, as though you are doing homework.

( 2 )  Its a good i dea to lengthen your upper body, not like a soldier, just more upright.

( 3 ) IF you want to play like Horowitz slightly, bring yout left foot back from the Knee joints and slightly bring your upper body forward into the piano keys, this way you are playing into the piano keys( keep your right foot  on the pedal). Hence some body weight, and you will look DAM COOL, ( trust me ) 8)

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 11:13:58 PM
          ( 1 )   i think it is a good idea to pull the piano bench back and bring your body to the front edge of the bench, ie not sitting on the center of the bench in a lazy way, as though you are doing homework.

OK, taken into account...

( 2 )  Its a good i dea to lengthen your upper body, not like a soldier, just more upright.

Yeah I've been trying to do that, but I keep reverting back to hunching. I find it hard to sit in a good posture for a long time, but anytime I feel my back starting to ache I sit up properly. I never notice that I'm hunching until it's too late...

( 3 ) IF you want to play like Horowitz slightly, bring yout left foot back from the Knee joints and slightly bring your upper body forward into the piano keys, this way you are playing into the piano keys (keep your right foot on the pedal). Hence some body weight, and you will look DAM COOL, ( trust me ) 8)

Heh OK, I'll try that!

Cheers zheer!
Henrah

Offline martha argerrrrrich

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:02:50 AM
Frankly, U friend's composition is much better than Chopin Preludes or may be u play them better and bring the piece more life.  Anyway from a composers' point of view I would say most of Chopin preludes are over-rated and shouldnt even be performed. and I dont agree with anything Zheer said.....I would like to see Zheer's video(if its available in the forum point me there....)....never take a word from anybody especially pianists rather see what they do and compare it with what they say...U will be suprised!

Offline allthumbs

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 03:16:07 AM

Comments and crits highly appreciated, and also your own interpretations (i.e. crescendos/diminuendos, more expression etc etc), I'd love to hear them!
Henrah

I thought you did an admirable job on the preludes. Here is Sergio Tiempo performing Prelude No.4 in E minor.

Enjoy

Cheers

allthumbs
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:34:10 AM
.  Anyway from a composers' point of view I would say most of Chopin preludes are over-rated and shouldnt even be performed.

I like the fact that you think so little of Chopin's compositional abilitys, and that you diagree with eyerything i say. It is intresting haw your contribusion to this thread is very mininmal, and its even more intresting that you want to see a video of me playing the piano. If you read carefully you will notice that henrah was curious and wanted to know my thoughts on piano playing, and not i imposing my thoughts on him.
    If you could explain why it is that you dis-like the chopin prelude's and why you doubt my comments, i might take your comments seriously and not just as random words put-together with little substance and thought.
       YOUR FAILURE TO REPLY IMPLIES............

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:01:31 AM
Anyway from a composers' point of view I would say most of Chopin preludes are over-rated and shouldnt even be performed.

What do you mean 'from a composers point of view'? Are you a composer yourself? And could you care to explain why you think Chopin's preludes are over-rated? I'd like to hear why you think that. Also why you think they should never be performed.

never take a word from anybody especially pianists rather see what they do and compare it with what they say...U will be suprised!

This I do not go by in my rules to living my life, as I have found that when I give advice to people, it certainly isn't what I do myself, but it makes me realise that I'm not doing it and helps me as well as helping them. I also go by the saying 'Do as I say, not as I do' as what people say is certainly more beneficial than watching and copying what they do.
I would also like to see a video of zheer playing, but I shall not be looking for reasons to doubt what he advises to me. I take all the advice I am given on my playing, and use any and/or as much of it as I need.

I thought you did an admirable job on the preludes. Here is Sergio Tiempo performing Prelude No.4 in E minor.

Enjoy

Cheers

allthumbs

Thankyou allthumbs, what a wonderful compliment!
Thankyou also for the Sergio Tiempo video! I hope not to offend you, or anyone else by saying this, but I don't like Tiempo's use of rubato so much. I find that he slows down then speeds up after every change in the RH, and I think he overuses it. Although I love it from the forte section to the end, that is simply marvelous playing. He is wonderful at dynamics, but I find his rubato in this piece a bit too exaggerated.

Zheer, I'm confused by your last sentence 'YOUR FAILURE TO REPLY IMPLIES.....' What does it imply?

Cheers for the comments guys, much appreciated!
Henrah

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 08:15:53 AM

I would also like to see a video of zheer playing, but I shall not be looking for reasons to doubt what he advises to me. I take all the advice I am given on my playing, and use any and/or as much of it as I need.

Zheer, I'm confused by your last sentence 'YOUR FAILURE TO REPLY IMPLIES.....' What does it imply?

Ok Henrah i will post a video of me playing the piano, and am flaterd that your are intrested in watching a vid of me. However even though i can get the vid of me playing on my computer haw can i then post this.?

the imply, means she does not have a valid reason, do you want me to delet it.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:33:07 AM
No no, there's no need to delete it. I was just wondering what you meant by it.

To post a video, you can upload it to SaveFile and, once it's done uploading, it will give you a link to a page to download it from so you can simply copy and paste the link here. You can also use Rapidshare but they only allow you to download one or two every hour, and so aren't very reliable when it comes to multiple downloading. However, when you are uploading they give you progress information, and an amount of time left until it's finished, which SaveFile do not. With SaveFile you will never know when it will finish, and just have to keep checking back to the page to see if it has.

Btw, what will you be playing in this video? In fact, what pieces by what composers can you play? I'd love to also learn a piece you know/are learning so we can converse about such matters as how to play it, what the composer might have wanted etc etc. I think it would be beneficial to both of us!
Henrah

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 10:59:28 AM

Btw, what will you be playing in this video? In fact, what pieces by what composers can you play? I'd love to also learn a piece you know/are learning so we can converse about such matters as how to play it, what the composer might have wanted etc etc. I think it would be beneficial to both of us!
Henrah

Hi henrah, well if it works it will be something i have all-ready posted in a mp3 format in the audition room by beethoven + the 1st MVT of moonlight sonata.  However Savefile only do 60 MB max so i dont know if it will work, since this vid is 540 MB. Anyway its uploading so i will have to wait and see.

Sure we can discuss composers and pieces later. :)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 11:23:02 AM
Sorry file is too big.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 12:50:02 PM
Wow...540mb? That's huge!! Maybe reduce the resolution to 320x240, or compress it to make it smaller...

Rapidshare allow a 100mb limit, so if you can get it under that you can upload it.

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 12:55:17 PM
Hi henrah, I watched the videos of both Chopin Preludes and I think you play them good.  :)

I do want to give some own opinions about the way you play the No.4 Prelude. This is really a matter of taste and you play the No.4 real nice, but it didn't "touch" me if you know what I mean. Of course, your playing it in a video and the sound quality could be better, I know, but I really listen to the way you play this Prelude. I'm not gonna compare you with a proffesional pianist, but I really do like the way how Sergio Tiempo plays this Prelude (of course, he's playing on a Steinway and has a nice video recording, but I only talk about the way he plays it... Let this be clear  ;) ). I watched Sergio's video of the No.4 Prelude many times and I heard a lot of recordings by many pianists of the No.4 Prelude, but in my eyes, nothing can beat Sergio's performance of it.

Anyway, you did a nice job and I like your piano!!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 04:00:36 PM
Ok, Zheer first things first...I have heard ur performance beethoven Tempest before and I enjoyed it...So i dont think bad of u or anything but I would still like to see how a pianist executes a composition than to listen him/her talk about how they performed it or how better to perform it....the real recording can speak for itself.....well this is true for any artist I chose the word pianist ofcourse its a piano forum....

Second Chopin Preludes are over-rated, musically, compositionally. I will venture in to the composition aspects in a bit...but think about this for a moment...THere is this guy I dont even know his name , henrah's friend, he wrote a great composition, technically, musically but may not surpass Chopin's other compositions (Nocturnes, mazurkas, polonaises....etc) but defnitely better than preludes in terms of its musicality but pianists wont perform it. Even all the comment here are all directed toward how he played the Chopin's mediocre Prelude as opposed to a original beautiful composition from his friend. The fundamental problem here is : Just becaus composers like Mozart, beethoven, chopin, Rach and Liszt wrote great compositions doesnt mean all their comps are great...they are churned out mediocre compositions as well, just like every artist....and its up to a great performance artist to boldly decide which ones are truly the best....

Alkan wrote far more superb songs than Liszt, schumann put together....but look what happened , pianists would rather perform Chopin's prelude than Alkans Grand Sonata or
Chpoins Etude for 1000th Millionth time than venture in to something new and beautiful.....Now compositionally I would say how Chopin is mediocre in most of his preludes shortly.....

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 04:46:02 PM
I just listened to your friends composition and I think it's great, very nice composition!  :D

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 05:54:17 PM
Am sorry Martha, but when you think about the fact that chopins prelude in E minor was written almost 200 years ago and that henrahs friends composition was written recently ( though its promising ) it hardly reaches the hights that chopin reached. Chopins music is so distinct and so important as far as it shaped haw composers after him wrote music, that you can not look down on them, but can only say that you personally dont like them.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 07:03:27 PM
No...You dont have to be Sorry Zheer...its ok to be wrong!
Well,  Chopin did influence the composers that came after him in a big way, he changed the the perspective of Piano Playing too...but thats not my point, I am not comparing Chopin and Henrah's friend ...look at my earlier posts, but Chopin prelude in Eminor and Henrah friend composition is my comparison here. and I dont think Chopin prelude did anything to influence anybody....much less Liszt or Rach or any future composer for that matter....
His prelude no matter which beautiful or delusional prism u use to look at is still mediocre at  its best....
Also some of what u said is exactly whats my point...Ok , So he did influence a buncha composers after his time ...so what, get over it, its almost 200 years and no new innovations have happened because of this kinda blind-sidedness....Chopin used Cheap melancholy and setimentalism in substitute for real art....Some how Artistry is mistaken to be sad, melancholic and sentimental music....

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 07:22:10 PM

I liked both preludes, well done mate!

If I could suggest anything, maybe a little more rubato and dynamic on No4? Its my belief that this prelude is all about expression.

Prelude 6 may be a tiny bit quick?

Nice job!

Steve Jones

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 07:33:53 PM
which beautiful or delusional prism u use to look at is still mediocre at  its best....

I would like to continue this discussion with you, but i have to go and cut my finger nail's.  ::)

Offline allthumbs

Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 05:44:17 AM

Thank you allthumbs, what a wonderful compliment!

You are welcome!

Thankyou also for the Sergio Tiempo video! I hope not to offend you, or anyone else by saying this, but I don't like Tiempo's use of rubato so much. I find that he slows down then speeds up after every change in the RH, and I think he overuses it. Although I love it from the forte section to the end, that is simply marvelous playing. He is wonderful at dynamics, but I find his rubato in this piece a bit too exaggerated.

No offence taken, I agree with you that he over uses the rubato to the point of playing the piece rather unevenly. I included this video, as I too enjoyed his dynamics and the way he played the last three chords especially.

Cheers

allthumbs

Serial # 118 562

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 06:00:12 AM
Hey Henrah.

I really liked your friends composition,very nice.Can you possibly get the sheetmusic or PDF for it i liked so much i want to learn it 8) ;D.How long have you been playing? You have good "piano fingers" i believe,since mine are short and stubby,ugh, which i dred  :-X :'(

On Prelude4 the the LH seems like it is drowning out the RH,maybe you could be me softer when playing the LH,just a suggestion,well since it was told to me ;D. I liked the way you did the crescendo/forte on Prelude 6.You have a nice "touch" on piano.Great Job by the way.
the metranome is my enemy

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 06:09:18 AM
You are welcome!

No offence taken, I agree with you that he over uses the rubato to the point of playing the piece rather unevenly. I included this video, as I too enjoyed his dynamics and the way he played the last three chords especially.

Cheers

allthumbs

I agree totally on his use of rubato. There comes a point where it ceases to be a mechanism of expression and simply becomes untidy!

Then again, this piece is horrible when played mechanical, so some kind of happy medium is require, imo at least.

Offline allthumbs

Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 06:17:50 AM

Then again, this piece is horrible when played mechanical, so some kind of happy medium is require, imo at least.

I think you hit the nail right on the head!
Serial # 118 562

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 07:59:39 PM

One does ones best  ;D

Shame I cant play for toffee...

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 08:00:33 PM
Hi henrah, I watched the videos of both Chopin Preludes and I think you play them good. :)

I do want to give some own opinions about the way you play the No.4 Prelude. This is really a matter of taste and you play the No.4 real nice, but it didn't "touch" me if you know what I mean. Of course, your playing it in a video and the sound quality could be better, I know, but I really listen to the way you play this Prelude. I'm not gonna compare you with a proffesional pianist, but I really do like the way how Sergio Tiempo plays this Prelude (of course, he's playing on a Steinway and has a nice video recording, but I only talk about the way he plays it... Let this be clear ;) ). I watched Sergio's video of the No.4 Prelude many times and I heard a lot of recordings by many pianists of the No.4 Prelude, but in my eyes, nothing can beat Sergio's performance of it.

Anyway, you did a nice job and I like your piano!!

Cheers infected mushroom!

I know what you mean about it not 'touching' you, I realise that you can't touch everyone with a single interpretation. There will always be some that it doesn't, but thankyou even so for commenting!

I liked both preludes, well done mate!

If I could suggest anything, maybe a little more rubato and dynamic on No4? Its my belief that this prelude is all about expression.

Prelude 6 may be a tiny bit quick?

Nice job!

Steve Jones

Thanks for the comments Steve! I know what you mean by No.4 being all about expression, and I am slowly - but surely - coming to my own expressive imagination, and am finding new ways everyday. I shall seriously consider your comment :) I am always playing No.4 differently, everytime I play it, because everytime I play it I'm in a different mood and am thinking/feeling different things - so it's very hard to tie down my own thoughts on this piece.
Cheers Steve!

Hey Henrah.

I really liked your friends composition,very nice.Can you possibly get the sheetmusic or PDF for it i liked so much i want to learn it 8) ;D.How long have you been playing? You have good "piano fingers" i believe,since mine are short and stubby,ugh, which i dred :-X :'(

On Prelude4 the the LH seems like it is drowning out the RH,maybe you could be me softer when playing the LH,just a suggestion,well since it was told to me ;D. I liked the way you did the crescendo/forte on Prelude 6.You have a nice "touch" on piano.Great Job by the way.

Hey Instromp, thanks for the kind words! I can only supply the sheet music in Sibelius 2 format, as I have no idea how to export it as a/to a pdf document. Oh and I've been playing for 6-7years cumalitive :D
Right with you there on the LH being softer! I am constantly trying to play soflty and yet also keep the volume at a steady level, and it is a very hard task. I need to find the softest I can play on my piano, then learn how to play it like that continuously. Thanks again!

I agree totally on his use of rubato. There comes a point where it ceases to be a mechanism of expression and simply becomes untidy!

You are unabolishedly correct there Steve. So true, so true...

Martha, Zheer is right. All you are talking about is your personal opinion on Chopin's preludes and on my friends composition, and on the popularity of some composers overriding the lesser knowns. All I can advise is to be more objective, and see the arguement from the other participant's point of view and really take it into consideration.

Zheer, hope your nails are looking lovely! ;D ;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 02:28:07 AM
Martha, Zheer is right. All you are talking about is your personal opinion on Chopin's preludes and on my friends composition, and on the popularity of some composers overriding the lesser knowns. All I can advise is to be more objective, and see the arguement from the other participant's point of view and really take it into consideration.

Henrah! With all due respect, You have no idea what you are talking about, I made a very objective analysis and please read the posts properly before commenting, I dont need ur advice on anything much less about classical music! Stop saying its my opinion and stop suckin up to zheers....God I shud have known, you are the spokes-person for zheer....."Martha! Zheer is right!" Says the classical Guru!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Yeah right!! BTW its ur interpretation of Chopin that really sucked....please stay away from Well known composers may be u shud stick to playing ur friends composition...

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 03:30:21 AM
BTW its ur interpretation of Chopin that really sucked....please stay away from Well known composers may be u shud stick to playing ur friends composition...

Hmm someone sounds upset about sometihng :-\

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2006, 07:40:12 AM
BTW its ur interpretation of Chopin that really sucked....please stay away from Well known composers may be u shud stick to playing ur friends composition...

Are you American?

BTW why should he stay away from well known composers, thats a little rude. Infact i would love to hear Henraha play more Chopin, it would be even better if he could re-record prelude in E minor and re-post it so we can see haw it has developed.

BTW its good to have an opinion that is personal, but you must remember that thats all that it is, a personal opinion.

Offline raymond_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 10:18:17 AM
Anyway from a composers' point of view I would say most of Chopin preludes are over-rated and shouldnt even be performed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001GEC/104-3384681-7821560?v=glance&n=5174

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 05:03:27 PM
Infact i would love to hear Henraha play more Chopin, it would be even better if he could re-record prelude in E minor and re-post it so we can see haw it has developed.
Thankyou zheer, I am currently learning prelude No.15 - The Raindrop, and when I finish it I will be glad to post it here. Also I have been developing No.4 more, but I still have a way to go. When I feel satisfied with my progress, I shall post the video here also.

Cheers again for all your comments guys, I really appreciate them!
Watch this space,
Henrah

Offline tuckerkao

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 06:58:31 PM
Cheers infected mushroom!

Thanks for the comments Steve! I know what you mean by No.4 being all about expression, and I am slowly - but surely - coming to my own expressive imagination, and am finding new ways everyday. I shall seriously consider your comment :) I am always playing No.4 differently, everytime I play it, because everytime I play it I'm in a different mood and am thinking/feeling different things - so it's very hard to tie down my own thoughts on this piece.
Cheers Steve!

Hey Instromp, thanks for the kind words! I can only supply the sheet music in Sibelius 2 format, as I have no idea how to export it as a/to a pdf document. Oh and I've been playing for 6-7years cumalitive :D
Right with you there on the LH being softer! I am constantly trying to play soflty and yet also keep the volume at a steady level, and it is a very hard task. I need to find the softest I can play on my piano, then learn how to play it like that continuously. Thanks again!

You are unabolishedly correct there Steve. So true, so true...

Zheer, hope your nails are looking lovely! ;D ;D

I agree with steve, zheer and henrah. People are posting their compositions here for appreciations and encouragements, not for sharp critics or narrow sided personal claims. Even those compositions that have been written by Chopin or Liszt, not each of them stood out amazingly or enjoyed by the later generations. Only the works such as Etude Revolutionaire, Heroic Polanaise or Feux Follets that introduced the conprehensive melodies with a theme storyline that capture the hearts and memories of the audiences, gained the popularities, which were needed for the piano works to be remarkable and thus being played million times on the concert halls worldwide later on.

Most of us are here learning to be more professional and more realistic towards popularity from daily improvement with supports from each other. It's definately okay to relate your own compositions to Chopin, Beethoven and Liszt, because you are inspired by them and then write yours. Henrah and her friend are creditting their success to Chopin after learning the Preludes and composed a version of their own. If biased comments are being placed, there must be something you don't like in any of the music works composed by anyone except your very own around the world. Leaving a good comment is much better than leaving a negative response. Think positively about others before launching your cannons toward other forum members, Martha. Thank you!

The link below will direct to my page which will demonstrated you some chord combinations of Prelude that leads to the Etude.

https://www.fanmusicreview.com/displaystory.jsp?id=836

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 08:00:52 PM
Henrah and her friend are creditting their success to Chopin after learning the Preludes and composed a version of their own.

::) Um, hehe....I'm a guy, and so is my friend.... ;D ;D Oh and he (Barnaby is his name, feel free to use it....or bananaby as we call him :P) didn't really credit his success, if he had any, to Chopin. Sorry to kind of burst your bubble, but he based his composition off of Rach's Prelude in C#minor and Liszt's La Campanella, two of his favourite showy pieces.

I do agree with everything else you have said though, just not the gender part ehehe :D
Thanks,
Henrah

Offline tuckerkao

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2006, 08:54:01 PM
Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor is also one of my favorite pieces. I have also composed one of my piano pieces based on that style. My piece is called "D-Day of A Greenhouse Botanist". You may click the link below which will direct you to the listening page if you are interested in listening. The mp3 player is on the web no downloads needed. Pay attention to the middle part where the cascades of chords flashes down.

https://www.fanmusicreview.com/displaystory.jsp?id=1149

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:16 PM
That's quite nice Tucker, I can definately see how it came from the style of Rach's prelude...very imageretic, if that's even a word :P

Could you post the sheet music to it? I'd love to learn it, it will be my fourth completed piece!!
Henrah

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 11:02:41 PM
::) but he based his composition off of Rach's Prelude in C#minor and Liszt's La Campanella, two of his favourite showy pieces.

HAHa!!! I knew it, because i was thinking in my head it sounds way familiar to something i heard.I thought it was just me.But i was right,lol. Just had to put in my 2 cents 8) ;D

Offline tuckerkao

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006, 08:26:33 PM
I have downloaded the video file of the composition of Henrah's friend and watched his performance. The piano sounds awesome with powerful bass tunes, the dynamic is great for the G# harmony minor chords which shows great passions and rhythms. The piano playing is very professional with rapid fingerings and chord exchanges. I like Henrah's big hand and hair style which is very similar to many of the friends in my social group.

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: March 16, 2006, 09:16:20 PM
I downloaded the file also, and i showed it to my teacher and he loved it alot. :D

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2006, 09:50:06 PM
Wow, thanks Tuckerkao! Your post sounds very much like a review ;D;D and it was a great one, cheers!

Thankso also intromp, it's great to hear that a teacher liked my playing!!

Man, this is doing wonders for my self confidence, thanks guys!!
Henrah

Offline yamaha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: March 17, 2006, 02:24:34 PM
Hi Hehrah  :)

I have thought of a way you could save your friends composition as a PDF.............  you could print the music out and then scan it back into the computer and re-save as PDF  :D :D :D

Hopefully...................

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: March 17, 2006, 03:41:27 PM
Sounds like a plan Yamaha, but unfortunately my printer is messed up. Stupid Epsom printers, never work >:( There are printer catridges in there, that worked a couple of weeks ago, but have suddenly kicked up and now it doesn't recognise them :-\

Offline yamaha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: March 17, 2006, 05:01:45 PM
 :(  You must find a way  ;)

Offline xire

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: March 23, 2006, 03:50:59 PM
Hi henrah,

Very nice playing! I like the way you're playing those Chopin Preludes.

Also, your friend's composition is just great, I really like it. It's really the type of composition wich is gonna get stuck in my head, if you know what I mean.  ;D

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: March 23, 2006, 04:19:15 PM
Eheheh, yeah I know exactly what you mean ;D

Thanks for the kind words Xire, tis greatly appreciated!
Henrah

Offline kyle556

Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006, 04:00:12 AM
  Are you American?

BTW why should he stay away from well known composers, thats a little rude. Infact i would love to hear Henraha play more Chopin, it would be even better if he could re-record prelude in E minor and re-post it so we can see haw it has developed.

BTW its good to have an opinion that is personal, but you must remember that thats all that it is, a personal opinion.

Hey hey hey, I'm American.  So what?  What does that have to do with Martha's rudeness?  Don't steriotype.  =)

And btw, your friends composition is really wonderful!  I really loved the way it developed into those poweful chords after being so soft and gentle.

Great job on those preludes as well! 

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006, 02:38:24 PM
Hey hey hey, I'm American.  So what?  What does that have to do with Martha's rudeness?  Don't steriotype.  =)

And btw, your friends composition is really wonderful!  I really loved the way it developed into those poweful chords after being so soft and gentle.

Great job on those preludes as well! 
Yeah! Thats what I am talking about

Offline kyle556

Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006, 07:44:39 PM
About the stereotype thing, or the Composition?

:PKyle
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert