Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What does your edition say (Dante sonata)  (Read 3315 times)

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
What does your edition say (Dante sonata)
on: November 02, 2006, 04:32:33 PM
A friend of mine discovered a strange error in the dante sonata. On page 27, in the part with the Andante tremolos, in the 8th measure after the andante start, the tremolos go downwards in octaves: A - G - F#. This is the same in 3 different editions i have. However, in the recordings of Leslie howard, Lazar berman, Enrico pace and some guy named Barillan, they all seem to play G# instead of G. The only one playing correctly that i have heard so far is Andsnes. Can anyone compare with other recordings or shed some light to this matter? I am using the cortot edition.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: What does your edition say (Dante sonata)
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:49:35 PM
A friend of mine discovered a strange error in the dante sonata. On page 27, in the part with the Andante tremolos, in the 8th measure after the andante start, the tremolos go downwards in octaves: A - G - F#. This is the same in 3 different editions i have. However, in the recordings of Leslie howard, Lazar berman, Enrico pace and some guy named Barillan, they all seem to play G# instead of G. The only one playing correctly that i have heard so far is Andsnes. Can anyone compare with other recordings or shed some light to this matter? I am using the cortot edition.

My Henle urtext says G and my recording by Stephen Hough too.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 11:14:58 PM
curious, as always, about musicological questions - i googled various things to find out what other said about this 'discrepancy.'  the only thing i have found so far is a short description of a lecture from david trippett (harvard uni) who said:

"the dante sonata was notated and revised by liszt over nineteen years (1839-1858) in at least four manuscripts, using three copyists, and four titles...the dante sonata is the static embodiment of thousands of hours of improvisation captured in 'logical' form..."

he mentions self-borrowing and interchangeability of texts - as normal. 

www.ams-net.org/Abstracts/2005-CD.pdf  (approx. pg 71)  friday morning

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 12:40:05 AM
my recording by Stephen Hough too.

How is it?

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 08:06:24 AM
Thanks pianistimo :)

Despite all these manuscripts i am still to see an edition wich has a g# in it. Wolfis urtext has a G, and the one on piano.ru has a g. That makes 5 different editions, and still the majority seems to play the G#. Really strange. Does anyone have the editio budapest?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 11:23:54 AM
How is it?

It is  great, i love it. :) Virtuoso and rich in content.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 06:47:09 PM
I'm at university right now, so I can't tell you what my Dover edition at home has.  However, in the edition available for download here at pianostreet, the G tremolo has #'s in brackets.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 04:03:25 PM
My Schirmer edition has no sharp or natural sign, so it is a G natural. My Edito Musica Budapest edition specifically has the natural sign, with the following footnote:

"*The g's are not altered to g-sharp in any of the editions (used for the editing of this edition)"

Phil

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 04:16:23 PM
Send an email to Howard and ask him about it. He may not be the greatest Liszt performer. He is a musiciologist as well.
"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 04:18:24 PM
That is quite interesting phil, thanks.

And thank you prometheus, ill do just that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert