Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Etude op 25 no 12 "Ocean"  (Read 6490 times)

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Etude op 25 no 12 "Ocean"
on: January 02, 2007, 03:35:15 AM
here are two recs i made of it today for summer programs.

please tell me which is better

one was mic'd lid up, but my piano is really bright and percussive, one was mic'd lid down

Offline rach3pianoconcerto

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Etude op 25 no 12 "Ocean"
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:37:25 AM
Unfortunately i am unable to give you any advise there pal for i am levels and levels below you. Although i was wondering something. How do you go about taclking a piece like that.....it looks as though each hand is doing something different. Did you start hands separate. And lastly how long did it take you to actual get this piece in your fingers?
Regards
Mike

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:54:24 AM
Unfortunately i am unable to give you any advise there pal for i am levels and levels below you. Although i was wondering something. How do you go about taclking a piece like that.....it looks as though each hand is doing something different. Did you start hands separate. And lastly how long did it take you to actual get this piece in your fingers?
Regards
Mike

its annoying as hell to learn this one up to tempo.

You just have to think about each piece you do a LOT and what would make it sound better/feel better etc.  In this case, its easy to accent the groupings of 3's (btw, the left hand does the same pattern, but in different arpeggios).  So I would accent every 4 notes (it repeats in 3s) so as to get the right sound.  I would also focus on connecting the thumb and pinky.  I did not start hands separate, especially because its the same thing in both hands.  Key for learning Chopin etudes and building speed is to use the metranome very slowly and go up notch by notch

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:33:18 PM
wow .... how many years  do you play all in all?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:15:04 PM
since 2nd grade with three years completely off.... so i guess that would be 9 years.  I'm a junior in college.

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:44:21 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA MAN IM AFRAID this is:

completely sheet, true :)

Offline dummass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:40:03 PM
You maybe shouldn´t be so romantic before all the melodic notes.. Nice, though!

Offline brahms4me

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:54:07 AM
WOW!  I like your interpretation.  It was very smooth all the way through and I caught the melody line which can get blurred if one isn't careful.  Good for you!  Perhaps you could make more of an effort to drive the tempo a bit faster at the end.  It seemed as if you may have slowed it down a tad.    But overall I'm very impressed!  Just keep working on it and you'll get even better. 

(Because I'm not a Gold member I couldn't hear the 2nd recording )
Be a thief and take the listener's breath away.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 03:43:30 AM
i could hear the ocean - but i didn't hear the 'waves' as much as i'd like.  i'd like to hear it lead up to a climax.  it started too loud, imo.  i'd play it with the lid down and work your way up to the sound.  the lid down (or halfway down) will help you a bit and make it more dramatic. 

(i couldn't play this piece in a million years - i don't think - so please don't take this crit as anything major).

you have the 'con fuoco' part down extremely well.  i like the impetus to it!  and, i agree with dumass that if you do not hesitate before the melody notes - then the other spot in the piece where you play the melody with no hesitation - will meld.

Offline nocturnelova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:31:59 PM
 :o Wow nine years eh? That would probably be a great thing to watch as well as listen to! Very good, that's the first time I've heard that particular etude but it was really really good! I have only started lessons since June last year so yeah can't really go much further than saying how GREAT it was ! I wonder whether I could play anything like that?? I can't tell yet, but I've just started so at least I still have hope!!!!!!! ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert