Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - etude op. 25 No. 6 (thirds)  (Read 15907 times)

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - etude op. 25 No. 6 (thirds)
on: August 22, 2008, 05:36:45 PM
Hi everyone

This is a relatively new recording of me playing Chopin's thirds etude (op.25 No. 6)

Would be happy to know what you think

Ishay
"The laws of morality are also those of art" - Robert Schumann

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - etude op. 25 No. 6 (thirds)
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:08:46 PM
Wow really well done .... I think the tempo is just right. Of all the chopin etudes, I think with years of practice I would somehow manage to learn them. But this etude. I could never imagine to play thirds that FAST???

May I know how you practiced this piece?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:16:10 PM
Impressive!
Your last downward run seemed to go a little more subito than the rest of the piece. You should listen to see if you think you rushed it. That may be too subjective a criticism as your interpretation of the Etude was very good.
 Excellent playing.

What piano did you play & did you record in a studio; what equipment did you use?
The quality is very good.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:19:39 PM
i'm just in awe.  thirds are so hard to play like that.  can't really comment on the rest.  never played it.  i like listening, however.

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:59:18 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

It was played on a Hamburg Steinway D, with professional recording equipment. Can't tell what equipment exactly - a professional technician made it.

ganymed, I can't tell you much about how I practiced it - and generally I don't think it would be a good idea to pass ideas about practicing or technique in these forums. Many things can be done through the web, but in this case I think confusion is more likely to be the outcome than any real progression. Piano technique is an extremely delicate issue which still requires an intimate one-on-one situation.

Ishay
"The laws of morality are also those of art" - Robert Schumann

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:46:07 PM

ganymed, I can't tell you much about how I practiced it - and generally I don't think it would be a good idea to pass ideas about practicing or technique in these forums. Many things can be done through the web, but in this case I think confusion is more likely to be the outcome than any real progression. Piano technique is an extremely delicate issue which still requires an intimate one-on-one situation.

Ishay

::) ::) ::)

Sounds good!  The opening is too dry for my taste; it doesn't properly set up the mood for the piece.

Your left hand phrasing sounds square to me.  Have you ever read James Huneker's book, "Chopin: Man and Music"?  This is an interesting book (unpalatable to many, because written in an overblown, Bostonian-Victorian style) in which he talks about most of Chopin's pieces individually.

For this etude, he shows versions of several editions that were published.  In those days, famous pianists often made editions of the works that they played, with their own idiosyncratic accentuations, phrasings, pedal markings, fingerings, etc.  This doesn't happen anymore, but it happened a lot back then, and a lot of those editions are no longer available.

In any case, he shows the left hand passage from this etude in a few different editions, and the range of accentuations is very surprising.  I urge you to look at this, because you approach the left hand in a very literal way, but also in a way that strikes me as square.  I think it can be more artistic, more interesting, more vocal and less literal.  I think that about a lot of Chopin performances, though.

Good job!

Walter Ramsey

PS I don;t have the book handy, but when I get to my library, I will type out the exact editions he quotes, and any other relevant information.

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:09:00 PM
what a wonderful recording - you pay attention to every detail. I consider this etude to be the most difficult out of Op. 25, for me at least. The downward runs on the second page are wonderful, and I love the emphasis on the bass line in the left hand.

You have a wonderful double notes technique.

Please post more of your recordings,

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 02:52:09 AM
Hi Ishay,

This is superb playing as usual, aided by a formidable technique.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!

David 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianomx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 01:10:26 PM
Amazing! Sound is great and thirds are perfectly balanced and synchronized all the time. Technically is very impressive!
Just one thing though, if I may: you stop on the first note every time you start a new fragment. It's cool on the first dropping scale (the one from D#) but doing it every time kinda ruins the thing. I know is easier to play the passages when you pronounce very clearly the first notes and add a bit of tenuto as you did, but maybe you should look for the opportunity of not doing it every time. And your left hand could be much carefully handled. But hey, I'm not the one to say or critic in a bad way. I'm trying to play this etude since one month, I hope I can play it as well as you some day :)

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:00:13 PM
very very good
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline michel dvorsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 05:40:10 AM
It's a very beautiful recording. Congrats.

Now that you have the technique to play this piece virtually perfectly, the only way you'll come close to Lhevinne in terms of overall excitement is if you take some chances.  Be romantic!
"Sokolov did a SH***Y job of playing Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto." - Perfect_Pitch
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert