Poll

Is anyone sick of posts like these?

Yes
26 (72.2%)
No
10 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: HA HA HA  (Read 4376 times)

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
HA HA HA
on: May 12, 2005, 02:06:19 AM
     Hi, I'm new to the piano forum and i just wanted everbody's input on a new piece I'm thinking about playing.  I'm relatively new to piano, well, to music for that matter.  I have been playing for about three weeks, and have had no musical training previous.  I am practicing a steady 45 minutes a day and have already instantly learned how to read and sight read pretty much everything.  I only have one problem, which is that when I served in the military, a freak accident resulted in the amputation of the third and fifth fingers on my left hand and the fourth finger on my right.  Only a slight drawback really.  Anyway, I am progressing very rapidly and was wondering if it would be alright to start on Balakirev's Islamey?  I have sight read through it a few times and it seems pretty simple and actually repetative once you've mastered the few tricky bits.  Should i go for it? Or maybe I should wait a few weeks? I would love your input on this!

Thanks!

(Ok, you have got to give me creative credit on this one! It's kinda based on the "FI" post in "teaching", but I have seen so many like it, its beginning to bother me.)

Medtner is my god.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: HA HA HA
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 04:25:50 AM
I admit I do wonder why such things are posted at all. They indicate a severe lack of confidence on the part of their authors. After all, it is a fairly simple procedure to try a piece out for a reasonable time. It soon becomes very obvious if it is not going to be practical to learn it. Nobody needs advice about trying something, for heaven's sake. For this reason, I conclude that practical advice is the last thing the posters really want to hear. Most posts of the type seem to require a sort of "moral permission" to try something, a situation I find very strange as I've never felt the need of anybody's permission to try anything in music.

In short, I feel that this type of post (and like you, I'm at a loss as to why there are  so many of them) has more to do with psychology than with music.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 04:32:04 AM
I agree with you that is is phsycological! That is the exact reason I created this topic!  ;D But also, I find them irritating, because of how ridiculous they are! [As in length of time playing before starting the piece (always very hard)]. Glad we share the same opinion! Like the imitation?  (I'm quite pround of it *whistling quitely*)
Medtner is my god.

Offline aajjmb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 04:42:14 AM
I agree here!  I get so sick of Newbs who have no clue about piano saying ridiculous things like
"I've played for 3 months... I've been practising FI fr 1 week and I have it memorized... would you consider me a musical genious?"  (lol quiet wisper)
It really starts too get on my nervs because they OBVIOSLY don't understand how much work and years of practise it takes to learn such a complex piece!  You couldn't even learn how to read 2 clefs well in 3 months.
I congradulate you Mr. Smalls for such a wonderfull story and hope that people quit trying to show off on a chat room because they suck too much wang to show off in real life!

Merci beaucoup,
AAJJMB
I learnt and memorized Fantasie Impromptu In 2 hours!

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 02:22:57 PM
do you think i'll make it to curtis or juilliard? haha

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 02:38:30 PM
do you think i'll make it to curtis or juilliard? haha

only when you've played the piano for no longer than a few months. tds ;D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 04:13:29 PM
Requiring "moral permission" of others to try something new is something I'm unfortunately quite familiar with, though not in music, thank God.

I used to be into video game programming---once I got into the competitive "qbasic rpgs" scene (I dunno if its still around...probably not..)...and met some people like in the fake post above,  I took them all seriously and felt horrible about myself. I started asking everyone: "SHOULD I try re-deriving such and such an algorithm? SHOULD I start working on such and such a project?"

And it was all for a hobby! Isn't that horrible? I know first hand how destructive this mentality is.  I have been blessedly free of this at piano.....

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:18:55 PM
I ---Have to say...I really enjoyed it!!!!!!!

John Cont

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 12:25:00 AM
only when you've played the piano for no longer than a few months. tds ;D

hahahahahahahahaha

;D ;D ;D

tds you are too funny

I ---Have to say...I really enjoyed it!!!!!!!

John Cont

Glad you did, it's my latest cynical brainchild....
Medtner is my god.

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 01:25:13 AM
I wish there would be more threads like that -- can't get enough.  ::)

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 01:35:06 AM
hey i just passed away 5 minutes ago..am i ready to perform every chopin etude and mozart concerto at carnegie hall?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 02:46:55 AM
hey i just passed away 5 minutes ago..am i ready to perform every chopin etude and mozart concerto at carnegie hall?
"I'd say try waiting a few more weeks, I mean, it only took me 3 or 4 days to learn mostly all the transcendental etudes after I died, but I am a musical genius, go for it!"

Omg I love mocking people....
Medtner is my god.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 03:35:12 AM
freddy and siberian are the funniest of all!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

ok, now, who is willing to die? sounds like piano gets easier after death. seen the movie "dawn of the dead"? all zombies make great pianists.....ahhh...carnigie halls at every corner of the street.

tds*wants to quit the piano at once* ;D

dignity, love and joy.

Offline pianomann1984

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 07:35:05 AM
Notice that noone here of the 4 that dissagreed has posted their reasoning!  ::)
"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 04:29:26 PM
Notice that noone here of the 4 that dissagreed has posted their reasoning!  ::)

they might think that this thread is pretty childish. OR, they are praying very hard so their london debut would be as exciting as their months of piano learning experience!

now, tds, you are sarcastic!!

tds: someone help me out here :'(
dignity, love and joy.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 04:42:46 PM
they might think that this thread is pretty childish. OR, they are praying very hard so their london debut would be as exciting as their months of piano learning experience!

now, tds, you are sarcastic!!

tds: someone help me out here :'(

tsk tsk....tds, go repent!

tds: someone started it.... :-X
dignity, love and joy.

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 11:52:30 PM
Wow!!!!!!,

What a great mutual admiration society..........

John Cont

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 08:24:31 AM
Wow!!!!!!,

What a great mutual admiration society..........

John Cont

dont be mad because we are all 1337 |-|@x0rZ!!!onewon
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert