Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Balakirev - Oriental Fantasie "Islamey"  (Read 12902 times)

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Balakirev - Oriental Fantasie "Islamey"
on: May 14, 2005, 04:32:40 PM
From my conservatory screening tape. Was paired with Schubert - Fantasie in C D.760

From a while back, hope you enjoy! :)

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thank you for listening.

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Balakirev - Oriental Fantasie "Islamey"
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 04:43:31 PM
too good :P

watch your back!!! mwahahahahahah!!!!!

just kidding.

:D

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 06:03:21 PM
paul wee is crazy!! tds ;D

dignity, love and joy.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 06:04:26 PM
that was a compliment, btw...
dignity, love and joy.

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 10:58:10 PM
The force is strong in this one.
Paul... that is tooooooooo good!
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 01:31:57 AM
I almost fell off my chair listening to it. Too good !!!!  :D. Wow, we're indeed having fun with this board.
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline Alde

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 03:37:13 AM
Wow!

Out of curiosity, was the piano a Mason and Hamblin?

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 06:00:13 AM
Wow.  I really like the fury, and it's really enjoyable to listen to.
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 03:24:23 PM
Well, you play Islamey better (and faster) than Lang Lang.  I heard a recorded live performance of this played by him once.

Great job!
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 12:52:45 PM
This piece is absolutely amazing, I think I'm going to play it too in the future!
At least I hope so  ;D

I think you've done a great job, it sounds very exciting.. Well done  :)

Btw, have you got more records of you playing other pieces of Islamey? I luv the music but I haven't heard so much of it yet..  :-\
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." - Maurice Ravel

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:52:40 PM
ha... haha ... hahaha

i'm only slightly amused

i think you mean "balakirev", and not Islamey. Islamey is the name of the piece. Balakirev is the composer. correct me if i'm wrong... haha

edit: checked out your little site. Nice playing. what are you playing in that video?

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 04:22:17 AM
Yeah, I meant Balakirev instead of Islamey  :-\ After turning off the computer I knew I made a mistake  ::) Hoped to correct it before someone would respond my message, hehe.. Too late  ;) I knew it though, because my teacher wanted to let me play the piece some time..

Btw, is Islamey very hard to play? With what other piece can you compare this one if you think of technically level? I really luv this kind of music! Have you guys heard of Suggestion Diabolique op. 4 of Prokofiev? I played it a while ago, it's very cool!

At my video I play L'Isle Joyeuse of Debussy. Actually it's not that good (the piece didn't really fit with me  :-\) but they needed a record of me for the site.. Hehe.. It's a few months ago though, I play lotsa other pieces at the moment.. Much more fun.. Hehe..

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 07:37:42 AM
I played Suggestion Diabolique last year... I love it!
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 11:46:49 AM
yeh its a cool piece. i used it to vent my frustrations whenever i was pissed off with life. very good.

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 05:34:18 PM
Hehe.. Indeed, Suggestion Diabolique is excellent when you're feeling pissed off ;D
I think the piece is great, there's so much power in it, just like Islamey  :D

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 10:53:50 PM
Thank you for sharing your accomplished playing with us, Paul. Islamey has borne the brunt of much disparagement on forums and elsewhere lately, but I still find it a beautiful piece of music. The only reservation I have - certainly more an expression of preference than a criticism of actual playing, my level of technique and knowledge would not justify the latter - concerns a general musical phenomenon. Once a certain velocity is reached, the nature of rhythm changes. This is most obvious in stride, ragtime and related jazz idioms, where the sensuous nature of the syncopations highlight it, but it also true, I think, of much classical and romantic music. As speed increases, the perception of individual rhythmic cells becomes flattened, as it were, into a uniform pulse. If a uniform pulse is the desired effect, as well it might be for you here, then all well and good, but if rhythmic sublety of phrasing is preferred, then it seems to me an upper limit of velocity exists for it.

In any case, a beautiful recording.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 11:11:49 PM
Wow this piece rocks! I've never heard it before!

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 08:24:40 PM
Thank you all for your kind words!

Alde, the piano is not a Mason, but a 2002 NY Model B.

As for being compared to LL - I'm honoured to be compared to such a technician in this piece, heh. Even if musically I may prefer my own approach ;)

I also find it unfair that Islamey is often disparaged on internet forums by pianists who do not truly understand its importance. I also find it amusing to see so many people claiming its comparative ease in light of its history and reputation as a technical tour-de-force. It's far from the "hardest piece in the world" that it was once touted to be, sure. But it is unfairly denigrated and looked down upon for some reason by many pianists (especially in online communities). So that's one of the reasons that I posted it :) To give it some of the worthwhile attention it deserves.

I don't have any other Balakirev recordings, but maybe one of these days I'll take a look at the Sonata...

Ted, I agree about the sense of the rhythm changing with velocity. Often the scale of rhythm has to be halved to retain any sense of musical coherence (or quartered) with works; some players tend to see this work to have a scale of one pulse per beat, but I see this more as a one pulse per two beats piece; this is probably the most overt way in which my chosen velocity affects the rhythmic pulse. I happen to prefer this pulse musically, but I know that others might not :) I definitely see what you're saying though, and thank you for your criticism!

Technically, Islamey is not easy. It may not be as hard technically as the Clavicembalisticum (but what work wants to be?  ::), but it is not exactly very easy (or some might say even moderately manageable). One thing, though; anybody who says you need big hands for it doesn't really know what they're talking about.  ;)

Thank you all again for your comments though! If anyone has questions about the piece or anything I'm more than happy to answer. Hope you enjoy it :)

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 09:16:49 PM
Nice stuff. Do you still have the video of it anywhere? I had to format my HD the other day.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 11:31:50 AM
I don't have any other Balakirev recordings, but maybe one of these days I'll take a look at the Sonata...

DO IT!!!!

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 12:56:42 AM
i know this is off-topic but i just took that darn SAT may 7 this year and i had fever for 4 days after that.

but men, you've gotta be kidding me!? 1590 for the old SAT??!? are you a genius??
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline simaaili

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 09:00:11 PM
Technic...there is a great distance between you and LL^_^,but I like your music more(mostly at andantino).
If you solved the skill problems in the end and octaves,it would be a excellent performance!
One of my friends have played this piece,would you like to view his video(with feux follets)?;)

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 03:03:53 AM
Heh, about the 1590? Nah, no genius required. Just focus and mental preparation.

Thank you for your kind comments, all. Yeah, this wasn't and wasn't supposed to be an absolutely perfect recording; it was just for a conservatory screening tape, so all I was thinking while doing it was "Just get it good enough...". One of these days I might try to put together a real solid recording of this piece and see how it turns out, but that's definitely not what this is.

Offline mikeyg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 01:16:34 AM
Heh, about the 1590?

I didn't know you could get a 1590.  When I took the old one, I got 800 math and 760 verbal, and I only got 3 wrong.  I thoungt one wrong dropped you to 775 almost automatically.

edit: and don't worry, I'm not doubting you or calling you a liar.
I want an Integra.  1994-2001.   GSR.  If you see one, let me know.

www.johncareycompositions.com/forum

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 02:05:17 AM
Well, there's no such thing as a 775; all SAT scores are in increments of 10. And it depends on the curve for the individual test also.

No worries about doubting or anything, it's all good. In case you want proof, https://e60m5.ath.cx/sat.jpg if you want it. Although you can see my less than perfect SAT II scores =/

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 08:50:52 PM
Thank you for your kind comments, all. Yeah, this wasn't and wasn't supposed to be an absolutely perfect recording; it was just for a conservatory screening tape, so all I was thinking while doing it was "Just get it good enough...". One of these days I might try to put together a real solid recording of this piece and see how it turns out, but that's definitely not what this is.
As humble as always ;). Everything can always be improved but I don't agree with this not being enough solid. The recording is in my opinion splendid when it comes to the very intelligent use of phrasing and dynamics which is so important for this work. I have listened to your interpretation many many times by now and it is more interesting than several CD recordings from famous (well you are a bit famous yourself ;)) pianists.
I look forward to follow your career inte the future.
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 02:45:28 AM
 :o Two thumbs up. Weeeely good work! pardon the pun please dont throw anything. :-[
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 06:42:19 AM
How long did it took you to practice this piece?  :o
It's totally great!

Offline g_flat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: June 12, 2005, 08:55:14 AM
Oh, you people are amazing! If only I had started piano lessons earlier. Well, I'm not really familiar with this piece so I can't make any comparisons, but it doesn't matter. I think everything has pretty much already been said. Technically, it sounds extraordinarily demanding, yet you pull it off. So what... you had a few tumbles.... (and by tumbles, I mean parts where you played musically, and still hit seemingly the correct notes but lacked a bit of clarity). Is a technically flawless performance really your aim? Besides the obvious technique, your musicality and dynamic shading is tremendous.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 12:12:09 AM
Great job man. Just need to chop off those fingernails. I assume that's what that annoying sound was.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2005, 08:14:39 PM
Ur profile says ur 18, are you actually 18?  If so, then ur absolutely insane...in a good way, that recording sounded better than any other I have heard...
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 08:09:44 PM
Noticed some unanswered questions...

Yup, I'm 18. I was 17 though when this was recorded, if that makes any difference...

As for how long I worked on it - I didn't work on it continuously in one go; learnt it many years back, revisited it for a concert, and revisited it again for auditions, stuff like that. So I can't give a definite time length.

Technical perfection is never my primary aim. Nice to have, but I'd rather bring through a powerful effect in my playing than hit all the notes and have it sound rather empty. If I wanted to, I could slow down many places in a piece such as this, and hit all the notes, but it would sound pretty.. hmm... stagnant?

Unfortunately (unfortunately from my point of view only, of course) this isn't the view held by most pianists nowadays.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 12:44:00 AM
technically the only signifigant improvement that could be made is stamina in the second fast section.

when performances are this technically good, the interpretation now comes into question, and i think this is a genuinely good one...if not my favourite.

my favourite is berezovsky live, chekc it out if you havent already.

Offline lombardian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: September 30, 2005, 09:26:37 PM
two words: Holy sh*t :o

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: October 01, 2005, 07:29:06 AM
u're 18??!! good gracious man u must be some sort of prodigy . this one's outta my league for quite a few years. and 1590 SAT!!. congrats (i presume u're at Yale or Harvard or Princeton) :)
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: October 01, 2005, 07:58:38 AM
(or Julliard, of course, i forgot) :-[
btw, i tried to get this recording off pianosociety but the link's been down. lovely playing though.
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: October 30, 2005, 12:29:25 AM
 :o

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 10:06:25 AM
O MY LORD!!! You are some kind of genius!! It's one of my favourite pieces, and I really enyojed in your performance! You have technik, everything is so beatifully done with music and the public have nothing to do than to enyoj!! If you have some more records of you I'm very interesting to listen them!!

Good luck!! ;)

btw.I like more your performance than Lang Lang's; you have more FIRE! :)

Offline I Love Xenakis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 27, 2005, 06:28:28 PM
Paul, Paul, Paul...  dry.  Don't take that as an insult- take it as a pointer.

Less dry.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 02:09:35 AM
whew! great fire! i bow down to u!
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline skeptolotapus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: November 29, 2005, 12:16:52 PM
 :o  :o  :o WOW BRO! This is awesome!  I mean really amazing stuff!  I can only dream of playing like this *sighs* :'(
Yes I was a wannabe but now I'ma back from therapy and I'm for reals-no spellcheks, no copy $ paste to sound smart, and no telling my fantasies like they reals: I AM DA PIMP OF ALL SKEPTICS!!!

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: December 12, 2005, 03:59:14 AM
I noticed too that the download link for this is broken on pianosociety. Wonder if they'll ever get round to fixing it.

Oh, and nope, I'm not at Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Juilliard.  ;D ;D ;D

Glad to see people have been enjoying the recording! I must admit that part of the reason that I'm bumping this is to keep a spot on the internet from where I can download this recording, since PS seems to have pulled it.

Offline chopet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: December 13, 2005, 12:51:29 AM
The link on piano society works fine for me. Had to wait a bit though. Brilliant work by the way!!!  8) 8) 8) Ive played that piece before but you play it better that I do.Sorry if youve been asked this before but How long have you been playing? And great work again by the way  ;D ;D ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert