Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Preludes Op.28 N.4 and N.9  (Read 5711 times)

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Preludes Op.28 N.4 and N.9
on: May 17, 2005, 06:11:03 AM
Find the pieces at replies #7 and #8
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Preludes Op.28 N.4 and N.9
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:18:39 AM
-
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 02:19:01 PM
I heard through the cheap speakers of my PC, so...

I liked your Prel 28-4, and found the left-hand during the soft passages worth to emulate for my own playing. Only I'd attempt to articulate a bit slower the turn in bar 16 so that all the notes could be heard clearly. Also I believe currently that the climax in bars 17-18 is better reached by dynamic only, without any acceleration.

Of course I'm sure that each of us play this lovely piece in many ways along the years, all of them valid, by continuously improving or changing different things.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:36:29 AM
I record through the internal microphone of my e-mac so ...  ;D.

Thanks for your kind comments.
Well concerning the "climax", it's marked "stretto", so... (well maybe it is not on some editions though ?)

Samson François

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 05:03:44 PM
#4. Your balanced seemed excellent! Slow down your turn so you can articulate it better. Use an agogic accent (time rather than sound) on the resolution note. I loved your rest before the final cadence, as well.

I felt your overall tempo was a little slow. Then again, I think everyonen's tempo for this piece is too slow. The tempo indicates slow, but remember the time signature is in two and you have to consider the melody and the HARMONIC RHYTHM. I did a lot of research and study on this piece; I wish I could articulate my point better in writing, but I would have to demonstrate for the best understanding of what I am saying. In other words, don't let the 8th notes articulate your tempo--feel the piece in a slow TWO, consider the rate of which the chords CHANGE, and take the rhythm of the melody into context. Too many people see 8ths notes and a slow tempo marking, and assume it means slow 8th notes. It does not.

#9. Overall, it was good, however, I would strongly consider rubato in your cadences. This piece "starts over" three times, but you blow the yield signs every time. It sounds quite mechanical. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad at all--you could even perform it as you recorded it, but investigate the context a little futher.

Ah, how nice it would be to have intermediate students rather than 6 year olds...

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 05:04:51 PM
Oh, yeah, as far as the "stretto" marking-- yes, you must increase your tempo here, but maybe not so much? Use dynamics to feel an accelerando as well, as suggested.

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 06:42:16 PM
Well concerning the "climax", it's marked "stretto", so... (well maybe it is not on some editions though ?)

You are right, the Stretto marking must be respected. But I'd prefer that acceleration until reaching the climax. I'd turn to the original tempo immediately after.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:40 PM
Here's a new recording of N.9.
Sorry for the bad recording quality.

Samson François

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 03:22:30 PM
N.4 new version.
Had a blank but it sounded like a bizarre rubato so I left it as is.

Samson François

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 03:49:12 PM
 Expressive piano playing,but bad recording equipment.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 03:58:11 PM
Expressive piano playing,but bad recording equipment.
Can't even call it equipment, it's just the built-in microphone of my e-mac

Samson François

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 06:04:12 PM

i'd try to keep the beat of the lh more even and less obvious.  otherwise, i do love the chopin preludes and the 'windy' quality of the rh.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:30:50 PM
.  where have you gone?

Offline barnowl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 02:22:27 PM
Nice job, Quasi!!!

When I get to playing Op 28 No 4, I hope I play it as well as you did.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 02:45:03 AM
Nice job, Quasi!!!

When I get to playing Op 28 No 4, I hope I play it as well as you did.
Thanks for your complimets Barnowl, but actually it's not that nice, pianistimo is right that the LH part is yet to be improved. I deliberately played it slower than I usually do and try to figure out a good rubato, which I didn't achieve.
I don't know where you're at in your piano learning, but I think you could just start learning that one. Getting all the notes down is not a big problem. The hard part is to build the musicality.

Samson François

Offline ada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 03:18:53 AM
Hey quasi I am not a teacher so can't give you the detailed the criticism you probably want but I enjoyed listening to these. I haven't played No. 4 in ages, brings back memories
Bach almost persuades me to be a Christian.
- Roger Fry, quoted in Virginia Woolf
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert