Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rach 2 opening  (Read 2792 times)

Offline nixo1000

• PS Silver Member
Rach 2 opening
on: June 08, 2005, 10:56:42 PM
I just started the Rach 2 however I have small hands and can barely reach a 10th so, on the left hand cord F, C, and A(flat) I can barely play So, I recorded myself rolling the cord, I didn't really like it, and then recorded myself playing  playing C and F, and to my amazement it sounds like the orginal cord, I was wondering if I could just play it like that and no one will notice.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rach 2 opening
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:46:23 PM
Leaving out a note from a three-note chord definitely will not sound like the original chord. Any experienced listener will notice this without any problems and even tell you which note you left out! You need to train your ear more if you think (F,C) sounds like (F,C,Ab). Does it matter? Probably only when you perfom in high-level competitions.

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:35:31 AM
Since Ab is the key note, making the chord minor I reeeeaaaaallly wouldn't leave it out.
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline 6ft 4

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 04:04:12 PM
Ashkenazy had to roll the chord its sounds fine.
I wish i was what i was when i wanted to be who i am now.

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 05:27:41 PM
I'm surprised people cant do 10th, I have normal/small hands (I'm asian), and I can play 10th easily, I've been playing for some time though, and my hands have supposedly deformed a bit, if I stretch my thumb to pinky, it actually makes a straight line (180 degree between both fingers). But rach had surprisingly long fingers, so I would arpeggio it.

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 06:04:10 PM
 In Rachmaninoff's recording he played the F first and then the C and Ab together, as if there were brackets connecting F and the chord of C and Ab.
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline pianojems

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 04:31:10 PM
I have small hands also and just started this concerto. My teacher helped me play the beginning chords..here is what you do ( just like some recording artists)

L.H. play the low F first and then jump to play C Ab and C (from right hand)
continue in the same manner by hitting F and the chords with Both C's played by fingers 5 and 1 while the notes in between change. In the right hand play all the chords without the middle C because it will be played by the left hand.
Make sure that you catch the first F with the pedal so it will be as one chord.
Let me know if you need fingerings for the arpeggiated passages I have them and they work well for small hands.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline kaiwin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 06:27:47 PM
Try a really fast roll. Start SLOW first so you get the feel. Then you get faster.

Also,
Some people keep the tempo (Half note=66) in the intro. Some like to go twice as slow (and i mean twice), like moi :-D

For the next part read this post that i made.

https://www.pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,9144.0.html

Keep practicing... Don't stop playing just because it doesn't work, try to find a way that will work

9 pages!! wooohooo!

Offline pianojems

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:42:44 PM
I'm curious when did you start learning this concerto and how long did it take you to play 9 pages because I just started and it took me two days to learn the first page. I definitely find this a bit of a challenge. The odd number of notes per measure makes it a lot harder too and it keeps changing. ;)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert