Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Is it okay to change time signature briefly during an improvisation?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline ttpiano

There's a piece I want to add some improvisation to, and one of my ideas requires that I switch from triple to quadruple meter for 8-16 measures. Is that considered okay?

I'm kind of new with improvising so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Improvisation?  Whatever works... for you.  There are no rules.
Ian

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
If you're thinking about what you're playing, you might be doing it wrong.
Of course, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it, so that's false too.
Before I create a paradox, let me answer your question- Do whatever works, if it's improv it doesn't really matter.

Offline ttpiano

Thanks, chopinlover and ian.

The original is a waltz, so it kind of seems wrong to go into quadruple meter but that's what I heard in my head and felt like doing. 

Offline michael_sayers

Thanks, chopinlover and ian.

The original is a waltz, so it kind of seems wrong to go into quadruple meter but that's what I heard in my head and felt like doing. 

Hi Ttpiano,

One of the Tchaikovsky symphonies has a "quasi-waltz" in 5/4.  And I've read then Chopin played his Waltzes, they would sound like 4/4 instead of 3/4.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline ttpiano

Thanks Micheal, that makes me feel better about what I'm doing :).

Offline stevensk

Yes, of course! (Why not?)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert