Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: International Piano Competitions!  (Read 1994 times)

Offline kaspersson

International Piano Competitions!
on: August 08, 2014, 06:12:20 PM
I'm going to apply to a international piano competition (Cleveland Young Artists aged 12-18), and I've made a repertoire list that I'll still probably change after I've discussed these choices with my teacher.
I'd love to hear some thoughts from you.

First Round:    A program of 25 minutes, Second Round:     A program of 25 minutes.
All candidates will perform two rounds before the first jury vote.

Round 1 and 2 categories:
-Chopin Étude Category:  A virtuosic étude by F. Chopin, selected from Op. 10 or Op. 25.
-Étude of Free Choice Category:  A virtuosic étude of the candidate’s choice.
-Classical Sonata Category:  A Classical sonata by L. V. Beethoven, J. Haydn, or W. A. Mozart.
-20th/21st Century Category:  A work/group of works written during the 20th or 21st century.

Round 1.
25 min. limit

Chopin - Étude Op.10 No.4
Mozart - Sonata K310
Shostakovich - Prelude and Fugue no.2 A-Minor.
=25 minutes

Round 2.
25 min. limit

Chopin - Étude Op.10 No. 1
Liszt - Étude - Mazeppa
Rachmaninov - Prelude in G-minor
Beethoven - sonata no. 27 Op. 90
= 25 minutes

Semi-Final categories:
-Bach Category:  A work/group of works by J. S. Bach.
-Romantic Composer Category:  A large-scale work/group of works by a Romantic composer.
-Own Choice Category (optional/if time permits):  A work of the candidate’s choice.

Semi-Final
45 min. limit

Bach Partita No. 2, C-Minor (OR Bach W.T.C. Contrapunctus I - IV?)
Beethoven - Appassionata (perhaps this is too cliche, or too mainstream for judges?)
Beethoven - Rondo a Capriccio, Rage over the lost penny
=48 minutes

Final

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.20 K466

Feel free to leave some thoughts, or suggest some other repertoire! :)
Thanks!
“Our riches, being in our brains, die with us... Unless of course someone chops off our head, in which case, we won't need them anyway.”
― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline pianoman8

Re: International Piano Competitions!
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:31:27 AM
Don't you need another etude for round 1?
Looked at your profile and saw you were from Finland and I have a question: (little off topic)
Is it true that there is no homework in Finland?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:31:06 AM

Who told you that? ;D

Offline kaspersson

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:15:14 PM
Don't you need another etude for round 1?
Looked at your profile and saw you were from Finland and I have a question: (little off topic)
There's no time for another etude, because those three pieces already last 25 minutes(max. time amount)
And BTW, we do have homework in Finland! :D
“Our riches, being in our brains, die with us... Unless of course someone chops off our head, in which case, we won't need them anyway.”
― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline pianoman1349

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:22 AM
Just a few suggestions:

Round 2 repertoire:  While all of the works are great, they actually do not neccessarily form a balanced program, as with the exception of the Beethoven, they are very virtuosic in nature.  I would recommend you switch the Chopin etude for something more lyrical or subdued or more focused on pure musicianship and less on technical brilliance.

Semi-final:  Beethoven does not count as a romantic composer.  By romantic, they are typically referring to major works written by composers such as Chopin, Liszt, Schumann, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Grieg, Tchaikovsky ...etc (there are countless others, but this comes to mind).  I would switch the Rondo with something else ... the Appassionata can be quite successful when done well.

Good Luck

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert