Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: What are the saddest piano pieces? Can you name some of them?  (Read 100563 times)

Offline musicioso

• PS Silver Member
Hallo dear people of the forum,

I need some really sad piano pieces. What is in your opinion most sad or even sentimental music written for piano?

Offline emilye

• PS Silver Member
Bach/Busoni - Chaccone in d-minor
Now playing:
Prokofiev - Sonate in d-minor op. 14
Bach/Busoni - Chaccone in d-minor
Bach - II Partita in c-minor
F. Chopin - Barcarole in F sharp major, Op. 60
                Ballade in f-minor

Offline kantsuiex

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Funeral Match :'(

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
chacone is not sad in my opinion. Dramatic.
Sonata by chopin - funeral, also not. Maybe the the name of it I guess is misleading.

I think chopin waltz oddly enough Op 34, No. 2 (the transistion back into the minor key)

Maybe also: Chopin Nocturne in C# minor op. posthumous (who knows what he was doing with the middle "happy" section)

I don't know if this one is "sad".

Some Brahms could be perceived as "sad", but I don't think any Brahms is really sad. Just mesterious and dramatic. Maybe the opening of his 3rd mov of symphony III
&feature=related

Liszt, nothing close that I know. Totentanz def NOT "sad".
Schubert? Starts sad and the quickly likes to transition into major.

Another great example of schubert doing this to a very emotional begining:

Mendelssohn. He has one song without words that is sad I guess. Most of his compositions are not.
Maybe this one:

Schumann, nothing comes to mind.

Beat-hoven? Def. the 3rd mov of tempest:

Pour alise is sad I think. I know it's overdone but still a very nice composition.

Like I said, I dont think there are many "sad" piano peices. Emotional NOT = sad. There are loads of emotional compositions.

Come to think of it, there aren't many "sad" or melancholy piano compositions out there. But it all depends on your perceptions.

You guys will laugh, but Eleana played by Clayderman is sad in my opinion. Written by some french guy I think:

Just my 2 cents, with interest.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
I think a recent thread would provide a good starting point:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=40833.0

Hope you find it useful.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Op 10/3, 2nd Mvt

Bach - F minor Sinfonia

Brahms - Op 118/6

Suk - Things Lived and Dreamed Op. 30.  There are quite a few in here. 

It's not piano, but if you want really sad check out Bach - Wir setzen uns mit Tränen nieder Coro 68 from the St. Matthew Passion. 

Starts at 3:15
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline redbaron

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata 1st mvmt
Chopin - Funeral March
Mendelssohn - Venetian Gondola Song Op 19, No 6
Mussogsky - The Old Castle from Pictures at an Exhibition
Rachmaninov - many, many pieces but Moment Musical in B minor springs to mind
Ravel - Le Gibet from Gaspard de la nuit, extremely oppressive atmosphere
Scriabin - Etude Op 2, No 1

Offline maykapar1

• PS Silver Member

Giazotto-Albinoni - Adagio in G minor, reduction for piano
and at an intermediate level, Catherine Rollin - Lament   

Offline richterfan1

• PS Silver Member
Debussy: Arabesque No.1 in E Major is touching my heart
Beethoven: Pathetique Sonata 2nd movement
Chopin: Nocturne C sharp Posthumne, Nocturne Op.9 No.1, Nocturne Op.27 No.2
Schubert Impromptu No.4 Op.90, Sonata D960 2nd movement
Mozart Sonata K330 C Major 2nd movement
Beethoven Sonata 32 last movement
Chopin piano concerto No.2 in f minor 2nd movement, prelude No.4 in E minor

Offline lohshuhan

Il Lamento by Liszt

Offline philb

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are the saddest piano pieces? Can you name some of them?
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 09:50:41 AM

I don't know if this counts as a piano piece, but nonetheless, sad.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08:08 AM
the 2nd "mvt" of the Wanderer fantasie by Schubert is certainly "sad."  or at least, I think so.  but the other 3 "mvts" are ever so joyous that it's hard to call the whole piece "sad."

I think the problem with this thread is that most of classical music strives for more emotional complexity than just "happy" or "sad."  there's a whole range of nuanced emotion between and beyond those two words.

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 06:16:23 AM
Deleted

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 12:20:12 PM
oy!  that's a rather large rant you linked to.  I like pop music too...some of it.  I think there are good artists out there in all genres, but I agree that a lot of pop music tends toward the superficial.  but look at bands like muse, mars volta, tool, primus, radiohead, killswitch engage, mudvayne, rush, king crimson, etc, and you will see that there are some very talented musicians who go way beyond just the simple pop conventions.  you want complex time signatures?  try lateralus by tool.  you want polyrhythms?  try knights of cydonia by muse, or just about anything by mudvayne or killswitch.  you want a large scale work?  try any number of rush songs, such as 2112 or anything else from this era.

anyway, back to the topic at hand.  "sad" pieces.  what about beethoven op 26 (3rd mvt)?  it is after all the funeral march sonata, and was played at his death.

not for solo piano, but what about Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings?  Seems to be played just about any time someone dies.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:11:35 PM
Ravel: Pavane for a Dead Princess
Ravel: Concerto in G, middle movement
Schubert: Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:48:25 PM
djealnla, I agree.
Sadness and happiness are somewhat initial emotions. For example, when someone is angry, many call it a SECONDARY emotion. Anger due to agitation that stemmed from sadness.
So we could say that classical music and yes - many modern music is not so 2 dimentional.
When I hear agitato portions of a peace, I could say the base emotion is sadness, then agitation.
I think the minor key is definatley associated with core feelings of sadness, which lead to agistation, anger etc... Major progressions are the opposite, base feelings of happiness, leading the joy, victory etc...

A think to keep in mind is that a peace of music, generally the longer ones (flight of bumblebee, minute waltz exluded) are generally more like a story. For those who read novels, there are happy and sad moments. I guess they create contrast.

Speaking of contrast, I used to HATE going to the symphony. I'll go watch a chopin piano concerto, but the 1st 30 minutes they are playing some modern garbage in which I cannot even defirentiate what key it's in. I used to hate it and just show up when it's time for the peice I actually wanted to watch. I still can't stand the modern crap. But now I love being tourchered throughout the entire 30 minute modern symphony because it makes the Brahms Symphony so much more enjoyable - CONTRAST. I think they do it on purpose.

Yesterday we went to a piano recital. 4 chopin, 4 Liszt etudes - obscure. The crowd was much more on they toes  in the chopin part, then when the 2nd and 3rd Liszt, I can tell everyone just wanted to get the hell out of there. It was just ass backwards. You end with the stuff that leaves you in a dreamlike world. Chopin tends to do it to most people. I myself have heard ALL chopin so many times, I can rarly feel anything anymore. Now, that's sad :)

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 04:19:06 AM
Rachmaninoff Elegy Op 3 no 1.

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
This is an interesting exercise.  The Passepied from Debussy's Suite Bergamasque conveys a lot of sadness.  Chopin opus 25 no.7, Bach F-sharp minor prelude from WTC vol. II, about the same.  Chopin op. 25 no. 12 beats Rachmaninoff prelude in F-sharp minor.  Everybody does know that the melodic line of DIES IRAE is in that Chopin etude, don't they?  Just commenting.  But the grand prize goes to Chopin opus 48 no. 1, the nocturne.  In the mid-section is what amounts, in effect, to an anthem, but it gets crushed by gunfire.  If I had all the technique to do what this etude should be thought of as requiring, I would not even strive to make the piano "sing".  I would strive to make the piano testify, as though it were a witness before, say, the International Court of Justice at the Hague, testifying about, say, the experience of the Bosnians.

Offline chopinaninoff

• PS Silver Member
A lot of overplayed pieces in the previous responses...but I would say
1. Chopin etude op 25 no 7
2. Chopin Nocturne op 48 no 1
3. Chopin Nocturne op 62 no 2
4. Rachmaninoff piano concerto no 2
5. Scriabin op 8 no 12
6. Scriabin piano concerto no 1
7. Scriabin preludes op 11 no 7,10,14,20, 22,24
8. Rachmaninoff elegie op 3 no 1
9. Liszt - Canzone Napolitana "Notturno"
10. Tchaikovsky= None but the lonely heart
11. Rachmaninoff Vocalise.
So many more

Offline eminemvsrach

• PS Silver Member
Aside from the ones that are overplayed, I have:

1. Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 1 F# minor
2. Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableaux Op. 33 No. 8 G minor
3. Tchaikovsky Dumka Op. 59

I can't think of anymore on the spot, I will search up more! =]
"Music is Enough for a Lifetime, but a Lifetime is never enough for music."

---Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline wildman

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven's Moonlight sonata 1st movt. is definitely one of the most depressing pieces of any music I've ever heard.

Offline chopinaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven's Moonlight sonata 1st movt. is definitely one of the most depressing pieces of any music I've ever heard.
I think its a more reflective piece of music...
Richard

Offline mussels_with_nutella

• PS Silver Member
Slavische tanze (Slavonic dance) no. 2 opus 72, Antonín Dvorak
It's my favourite piano piece and the saddest I've ever heard. It makes me shudder, if that's the word (i am spanish), and...

However, it is worth it to hear it in its later version, also made by Dvorak:

Learning:
Liszt's 3rd Liebestraum

When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something
Shostakovic

Offline chopinaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Slavische tanze (Slavonic dance) no. 2 opus 72, Antonín Dvorak
It's my favourite piano piece and the saddest I've ever heard. It makes me shudder, if that's the word (i am spanish), and...

However, it is worth it to hear it in its later version, also made by Dvorak:

WOW! i just fell in love! Thank you!

Offline dyltron

• PS Silver Member
This thread needs a lot more Schubert.

For me, Chopin and Brahms can make music sound sad (and with tremendous skill) but Schubert made a lot of sincerely sad music. It was his destiny to live a short, sad and unfulfilled life, and to convert the emotions that go along with that sort of life into music.  

Sonata D. 959

Moment Musicaux No. 3

His most explicitly sad piano music was in his many songs.

Winterreise - Der Leiermann  

Offline chopinlover23

• PS Silver Member
These are the pieces that I love that have a ''sad'' atmosphere

1. Etude op. 10 no. 3 by Chopin
2. Moonlight Sonata 1st movement by Beethoven
3. Theme and Variations in A- Mozart (its dramatic)

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
The Gluck-Sgambati melody, specially when played by Nelson Freire, is quite sad. His use of this work as an encore have a magical power, you fell absolutely alone in a theatre with another two thousand persons.
Sad regards,
Jay.

Offline remy

• PS Silver Member
Karol Szymanowski's Etude Op.4 No.3 in b flat minor is heartbreakingly beautiful:

Vasily Kalinnikov's Moderato in e flat minor is dark and richly beautiful.

Another favorite of mine is Cesar Cui's Prelude Op.64 No.2:

jeremy

Online lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
I find Grieg's Ase's Death from Peer Gynt Suite excessively sad.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline zax102

• PS Silver Member
This thread needs a lot more Schubert.

For me, Chopin and Brahms can make music sound sad (and with tremendous skill) but Schubert made a lot of sincerely sad music. It was his destiny to live a short, sad and unfulfilled life, and to convert the emotions that go along with that sort of life into music.  

Lol, why even say something like that? Chopin has plenty of "sincere" sadness. I highly doubt he was sitting there trying to come up with something "sad", especially if you read anything about him. He favored restraint in writing emotionally, but very ironically wrote brilliant romantic era music. He had family die, was basically exiled from two homes, and had a very unsuccessful marriage that ended badly, not to mention the other unrequited loves.

Chopin has deeply emotional music, but it is very often subtle throughout, sometimes erupting violently but then quickly escaping back into a quiet, defeated voice. Schubert, of course, has highly emotional music, but it is DIFFERENTLY emotional, not MORE. If I had to compare the two, Chopin sings, quietly, sometimes desperately. Schubert punches you in the face with it and makes no apologies.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
I find Grieg's Ase's Death from Peer Gynt Suite excessively sad.
Then I wonder how you'd find almost an hour of variations for piano on it?...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Extremely sad???
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Extremely sad???

Extremely Hintonian, perhaps? 8)

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
My suggestion is   Rachmaninov, Etude tableau op 39 n 2: far from  overplayed, moving, mesmerizing (when properly performed), not too difficult (apart from some pretty nasty sections). It’s the piece I’m planning to study this summer…
Cheers
Margherita

Online lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Then I wonder how you'd find almost an hour of variations for piano on it?...

Best,

Alistair
I think extremely sad like thal said, but also extremely tired. I don't like crying myself to sleep.
www.pianovision.com

Offline gep

I think extremely sad like thal said, but also extremely tired. I don't like crying myself to sleep.
From this I would guess you haven't heard that hour of variations on the Grieg, since I would guess, based on my experience of actually hearing those variations, that they are not at all sad. Rather quite enjoyable, actually. In fact, if you indeed haven't heard them, I would most happily suggest you get the CD of those variations!

all best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline eleanorrigby

• PS Silver Member
The Parents Day episode song from Hey Arnold, no? No??

Erik Satie - Gnossienne No. 4

Online lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
From this I would guess you haven't heard that hour of variations on the Grieg, since I would guess, based on my experience of actually hearing those variations, that they are not at all sad. Rather quite enjoyable, actually. In fact, if you indeed haven't heard them, I would most happily suggest you get the CD of those variations!

all best,
gep
Although I love piano I can't stand listening to large work 30-40 minutes is really my limit, and when pieces hit that range I am generally struggling to stay "with it". Are there any online recordings of the variations you could point me to?
www.pianovision.com

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Funeral Match :'(
Sounds like a sporting fixture; I wonder what would be sad about that?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Although I love piano I can't stand listening to large work 30-40 minutes is really my limit, and when pieces hit that range I am generally struggling to stay "with it".
Really?? I think that if I were present at a good performance of the Goldberg Variations I'd hardly know time had passed at all, leave alone how much, when it was over. That piece is about twice your limit, but surely you could "stay with it"!...
Are there any online recordings of the variations you could point me to?
Not that I know of. However, the CD of this wonderful piece is out there, played by Donna Amato. I would warmly recommend it!

all best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Although I love piano I can't stand listening to large work 30-40 minutes is really my limit, and when pieces hit that range I am generally struggling to stay "with it".
Why so? And what does that say about your response to such solo piano works as the Hammerklavier Sonata, Goldberg Variations, Stevenson's Passacaglia or any number of larger works by Sorabji? - or indeed piano concertos such as the two by Brahms, the Busoni, the (Alan) Bush and the big one by Skalkottas or piano quintets such as those by Schmitt and Schmidt? In short, is the problem that of the composer concerned in each such case or your own personal attention span?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Wow, the forum was almost Sorabji free for 2 minutes.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
1. Are you quite sure of that?
2. If so, how did you calculate this?
3. How can the forum be "almost" free of anything? - would it not have to be either free of it or not free of it?
4. Does it matter?
5. What makes you think that Sorabji, or indeed any other composer whose work remains in copyright, can be "free" in any case?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
3. How can the forum be "almost" free of anything? - would it not have to be either free of it or not free of it?
4. Does it matter?
5. What makes you think that Sorabji, or indeed any other composer whose work remains in copyright, can be "free" in any case?

Best,

Alistair

Generally I dislike this type of posts, but point no. 5 really made me laugh. ;D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member

Thal

*bangs tambourine*  ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
4. Does it matter?

1. No.
2. I used something called a clock.
3. What are you on about?
4. Yes
5. A huge amount of Sorabji is free.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
5. A huge amount of Sorabji is free.

I smell an argument. ::)

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Here is some recommended reading:

https://imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3977

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
How hintoresting.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
I smell an argument. ::)

I have no idea what an argument smells like
Curator/Director
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert