Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Who can help me identify this Schumann piece?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline p.hindemith

• PS Silver Member
Who can help me identify this Schumann piece?
on: December 31, 2007, 08:50:04 PM
Good evening,

I want to start by wishing all you pianostreet-maniacs a happy 2008 already!!

Ok, now for my question..

Who knows which piece this is? It's, as far as I know, a piece of Schumann played by Sofronitsky.

I have searched through both Schumann's cataloque and Sofronitsky's recorded Schumann discography for some time now but I just can't identify /find it for some reason. I think it's an awesome piece - check for example those harmonies starting at around 4:15! - and I really want to know just what it is.

Thanks in advance!

Learning at the moment: Tchaikovsky - In Church Op. 39 no. 24

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who can help me identify this Schumann piece?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:54:19 PM
It's the third movement 'Quasi Variationi' (on a theme of Clara Wieck) from the 3rd piano sonata. Who's playing? Sounds decent....

Edit - ignore that question. My modest glass of New Year's Eve wine has clearly made my reading skills even worse than usual. Doh!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline p.hindemith

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:16:25 PM
Thanks, that was fast.

I never thought about a Sonata movement. You know, some time ago someone send me a map which he said contained Kreisleriana played by Sofronitsky. But then when I opened it I saw there were 9 movements - the piece I have attached here was named as Kreisleriana movement 9. So I assumed that it was just an added single-movement piece that was named wrong.

It seems that I have to make myself more familiar with Schumann's piano sonatas, at this moment I have only listened to, and loved, the first one.

Offline p.hindemith

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:18:51 PM
Haha, no problem at all. You helped me a great deal.

I hope you have a great new years eve!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert