Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Master class advice  (Read 1284 times)

Offline carazymcmahon

• PS Silver Member
Master class advice
on: February 10, 2008, 06:39:44 AM
In a few weeks Jon Nakamatsu (won the van cliburn competition in the 90's) is giving master classes to anybody who wants them at the steinway store.

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions? If he shows me a different way of interpreting something but I completely disagree, what should I do? stuff like that. any advice would be great.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Master class advice
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:53:51 AM
In a masterclass you eventually would come across such a circumstance.  Think of it as gaining an additional perspective.  Try it out at the time, but you don't have to continue doing such things if they don't work for you.  Take elements of the teaching that most apply to you, and filter out the rest. 

If you were to do everything every teacher told you, you would end up contradicting yourself. 

As one of my teachers always told her students:
You don't have to do anything I tell you, as long as you do something.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Master class advice
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:25 AM
Please ask Jon to record some more Woelfl.

Thanks.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert