Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How are you doing right now ?  (Read 47809 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: How are you doing right now ?
Reply #200 on: January 13, 2011, 03:33:58 AM
poor Bob-witch.  mmmm ... poor boy sandwich ... *drools*
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #201 on: January 13, 2011, 04:39:30 AM
Girls are witches.  Guys are warlocks.  So I would be Bob-warlock.  Or Bob the Warlock. 

*Bob attempts to pick up a pencil again "using the force."*

*It doesn't work again, of course.*
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #202 on: January 13, 2011, 04:18:53 PM
We appreciate your candidness, Bob-lock, and we will review your application and be in contact with you.  As well, witches and warlocks may be something of small consequence to you, but did it ever occur to you that you and this forum may actually be inside of m1469's stomach?  And, that if there are witches and warlocks living in there, m1469's got ... well, I don't want to say "problems" ... but, let's just say "something to deal with".  I think she has a lot on her mind now, this is huge, very huge.

*shakes hand*

*gives lollipop*

*winks*

*ushers Bob-lock out, shuts the door, sits down in leather chair at desk, puts feet on desk, folds hands over stomach, breathes deeply, looks out the window, and thinks*
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #203 on: January 14, 2011, 12:22:37 AM
Phew.... out of that stomach.  Which sounds very weird.

That was a long-winded post.  If that's from within the stomach of the m1469, that means someone has gas.

Or again.... third time I think... Sounds like someone has a bun in the oven.  Or gas.  That sounds a lot more like a bun than previous bun-like posts.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #204 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:03 AM
haha ... no bun, no bun.  Not planning a bun anytime soon.  Though, I do like various other types of buns, hee hee.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #205 on: January 14, 2011, 04:50:49 AM
We appreciate your candidness, Bob-lock, and we will review your application and be in contact with you.  As well, witches and warlocks may be something of small consequence to you, but did it ever occur to you that you and this forum may actually be inside of m1469's stomach?  And, that if there are witches and warlocks living in there, m1469's got ... well, I don't want to say "problems" ... but, let's just say "something to deal with".  I think she has a lot on her mind now, this is huge, very huge.

*shakes hand*

*gives lollipop*

*winks*

*ushers Bob-lock out, shuts the door, sits down in leather chair at desk, puts feet on desk, folds hands over stomach, breathes deeply, looks out the window, and thinks*

So.... If no bun.... and there's a forum with witches and warlocks living in it inside the belly of the m1469..... then the m1469 has a possessed stomach? 

*Bob still thinks that sounds like gas.* ::)

:o :o :o

*Bob hurries out of the thread in case any demons are released.*

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #206 on: January 16, 2011, 03:17:04 AM
*Bob hurries out of the thread in case any demons are released.*

Hello, Bob.  Didn't you have a mommy?  A sister?  Girls don't get gas  :-.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #207 on: January 16, 2011, 05:17:14 AM
That's what I thought.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #208 on: January 16, 2011, 03:17:17 PM
It's almost like spring over here. I think I'm off for a little bicycle ride :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #209 on: January 16, 2011, 03:21:43 PM
Right now my motor is running and I'm considering how to work it the right way.  When I used to run for athletics, I was definitely a sprinter for the most part.  And, do you know what?  That was my mentality in general.  But, the cool thing about basketball is that you have to be able to sprint AND have long-term conditioning that would last the whole game long.  That was super dapper du fun.  But, it's so interesting to consider the fact that the type of running a person is inclined towards is a kind of mental inclination or mentality.  

So, anyway, I want my inner motor to be a basketball player primarily.  She's the one who intelligently knows how to run plays and work with a team, but is capable of individual feats and improvisation when the moment calls for it, she can sprint and jump and be quick and light on her feet, yet her stamina is fit for an entire game.  Ahh ... basketball.  Generally I prefer to play than watch and sometimes I wish I had a hoop outside to just go out there and shoot once in awhile.  As a matter of fact, besides a music box, that would be another thing that I want the most.  I am a motor who wants a basketball hoop AND a music box.  That's me.

I am learning.  And, I realized even more ever so clearly, at least this great glimpse into the mathematics of music.  Even though I sensed it always, I didn't truly understand more until in the last couple of days.  I'm a mathematical motor person.  Did you know that I've taken a mechanics class?  I learned how to do the tires, completely change the oil, give the car a tune up, what the parts of the engine are ... it's been a long time now since then though.  I found it fascinating.

;D

Oh yeah, and I wonder that if I knew actual mathematical equations anymore (on paper or in the air ... wherever they exist in formatily), would that help me in playing?  It seems it actually would.  At least some clarified principles.  And, does the math change the more advanced you become as a pianist and musician? I mean, are you just doing little tiny equations at first, like little additions and subtractions ... and then multiplications and divisions ... and then, if you are an advanced player, are you doing calculus, for example (or beyond -- I don't even know what it's called)?  I don't know.  *burny burny*  And, I wonder that if I DON'T formally know math, will it limit me in my playing?  That's sad  :'(.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #210 on: January 16, 2011, 03:33:16 PM

I hope you have a million nuggets of fun!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #211 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:36 PM
Yes it's almost like spring here too!  ::) And I really don't like it!!  >:( It should be winter and snow!!!!!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #212 on: January 16, 2011, 03:49:11 PM
Thal little bike ride = 10 miles
Wolfi little bike ride = 100 miles
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #213 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:14 PM
How much is a mile?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #214 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:08 PM
Thal little bike ride = 10 miles
Wolfi little bike ride = 100 miles

Haha, not today Thal, not really  ;D In summer yes :)

@littletune: a mile is 1.609344 km    

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #215 on: January 16, 2011, 05:40:29 PM
I hope you have a million nuggets of fun!

Yes I did, it was absolutely gorgeous. I never saw such a pink sky before :) And later it turned into a bright orange :)

Oh and regarding the math thing:

And, I wonder that if I DON'T formally know math, will it limit me in my playing?  That's sad  :'(.

No it won't limit your playing. Bach is well known for having used many mathematical structures in his music, but I don't think that he did this on purpose, calculating how many notes and stuff like that. It was inside of himself and came out through his creative energy and potential, and of course passion :)
But one thing I realized lately: In music it's possible to play a precise polyrhythm like 5 over 3 absolutely exactly, whereas in math it's an infinite number of decimals like 1.666....    

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #216 on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:28 PM
Dumb question -- They use miles in England?  I thought all of Europe was metric.  Although that is where the US got it's measurements.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #217 on: January 16, 2011, 08:10:17 PM
Dumb question -- They use miles in England?

Yes. They even use £ and not €. And, well, I sorta think regarding the latter they might be right...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #218 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:03 PM
I thought all of Europe was metric. 

Not yet Bob. A little while back, we almost lost our beloved pint and pounds & ounces, but just for once the wishes of the masses were granted.

Not signing up to the Euro seems now to have been a good decision, and if we were allowed a referendum to vote on joining, it would be defeated.

However, this does not seem to have stopped our government from pumping billions of pounds into the EU, so the Greeks can retire at 46 and the Irish do not pay the price for failing to control their economy. No doubt we will also contribute when Spain & Portugal need help, whilst our own people are left to suffer due to government cuts.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #219 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:32 PM
Dumb question -- They use miles in England?  I thought all of Europe was metric.  Although that is where the US got it's measurements.

Actually, I have a motorized music-bun in the oven.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #220 on: January 16, 2011, 08:28:07 PM
Oh ok thanks Wolfi! ... so Thal about 16 km and Wolfi about 160 km.... I wanna know how many km there are from my music school to my home! Because I walk a lot of times and it's pretty far... if I walk really really fast then I need 1 hour and about 15 minutes and if I walk slowly then it's 1 hour and a half or even more... I really wonder how many km that is...  :-\
I am sooooo tired and sleepy now..... not because of walking  or anything like that... but because I just have soooo many things to do and not enough time!! I thought I'll do a lot more this weekend... and I did do some of the things but not all of them at all! And now it's the end of weekend already!  ::) and tomorrow is music theory again and I haven't practiced and learned enough and I'll do so bad at dictations again  ::)  and I haven't even practiced piano as much as I wanted! And that thing that I'm translating... I have only translated 3 pages! Well there are actually 2 pages on every page cause it's scaned from a book. And in the first part there are 16 pages! and then there's second part and there are 17 pages like that I think!  :-\ I wanted to make a thread and ask about some things that I'm not sure about but I'm too tired now to do that  ::) Does "citation" mean anything else besides quotation? I think it should mean something like a dictionary form of a word or something  :-\ And does PRO.1 and PRO.3 mean like 1st person and third? Oh I have to make a thread about this things!
Why don't I ever have enough time??? That boy from music theory class said he had too much time!!! :o  :o  :o And that he didn't know what to do and was bored!  :o  :o I couldn't believe it!! How can people ever be bored and have too much time????? Well if someone has too much time they should just give their time to me!!! As much as they want! Thank you!  :) I'll try to translate some more now... until I fall asleep.....  :P

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #221 on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:35 PM
The way I normally hear citation used is that it cites the source of the information.  Usually for more scholarly writing there's a footnote number or author name.  You can look at the bottom of the page or end of the article to find the citation, the information about the source of the information used in the article -- Author, name of the work, where and when it was published, copyright, etc.   If you quote something, you should have a citation after it and information about the source somewhere, according to whatever citation format style you follow.

I don't know what PRO.1 or PRO.3 is.  It sounds like version of something. 

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #222 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:24 AM
Not yet Bob. A little while back, we almost lost our beloved pint and pounds & ounces, but just for once the wishes of the masses were granted.

Not signing up to the Euro seems now to have been a good decision, and if we were allowed a referendum to vote on joining, it would be defeated.

However, this does not seem to have stopped our government from pumping billions of pounds into the EU, so the Greeks can retire at 46 and the Irish do not pay the price for failing to control their economy. No doubt we will also contribute when Spain & Portugal need help, whilst our own people are left to suffer due to government cuts.

Thal
I don't get that.  You haven't adopted the Euro but you still have to help bail out those countries.  What are getting in return?  Does that mean if the pound started to fail, the euro countries would get together and bail you out?  As disappointed as I am with the euro and even more so now that they're letting every tom, dick, and harry into the union, I would think that England would be better off in the long run if they adopted the euro.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #223 on: January 17, 2011, 12:41:04 PM
1 .You haven't adopted the Euro but you still have to help bail out those countries. 

2. What are getting in return? 

3. Does that mean if the pound started to fail, the euro countries would get together and bail you out? 

4. As disappointed as I am with the euro and even more so now that they're letting every tom, dick, and harry into the union, I would think that England would be better off in the long run if they adopted the euro.

1. Incredibly yes
2. Bugger all
3. I would doubt it
4. Almost certainly not

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #224 on: January 17, 2011, 12:50:54 PM
Hardly; almost everything in supermarkets is measured in grams and kilos and we buy petrol and diesel by the litre, all of which causes confusion when people go into the pub for a pint but find that spirits measures there are in ml. Anyway, the old "imperial" measures were certainly never beloved of me; far too complicated and inconsistent.

I think that delaying adopting the Euro in UK has indeed been a wise decision for the foreseeable future and, whilst I would not go as far as you in climing that a referendum to do so now would risk certain defeat, I do think that its chances of success would be pretty slim. UK is not alone in this among the longer standing member states, however; Denmark and Sweden have not adopted the Euro either.

It's not stopped the Dutch government from doing the same, either, as gep will no doubt confirm if he so chooses.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #225 on: January 17, 2011, 02:35:52 PM
It's not stopped the Dutch government from doing the same, either, as gep will no doubt confirm if he so chooses.
€5billion in to Greece, €1,5 in Iceland (the Isavenot scandal), Gawd alone knows how much in Bruxelles since we've had the beloved Euro (we're the biggest net payer in the EU, and always have been so), how much in keeping the banks up is anyone's guess (think €10billion, times x), and as for the rest....
We're gonna cut some €21billion out of our own meat every year for the coming years to paste it all up, for as to ever getting anything of our money back, ah....
The only country that is even less critically in bowing for the European Disunion is Denmark I think... That said, the new sack (for the old wine, I fear) that's in place in The Hague seems a teensy bit more critical, having shot down (together with the UK) the Bruxelles proposal of stealing getting the EU taxes directly from the countries with or without their consent.

And huzzah! The Euro has been so good for us! As are all open borders to the kleptocracies and corruptocracies in the east and south from which we only benefit! Or at least, so we are told. Never mind the outflooding of our tax money and inflooding of, well, that what floats on top of society in the "new friends" from the former East Block states et altri, which is akin to what floats on top of any sewer...

Huzzah once more!
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #226 on: January 17, 2011, 03:00:23 PM
The way I normally hear citation used is that it cites the source of the information.  Usually for more scholarly writing there's a footnote number or author name.  You can look at the bottom of the page or end of the article to find the citation, the information about the source of the information used in the article -- Author, name of the work, where and when it was published, copyright, etc.   If you quote something, you should have a citation after it and information about the source somewhere, according to whatever citation format style you follow.

I don't know what PRO.1 or PRO.3 is.  It sounds like version of something. 

Thank you very much Bob for helping me!  :) and for not ignoring me (like others  ::) - just kidding, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself now  :P because I should do sooo much and I'm sleepy and my head hurts and I'm probably getting a little sick again  ::) but oh well...  :P )
I think I should really open a new thread about all this things because I think I should explain more what's it about and all that... but I probably won't have time now... because I have music theory and I have to go out with my dog before I go and finish homework and practice and all that.............  ::) I even translated till page 4 today!!! And I only have less that half a page till next chapter!! Wow I am soooo good! I only just needed about 2 weeks to translate 4 pages!! wow!  :o  ::)
Oh Bob that PRO.1 and PRO.3 is about sign language..... maybe they say it like that... It's like example: PRO.1/0 WANT MEET PRO.3
  "I want to meet him/her."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #227 on: January 17, 2011, 03:57:43 PM
Is that a language class or are you learning sign language little tune?  I've never heard of translating that much if you're just starting.  Are you learning English?  (It sounds like you already know it.)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #228 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:47 PM
Hardly; almost everything in supermarkets is measured in grams and kilos

For those of us that like to support local Saturday markets, this is not the case.

"3 KILOS OF BANANAS A POUND" does not have the right ring to it. Even worse would be "3 KILOS OF BANANAS A EURO"

We don't all jump in our Bentleys and drive to Waitrose y'know.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #229 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:06 PM
And huzzah! The Euro has been so good for us! As are all open borders to the kleptocracies and corruptocracies in the east and south from which we only benefit! Or at least, so we are told. Never mind the outflooding of our tax money and inflooding of, well, that what floats on top of society in the "new friends" from the former East Block states et altri, which is akin to what floats on top of any sewer...

You are giving the impression that you are not entirely happy about Eastern European Immigrants.

Perhaps you might like to know, that they rescued the English Pickpocketing Industry that was almost dead. They have also improved the quality of prostitutes, undercut the prices charged by the Chinese for fake perfume, improved the trade in stolen landmowers and reduced the swan population.

You have to try to look at the positives.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #230 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:19 PM
*Bob remembers drug dealers in the U.S. deal in kilos.   Therefore, they must be on the cutting edge of measurement systems.*

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #231 on: January 17, 2011, 11:12:28 PM
You can still buy an 8th over here old chap.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #232 on: January 17, 2011, 11:21:01 PM
For those of us that like to support local Saturday markets, this is not the case.

"3 KILOS OF BANANAS A POUND" does not have the right ring to it. Even worse would be "3 KILOS OF BANANAS A EURO"

We don't all jump in our Bentleys and drive to Waitrose y'know.
No, indeed - I, for one, have no Bentley into which to jump and so I get Waitrose to deliver to me - y'know.

I support markets, not only on Saturdays, when I can; many of them no longer use the old "imperial" measures either - and why should they? There's no "empire" and the measurements themselves are antediluvian, overly complex, inconsistent between themselves and, most importantly, incompatible with the Arabic way of counting and measuring in tens which we all do.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #233 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:45 PM
You are giving the impression that you are not entirely happy about Eastern European Immigrants.
Never mind Eastern European immigrants, especially since an acquaintance of mine who hails from Moldova and now lives in Belarus has said to me that he feels that he is an illegal immigrant everywhere because he comes from one country and lives in another of which both have been accused of letting go its citizens who have now become classified as "immigrants" where they now live, some of them "illegal".

I am an immigrant as a Scotsman living in England, but I don't care; I could go back to live in Scotland and still be regarded as an immigrant. I simply do not feel possessive of the country in which I happen to live, whichever country that may happen to be at any given time and regardless of the real of perceived legality of my domicile. Why should I?

Perhaps you might like to know, that they rescued the English Pickpocketing Industry that was almost dead.
Dead? Where? What's so special about Gravesend and why? Pickpocketing and all manner of other forms of thieving (not least intellectual property theft!) have been alive and well all over Britain from the time when there was first a place called Britain!

They have also improved the quality of prostitutes
I guess that I'll have to bow to your superior authority on that one.

undercut the prices charged by the Chinese for fake perfume, improved the trade in stolen landmowers and reduced the swan population.
I cannot comment about Chinese perfume, genuine or otherwise or on any non-Chinese people's attempts to fake and market it. I presume that, by "landmowers", you mean "lawnmowers". As for the swan population reduction, why not look for a great example at a distinguished knight of the realm who, despite being of largely English origin, has long since set up home in a Scottish island and who, as Master of the Queen's Music(k), has apparently become quite an authority on swan-uppingdowning?

I am - even if they're not quite the same ones as you're trying to look at.

As to those ridiculous measurements, I never did figure out how many inches there are in a gallon or indeed how many ounces make up a metre. Just as well, really.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #234 on: January 17, 2011, 11:36:39 PM
You can still buy an 8th over here old chap.
An 8th (of) what?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #235 on: January 18, 2011, 07:23:27 AM

Perhaps you might like to know, that they rescued the English Pickpocketing Industry that was almost dead. They have also improved the quality of prostitutes, undercut the prices charged by the Chinese for fake perfume, improved the trade in stolen landmowers and reduced the swan population.

Thal
I'm far from happy about a certain fraction of Easter European Immigrants, namely that part that, as I said,
floats on top of society in the "new friends" from the former East Block states et altri
There are plenty of hard-working people coming in, doing jobs nobody else will do (or do for that wage), and to that I do not oppose. However, the wisdom of Bruxelles demands that we let in everybody without any problem, and there are quite a few who take the wrong advantage of that. And I would very much want the gov put a stop to that, if only not to hinder those who wish to come and be a contributing part of society. There are plenty of Poles (where I live many Polish have come to work in the flower growing industry) who find it increasingly hard to get a job because of the increasing mistrust generated by the increasing number of drunk and stealing compatriots.
As for the governments in some of thos coutries, well, they are a joke (and please note there are two ways of pronouncing "joke"), and I very much dislike something like the Greece of Rumanian government having any influence in my (or any other) country.

What I worry about is my country handing over our autonomy to the so called "Union". I'm all for coöperation within Europe, but I would like that my government, for what it's worth, is and remains in The Hague, rather than in Brussels, so that any last decision is made by my government, and not by the corrupt misbegotten parliamentable junk that is in Bruxelles.

all best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #236 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:44 AM
Well said that man.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #237 on: January 18, 2011, 04:15:00 PM
Is that a language class or are you learning sign language little tune?  I've never heard of translating that much if you're just starting.  Are you learning English?  (It sounds like you already know it.)
No I'm not learning sign language (although I was thinking it might be interesting and useful sometimes)... I'm helping someone who doesn't speak English very well... but she is in college already so that's why it's really complicated sometimes... And she needs to write a paper (or somethig) about sign language. And the book that is about the research of sign language is in English, so now I'm trying to translate all that into Slovenian so she'll understand everything. And she said she would pay me too  :P  :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #238 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:20 PM
Today I didn't have piano lessons  :( because my teacher got sick...
But yesterday was REALLY cool at music theory class!!! When we were writing music dictation I didn't have ANY mistakes AT all!!!  :o I really couldn't believe it!!! And I was the only one who didn't have any mistakes!  :o I really don't know how that is possible, I don't really understand but it just seemed so easy! (cause usually it seems really difficult and I'm all nervous and I'm getting confused) But yesterday was just so weird! I could just hear everything so right! And I was so sure about everything... and once I saw that the boy who is sitting next to me wrote something completely different than I did... but I was still so sure I was right... (usually I would think that I must be wrong)... I don't know... and I just kinda knew the notes I mean specially the g just kinda rings really nice in my head  :D it's funny  :) I wish it was always so easy!!! And that I would always hear everythng so right and be so sure about all the notes! I mean I have been practicing a little, but I really didn't think it could be enough! So I'm not sure if it was because of that...  :-\ I don't know... I guess we'll see  :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #239 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:53 PM
I love my piano lessons verrrrryyyy much, too, Littletune  :-[.

But, okay, I just read through the Mozart Fantasy in c minor, K. 475.  I listened to Gould, again, who is becoming one of my fav. piano players (even though I didn't *love* his interpretation of the Fantasy), to my surprise.  That was a goal of mine before I started this project (and the inventions are on hold), to find out who I actually really like and who I don't like AS much, and why.  

Anyway, it was very interesting to read through it.  Even while I was listening to Gould play, there came some spots where my ear was anticipating particular ouchy notes (mistakes) that I would always make when I played it years ago.  See, that Fantasy and Sonata grew to mean SO much to me, they almost defined my insides or so, that to have some sounds engrained and then the way it used to feel in my body, that was a really big deal.  But, do you know what?  I read through that sucker and it felt COMPLETELY different than when I played it ever before.  I thought it would maybe never change, but it has.  It is liberating for me to read through it and know the language so much more, to have things be SO much more clear to me.  All of the tension and awkwardness that I used to feel in it, all of the unhealthy angst, it's completely gone.  I'm going to read through the sonata today (soon), too, and I imagine it will be a pretty great experience.  Not TOO much more to go on the Mozarts, and already it's completely helping my perception of music in general and all eras within Classical music, but on the Classic era music, especially.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #240 on: January 18, 2011, 06:27:34 PM
heh heh heh ...

Firstly, I really like Gould's interpretation of the Sonata in c minor.  Secondly, it's a pretty great thing, this reading through it!  I could actually express what I had always wanted to, but had never before felt able to.  I am free now, from the impression this left on me from years ago.  It's as though I was frozen in time, but I'm not that person anymore and it doesn't have any more power over me!  At some point, I will most likely do the same thing with all of that rep., but this was a really good place to start.  It's like looking at a completely different reflection in the mirror :).  Only 3 more sonatas to go, yippee!

Oh yeah, and I still LOVE these works (maybe now more than ever), the Fantasia and the Sonata in c minor, I want to play them for the rest of my life :).

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #241 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37:13 PM
I love my piano lessons verrrrryyyy much, too, Littletune  :-[.

:) you mean when you're teaching someone or when someone is teaching you or when you're teaching yourself?  :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #242 on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:34 PM
:) you mean when you're teaching someone or when someone is teaching you or when you're teaching yourself?  :)

I love time alone, and I love also to be able to share what I love with other individuals who may happen to love the same thing (in their own way, of course).

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #243 on: January 19, 2011, 02:17:14 PM
Just in case littletune is making toys, I would like a hairy spider.

Thal

A hairy spider for Thal!  :)  :P  8)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #244 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:33 PM
Right now my dad has one of his loooong talks about life and how you have to do what everyone else is doing and all that...something... I'm not really listening anymore  :-\ I'm listening to music (with my earphones on  :-\ so I just hear a voice from time to time in the background... I know that's kinda bad but ...  :-\ ) He thinks we're talking  :-\ even though I'm not saying anything at all, cause even if I say something he continues talking about the same things... so it doesn't really matter if I say something or not... so I better not say anything and hope he'll finally stop taaalking ::)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #245 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:13 PM
... but it makes me a little sad anyway... :(

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #246 on: January 19, 2011, 06:52:45 PM
HEHE, that is really lovely.

Thanks for my hairy spider.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #247 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:24 PM

A hairy spider for Thal!  :)  :P  8)

He was not talking about this kind of spider  ;)
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #248 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:43 PM
He was not talking about this kind of spider  ;)
Oh well then I don't know what kind of spider he was talking about!  ::) I mean I know it's not a real spider it's just a picture of a spider but it's still better than nothing! And if he was talking about something else then I don't know about what... and I don't care... he said he wanted a spider and he got a spider!!!
HEHE, that is really lovely.

Thanks for my hairy spider.

Thal

:) I'm very glad you like the spider Thal! You should think of a name now  :P  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #249 on: January 19, 2011, 08:03:53 PM
hee hee :)  that spider is very cheery and cute :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert