Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Where to start? [Bob project]  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Where to start? [Bob project]
on: March 16, 2004, 06:40:00 AM
Where do you suggest I start for the following?
- starting to seriously move through repertiore?
- starting to seriously study recordings and performers?
- starting to seriously study the literature (not to perform, just to be familiar with it)?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Re: Where to start?
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 06:53:27 AM
Good question. I think I need more help on this sort of thing myself.
If I was a pretty good piano player starting to build up a repertoire, I'd try and cover as many time periods as I could for starters, learning a combination of well-known pieces I liked along with anything else I felt like learning. I think having a well-balanced piano diet is a good idea.
As for recordings and performers, the way I like to study them is to find a whole bunch of recordings of the exact same piece but performed by different pianists from the library and listen to them all, comparing how they play.
I also learned a lot from reading 'the Great Pianists' by Harold C. Shonberg. Reading as many books as possible by famous pianists can help too.
I guess your questions are pretty open-ended so I hope this answer is kind of what you were after.

Offline scriabinsmyman

• PS Silver Member
Re: Where to start?
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 03:12:51 PM
May I suggest that you start with a genre of pieces or a certain composer that you're crazy about?  Your repertoire should be special- make this part stand out.  For example, my strengths are Chopin and Scriabin, so I have many of their works in my repertoire.  Of course, a couple etudes, a Beethoven sonata, and a Bach Prelude&Fugue are essential parts to any pianist's repertoire.  Just make sure you pick pieces you truly love (and can stand practicing and playing for a looooong time :) )

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert