Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Sources for "knowing everything" about editions?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Sources for "knowing everything" about editions?
on: August 04, 2008, 10:52:16 PM
Are there any books or anything that explain "everything" about the different editions?

I had a teacher once who started explaining how this edition was the first reprint and certainly not to get that edition because that was editted by so-and-so in the 1800s and he was writting for the current style of playing at that time. 

Is there some resource that explains all that?  The history, the evolution of different editions, etc.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sources for "knowing everything" about editions?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:46:40 PM
I don't know about a publication that describes your exact needs but there are repertoire books like Hinson's Guide to the Pianists Repertoire which is a list of the editor's idea of the most pertinent published works.  It includes short biographical information of the composers, short descriptions of the works, and publisher of the works.

Other than this, the way I learn about editions is to read from various sources and sometimes bits of information drop through.  I also have a rather extensive library with more than one edition of composers' works like Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Haydn, Bach, etc.  Making comparisons from these editions, as well as reading any editorial remarks, is how I form my ideas about them.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:12:13 AM
Yes, I think that's what this professor had done.  I was very clear with them.  Ah well.

I think I do have that Hinson book somewhere.  I haven't used it much though.  I've been focusing on other things.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:35:37 AM
also, the editions sometimes tell about themselves in the first few pages.  how they came to be.  what they feel they have to contribute.  if you like notated editions - then you look for lots of notes.  if you are wanting to compare fingerings (USE THE LIBRARY! AND SAVE MONEY) some piano stores allow you to sit at a piano and try the edition before buying.  i used to have time to worry about things like this. 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:15:48 AM
In my experience, knowing about editions comes with knowing the composer.  If one better understands the context of the compositions, historical performance practice, engraving trends,  musicologist views on interpreting the works of the composer, and what he/she wishes to see in an edition one is far better off in choosing. 

I'd also think there could be the issue of marketing, profit and pride upon individual publishers of today. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:33:00 PM
As an accompanist, therefore almost invariably playing with the score on the piano rather than from memory, I look for the edition with the most practical do-it-yourself page turns! Wiener Urtext and Henle Urtext are usually good - and, luckily, in most other respects.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 07:04:50 AM
that's a very creative answer!  kudo's to that one, also!

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert