Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: A long time ago  (Read 1085 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
A long time ago
on: May 15, 2015, 08:54:46 AM
A recording made in the sixties of the teenage Ted playing a hymn tune he wrote for his uncle's funeral.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: A long time ago
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:18:15 PM
hi TED,

What a blasphemous funeral hymn! ;D ;D 
That would be what my grandma would say if she heard your composition.

But really why should a funeral hymn be sad and mournful if it could be something
that would celebrate the "honky-tonk", optimistically happy character of a person.
Perhaps you could fill us in a bit on how you viewed your grandma a person then.

NICE composition .... UNIQUE as a funeral hymn!!!

cleaned it up a bit .... but removing the hiss removed the 60's character of the recording...
hope you like it.

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 07:20:37 PM
Hi Ted,

I enjoyed hearing that!  Thanks for sharing it.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:15:03 PM
Thanks for listening, emill and Michael.

hi TED,
What a blasphemous funeral hymn! ;D ;D  
That would be what my grandma would say if she heard your composition.
But really why should a funeral hymn be sad and mournful if it could be something that would celebrate the "honky-tonk", optimistically happy character of a person. Perhaps you could fill us in a bit on how you viewed your grandma a person then.
NICE composition .... UNIQUE as a funeral hymn!!!
cleaned it up a bit .... but removing the hiss removed the 60's character of the recording...
hope you like it.

It was really just a spontaneous personal impression of my uncle's funeral rather than something to actually play at a funeral, a bit of descriptive fun. Neither was it meant to depict either my uncle or my grandmother. I usually just leave hiss in old tape recordings but thanks for your effort, emill.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:27 PM
Hi Ted,

That has to be a fun piece to play.  It reminds me of some funeral processions in New Orleans  featuring a jazz band leading the family and friends of the deceased to the cemetery.  Cool!

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:21 PM
Thanks for listening David. At that age stride was one of my musical obsessions, along with classical ragtime, and I still enjoy playing both every so often. The piece is written out approximately somewhere I think.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert