Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Franz Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 in D flat major - Enzo  (Read 9063 times)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member

It was me, the father who was shaking with nervousness (perhaps his teacher and my wife too!) as Enzo was playing this. I was too anxious that it was just too soon to play the piece before an audience, having started this together with other pieces barely a month ago ... but as they say ... the program has been printed and the show must go on. To make matters worse Enzo had been playing, well over an hour and he looked obviously tired. I closed my eyes and prayed that it will not be so bad!!! wow!! the anguish ... the travails parents must undergo when their children are "under scrutiny".  So sorry for some fumbled notes and tempo.

Thanks for listening and watching.... we will be MOST GRATEFUL for any comment.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Not bad for being tired! I can sense that he is getting tired throughout, at the end you do notice the rapid RH octaves are just that little bit too much for him but he makes a good effort nonetheless. It is certainly not a piece that you can play easily when rested let alone being tired, it is quite a risk but he pulled it off. Some phrases I would have liked to hear more length to and "bite". Is that mum and dad in the background? The lady seems to follow the music very well, like shes heard it a few times :) It could be the camera angle but he seems to be sitting so close to the piano, the arms need more freedom.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Hi Enzo and Emill,

I think this was a fine performance.  Those rapid octaves and leaps in the last part would be difficult for anyone under any conditions.  Bravo!

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
I'm sorry, but Enzo will have major neck problems if he doesn't stop doing those neck-movements. He makes them every time there is some rhythmical part. How old is he? I just warn you, he is way to talented to get an injury, silly as this one...

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Hi,

I agree with pianisten that there is too much  contorsioning of the neck and head over the keyboard. If we need to play either ff or pp, it can be helpful to move the torso in closer to the keyboard to have more control over the arm weight during execution of the passage.  But when doing that, we simply drop the chin a bit and look down at the keys--no dramatic swooping movement is necessary.  

My suggestion for mitigating this mannerism and to get an indelible mental picture as a cue would be to watch ANY video by Jorge Bolet, a great interpreter of Liszt.  He sits straight on the bench, his eyes are glued to the keyboard, and there he remains until the final bar of the piece!  And what beautiful performances!  Few could ever play Liszt as well as he did. I'm not suggesting that Enzo needs to be quite as still as Bolet on the bench, but simply to use that as a starting point to consider ways to reduce the excessive amount of neck and head movement now evident.

There are two problems with mannerisms: 1) Energy is diverted into doing the mannerism instead of channeling it into the artistry of performing in the moment; and 2) It provides a distraction to the audience.  So it ends up as being a minus rather than a plus in performing. And yes, they can even cause an injury over time.  

I hope this is helpful.

David

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Hi Enzo.  If you werent a kid like me , I wouldnt even bother to comment . You did great with this for only a month. Still dont know how you do that. ;) I cant imagine I would ever have a work like this up to speed in a month.  Anyway I have to say  it. Like I said you did great.  Way better after a month than I could.  But the people who had you do this after a month are soft in the head.  And the audience applauding after you where done,  I suspect are dumb as bread. Maybe these are just my feelings,  but I can remember times when I was pushed to perform a piece I wasnt ready on and I hated it.  Please dont be mad at me.  I think you are an amazing pianist and if I had to bet which one of us would make it to the top of the mountain I would take you.  Im speaking how I feel inside me.  I would love to hear you do this again after you really have time to learn it. 

Your fellow pianist and big fan, Cheers Becky

Offline ladypianist

• PS Silver Member
Hello Enzo. My what a spirited attempt on such short notice.  You have made so much headway for just a month. Of course you know there are things wrong with this piece you dont need me to tell you that . Im sure your teacher knows it also.  NO- I wish to address another issue.  We as artists have an obligation to our audience to be well founded and prepared. As we play for them we not only entertain them , but we educate them to.  My question to you , do you think you were properly prepared. I will not answer that for you. Nor can your father.  It is something that you must answer for yourself.  It is a question you may ask over and over again as you turn into a young man.  Am I properly prepared. This applies not only to music but to life in general.

A side note to Becky. Have more patience for your audience. If they are not as educated as they should be , it is up to we performers to help educate them. To show patience and understanding as others may show to us in subjects where we are not so brilliant.  Some people today say that classical music is slowly fading away.  Acting like intellectual snobs certainly wont help the process.  Have respect for the people who listen to you.  As a final note Becky you passion is admirable. Perhaps temper it more with understanding. 

Back to Enzo . I truly did enjoy your attempt on this and do so deeply look foward to hearing it again from you in the future.  if you would do an old women a favor , I would so love to hear you do some Mozart. 

With much kindness and respect - Lady Pianist
After a lifetime of learning, there is still more that I do not know , than I know.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
I truly did enjoy your attempt on this and do so deeply look forward to hearing it again from you in the future.  if you would do an old woman a favor , I would so love to hear you do some Mozart. 

With much kindness and respect - Lady Pianist

Dear ma'am ladypianist,
Thank you for your very kind comments and for your frequent encouragement. I am really sorry if I may have disappointed you and others for not being fully prepared. Maybe I could have done better if I had 2 or 3 months more but it was a situation one can not refuse.  I wish I could tell you more.  I will be happy to play it again someday but for now and the rest of March i have to be 100% with my studies as school will be winding up. No more piano for the whole month.
On the Mozart, I have only learned the Sonata Facile kv545, kv300 and kv311 so far and here are the links for the whole kv330.  Sorry, the quality of the recordings are poor especially the 2nd movement. We were not able to video the kv331.  Oh there is so much to improve, but this was 2-3 years ago.  God Bless,
Enzo   

1st movement, kv330 - 

2nd movement, kv330 -

3rd movement, kv330 -

Dear Becky,
I wish what I said to ma'am ladypianist will explain some of the things you brought up. My teacher and I talked about the very short time to prepare very well before I accepted. Well in all honesty, maybe it was impossible to say NO.  I wish I could tell you more.  Hey thanks for all the encouragement, coming from one so talented I can not help being charged up!!   ;D  So for some fun here is a link of me at 10 years old trying the Sonata 545  ;D with all my baby fat. This was in 2006 or my 1st year on the piano and btw, I am no longer a kid, i just turned 15 ;D I hope you will still consider me a fellow-kid!! :)
God Bless,
Enzo
kv545 2nd movement -
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert