Piano Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Anything but piano / Re: Last post wins!!!!!
« Last post by j_tour on Today at 12:18:59 AM »
Repertoire / Re: Rag recommendations
« Last post by transitional on Yesterday at 08:21:29 PM »
Maybe you could try Joplin's Magnetic Rag, which was his last published rag. It feels innocent and laid back but also idiomatic throughout its broader scope, feeding Joplin's resignation but also simultaneously trying to experiment more with the form of the rag.
Repertoire / Rag recommendations
« Last post by advertis45 on Yesterday at 05:41:35 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am playing at a venue soon, and I need some pieces of music that are very laid back, yet can be dramatic or sad at times, since I want some variety in what I'm choosing. I am thinking some Scott Joplin or some William Bolcom. If you have any suggestions for those composers or if you have any other composers in mind, please tell me below.
« Last post by liszt-and-the-galops on Yesterday at 04:41:21 PM »
1) According to the member list, there either was no user by the name "pitched_prefect" or someone tried to quote/mock me with a very bad copy of my nickname...
2) Even if there was was someone by that name, but may have been deleted because of spam messaging - I was correct... we never heard back from them ever again.

You've missed the point. That quote was j_tour proving to you that quotes don't mean anything.
And you were wrong about not hearing from them again, because I just recently quoted them saying this:
"After a long absence, I'm back."
Performance / Re: Tempest sonata 1st movement - forearm pain in tremolos
« Last post by lelle on Yesterday at 04:24:44 PM »
Practice slowly. Check that the fingers are absolutely relaxed when not used to hold down a key at all times. Check that your wrists are free from tension at all times. Only increase speed if you can do this. Do not increase speed further than where you can still do this and be patient, speed will come automatically in its own time if you do things right.

But the best solution is to get a good teacher, it's the most efficient route to solving this issue!
Performance / Tempest sonata 1st movement - forearm pain in tremolos
« Last post by softbn on Yesterday at 03:57:51 PM »
Hello. I’m having problems measures 100 and 101 tremolo of the Fsharp minor and then B minor. When I’m trying to play it faster like 185 bpm my forearm starts hurting. Do you guys have any tips how to play it with no tension? Thanks
Repertoire / Re: Who wrote the best/hardest etudes?
« Last post by pianistavt on Yesterday at 02:24:20 PM »
While never having played any chopin (if someone could give some recommendations that would be great), I am quite partial to listening to the Ocean etude. Something immensely satisfying about that onslaught of sound.
Agreed about Chopin etude 25/12 - that was the first etude I worked on, probably for similar reasons.  All the Chopin etudes are transcendental - conceiving of new sounds/sonorities of the piano that no one had conceived before. 
If you like it, you should play it, it's certainly within your skill level, based on the other pieces you've mentioned.
Student's Corner / Re: how to practice piano technique and theory properly
« Last post by pianocavs on Yesterday at 07:01:17 AM »
Hello dear fellow members!
I am self taught and can play RCM grade 3 pieces at slow speed. I dedicate 2 hours each day for practice but have not yet worked on my finger technique. Is there more besides posture that I need to work on? What is the benefit of music theory that is listed in the RCM grades?

How would I ideally go about to work on my finger technique and more? Practicing scales for warmup and alternating two notes with adjacent or distant fingers? I can currently play moderately well with going over and under (is it called like this?) my hand both left and right. My left hand is a bit weaker in terms of dexterity.

Can you link me material to study?

Many thanks!

Hello!

Assuming that all fingers have sufficient strength, agility and independence, it is worth seeking simplification, efficiency and confidence of movements.

To achieve them, try different combinations of fingers to play a sequence of notes until you find the most direct, simple and efficient one.

It is useful to identify the direction of the movements, changes in that direction, the figures that form chords, arpeggios or melodic sequences, jumps, repetitions, etc.

A free e-book that could be useful because it develops some of these concepts and compiles the basic elements of Music Theory can be downloaded from the following page:

https://piano-maps.com/libro-book-download

The best for you.
« Last post by perfect_pitch on Yesterday at 03:54:45 AM »
Direct copy/paste from a few years ago:

Online j_tour
PS Silver Member
Re: Last post wins!!!!!
Reply #10002 on: January 22, 2020, 05:40:45 AM
Quote from: perfect_pitch on January 22, 2020, 05:11:06 AM
Plus, quotes don't prove a damn thing. For example:

Quote from: pitched_prefect
I've always wondered if my dear friend Alistair — and, yes, I do wish him all the very best — would consider carving a pedestrian wooden tool, such as an axe handle, and sand it finely enough they I might sit on it every morning and thank my secular provider for this marvelous excitement.

You said a wonderful thing.

Best,

j_bongrip_pommie

Online perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member
Re: Last post wins!!!!!
Reply #10005 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:00 AM
I know... who the hell is this arsehole 'pitched_prefect' who thinks he can win this thread.

Guarantee it'll be the last we hear of him.

1) According to the member list, there either was no user by the name "pitched_prefect" or someone tried to quote/mock me with a very bad copy of my nickname...
2) Even if there was was someone by that name, but may have been deleted because of spam messaging - I was correct... we never heard back from them ever again.

« Last post by j_tour on Yesterday at 02:33:04 AM »
Winning all around.

Sure.  "Winning," and tiger blood or whatever nonsense.  Prove it!

Don't just talk about it!  Do it!

Pretend you're playing some spinet piano that has never had a tech look at it, ever, at a retirement home for a bunch of deaf people who are immobile in many ways.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10