Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Default to a light mode  (Read 6293 times)

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Default to a light mode
on: February 12, 2023, 09:38:07 PM
This is a suggestion for the website. When a potential new user comes to the site, it looks very dark and dreary, one could even call it unsettling. If nothing else, it's quite boring. That's not a very good first impression, is it? The potential new user would likely immediately click out. I suggest that there be a light mode that is defaulted to when a guest comes to the site, with this dark mode still an option for long time users that prefer it.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Default to a light mode
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 03:08:41 AM
Dark mode is one of the reasons why Pianostreet remains one of my preferred music communities on the net.  Dark mode is awesome.  IMO dark mode results in less eye strain, and establishes a sense of mental focus. 

A suggestion for the site, would it be possible to have the text reply box in dark mode as well?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 04:52:27 AM
Dark mode is one of the reasons why Pianostreet remains one of my preferred music communities on the net.  Dark mode is awesome.  IMO dark mode results in less eye strain, and establishes a sense of mental focus. 
Seconded! I love the dark theme on the site.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 06:30:26 PM
This is a suggestion for the website. When a potential new user comes to the site, it looks very dark and dreary, one could even call it unsettling. If nothing else, it's quite boring. That's not a very good first impression, is it? The potential new user would likely immediately click out. I suggest that there be a light mode that is defaulted to when a guest comes to the site, with this dark mode still an option for long time users that prefer it.

Do you mean for the forum itself or the rest of the site?

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 10:49:09 PM
Do you mean for the forum itself or the rest of the site?
Both.

A suggestion for the site, would it be possible to have the text reply box in dark mode as well?

I agree with you. My proposal keeps open the possibility of dark mode, just defaulting to light mode initially.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 04:42:37 AM
I agree with you. My proposal keeps open the possibility of dark mode, just defaulting to light mode initially.

I think the default dark mode makes Pianostreet stand out.  Many other music forums (at least the ones I would be interested in), tend to use a default light mode.  From the perspective of a potential new user, that might be what piques their interest to join. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 02:24:05 AM
I think the default dark mode makes Pianostreet stand out.  Many other music forums (at least the ones I would be interested in), tend to use a default light mode.  From the perspective of a potential new user, that might be what piques their interest to join.
Many people find dark mode, especially when put over such a relatively colorless thing, oppressive and unsettling. I have reason to believe that they outnumber people who prefer it.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 07:46:38 AM
I prefer to not attach an emotional metric to colour in web page design, and rather choose colour based on objective and pragmatic reasoning.  Colour evoking emotion in art, yes definitely it has a function there.  However, as much of the activity on Pianostreet is reading text, I think the current colour scheme serves that purpose very well.  IMO Pianostreet is much easier to read for extended periods of time than other music forums I have visited. 

It has been my observation that many people that work with screens in a professional or critical capacity understand and appreciate the value of dark mode.  Various software packages take advantage of dark mode, software that spans fields such as: music production, video editing, photography, and coding. 

Offline lettersquash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 01:07:53 AM
I don't mind what's default, but is there actually any other mode than this dark mode? I asked about this when I joined, because the dark mode gives me eye strain.

Who actually makes decisions like this? Is there a mod on here? I even saw a thread suggesting there used to be alternative schemes, but now there seems to just be the one.
Sorry if I don't reply for a while - I'm not getting notifications from this site.

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 06:39:26 AM
I prefer to not attach an emotional metric to colour in web page design, and rather choose colour based on objective and pragmatic reasoning.  Colour evoking emotion in art, yes definitely it has a function there.  However, as much of the activity on Pianostreet is reading text, I think the current colour scheme serves that purpose very well.  IMO Pianostreet is much easier to read for extended periods of time than other music forums I have visited. 

It has been my observation that many people that work with screens in a professional or critical capacity understand and appreciate the value of dark mode.  Various software packages take advantage of dark mode, software that spans fields such as: music production, video editing, photography, and coding.
It's definitely important to value visual appeal in web page design. All benefits are rendered utterly useless and irrelevant if a potential user is scared away by poor design choices that lead to bad first impressions. The nature of Pianostreet means that it's hard to put a lot of stuff on the site to distract people. Software packages are different. People irreversibly buy and download them for very specific reasons, while when it comes to sites, you can just click, click out, and no harm is done. Pianostreet has some potential; there are millions of pianists out there with internet access, but only a couple hundred have joined this site. That's a very big deficit of users that should be here. I think this is due to two things: lack of reason to return, and bad first impressions. I'm suggesting this as something to throw at the wall to see if it sticks.

Offline lettersquash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 11:16:16 AM
It's definitely important to value visual appeal in web page design. All benefits are rendered utterly useless and irrelevant if a potential user is scared away by poor design choices that lead to bad first impressions. The nature of Pianostreet means that it's hard to put a lot of stuff on the site to distract people. Software packages are different. People irreversibly buy and download them for very specific reasons, while when it comes to sites, you can just click, click out, and no harm is done. Pianostreet has some potential; there are millions of pianists out there with internet access, but only a couple hundred have joined this site. That's a very big deficit of users that should be here. I think this is due to two things: lack of reason to return, and bad first impressions. I'm suggesting this as something to throw at the wall to see if it sticks.
+1
There's another reason people are likely to find their piano-related community elsewhere, the far too common response to helpful feedback and suggestions in the interests of that community with dismissal or silence.

The administration of the forum seems to be entirely opaque. The nearest I've come to finding anyone responsible for that role is the PS contact snail mail in Stockholm, a phone number and an email address (from the main menu > About > Contact). A paragraph of the user agreement says:
Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately.
...which, unless I've missed it, means emailing "Op 111 Productions", using customerservice@pianostreet.com (or you could phone or write them a letter). They're not here. They don't actively monitor the forum.

Personally, I get the impression that as long as the revenue keeps rolling in from the score downloads, advertising or whatever else, nobody cares that much if PS forum looks like it's from the 1990s.

The main website got a makeover a year ago.
1 February 2022:
We celebrate 20 years online with an updated webdesign of pianostreet.com.
You can even switch it to light mode!
Sorry if I don't reply for a while - I'm not getting notifications from this site.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 12:17:23 AM
I don't mind what's default, but is there actually any other mode than this dark mode? I asked about this when I joined, because the dark mode gives me eye strain.

Who actually makes decisions like this? Is there a mod on here? I even saw a thread suggesting there used to be alternative schemes, but now there seems to just be the one.

I have seen the forum get moderated and feedback taken into account many times so it's definitely monitored.

Things like this sometimes have to do with the software that runs the forum. Like, if the creators of the forum software created a new version, sometimes old themes are not compatible with the new software version and what not. Or it could be possible to get back, but take some work and testing to make sure you don't screw things up when you add a new color scheme etc.

Have you tried emailing their customer service email?

Pianostreet has some potential; there are millions of pianists out there with internet access, but only a couple hundred have joined this site. That's a very big deficit of users that should be here. I think this is due to two things: lack of reason to return, and bad first impressions.

Hell yeah, I want more people on here too! What do you think could give people more reasons to return? What could they add that's currently missing?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 04:02:22 PM
Maybe we should do a poll and see if people prefer light or dark mode?

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 11:36:56 PM
Maybe we should do a poll and see if people prefer light or dark mode?
Not sure that would help. The people on pianostreet are inherently going to be biased toward dark mode, considering that they're here. The people who prefer light mode would be turned away.
Hell yeah, I want more people on here too! What do you think could give people more reasons to return? What could they add that's currently missing?
I'm not sure. I think that the lack of reason to return is the harder of the two to fix.
Personally, I get the impression that as long as the revenue keeps rolling in from the score downloads, advertising or whatever else, nobody cares that much if PS forum looks like it's from the 1990s.
The PS forum could work as a secondary source of income to feed score downloads. So it likely has some monetary value.

Offline ammyvl1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 04:13:22 AM
When I was a new user (well my account is new, but I've been browsing here for many years, I've only just decided to make an account), I liked the dark theme, but also I'm quite the nerd so I just like dark theme in all my stuff. In general, the theme of the site won't scare people off if the content is good. I found brilliant advice on here in regards to a particular piece by Chopin (I think it was one of the waltzes but I can't recall), and I've been coming back since. The theme was not a big factor in whether I stayed.

Also for those of you who want to change the colour of stuff on the site, try a browser extension like Stylus. Kinda hacky though.
Current Pieces: Prokofiev Sarcasms No. 1, Ravel Le Tombeau de Couperin Prelude, Bach Prelude and Fugue no. 22, Chopin Prelude No. 16, Beethoven Sonata no. 6

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 08:19:02 PM
I disagree. The dark mode is part of what makes this an amazing site and a place I want to come back to. Much less of a strain on eyes as well!
Schubert sonatas are amazing and I want to learn all of them eventually! My favorites are D 960, D 959, D 840, D 568, and D 894.

Offline intellargo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2023, 05:02:23 AM
Black background with white fonts is very bad for the eyes, the contrast is even worse than writing on a blackboard with a chalk. Each time I visit here I couldn't stay long because of this, so I move to another piano related forum with much more eye-friendly color scheme. This is my first post here.   :(

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2023, 04:18:45 PM
Yeah, I do agree that it should be a choice - but white on black seems like a safe haven of a website with almost everything defaulted to black on white.
Schubert sonatas are amazing and I want to learn all of them eventually! My favorites are D 960, D 959, D 840, D 568, and D 894.

Offline intellargo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2023, 05:56:58 PM
It's not about dark vs. light, but the contrast. It doesn't have be black vs white, two ends of the color spectrum, the worst for the eyes. Any website design professional should understand or have learned what color schemes are eye-friendly. The following site https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html is a relief after leaving this site.
(Oh, so every single time I post or modify a post, I have to do the verification by typing the letters in the box? This forum is really discouraging to new posters.)

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 10:39:49 PM
Huh, I haven't thought of that before. It works well for me, but it should really be something to consider when trying to make this site more user-friendly - the gray on white is fine, but other color options is a very reasonable thing to consider. And the verification is just for new users, you do not have to do it every time.

Offline ravelfan07

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 15, 2024, 09:39:37 PM
No.
No light mode please
Amateur pianist and composer(will show works soon)

Online liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 03:47:07 PM
It doesn't have be black vs white, two ends of the color spectrum, the worst for the eyes.
Oh, are blue-on-orange and cyan-on-red not the worst anymore? There are far worse things than white-on-black, you know. (I find yellow-on-white the worst of all, if you're curious.)
I think it's fine as it is, and don't see the need to change it.
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).

Offline lettersquash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 04:13:08 PM
I'm sorry, but what is the problem with providing OPTIONS? If you want the default to be as it is now, fine. There are clearly people who find it difficult to read as it is, so is it really necessary to keep on reiterating that you like it like that and they can basically go somewhere else? I suspect the answer might be that whoever would have to implement the choice doesn't know how to do it, or just can't be bothered, which makes me even less inclined to hang around here. Hell, there are options to have the freaking date in your favourite format! ::)

Online liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 04:20:22 PM
I'm sorry, but what is the problem with providing OPTIONS? If you want the default to be as it is now, fine. There are clearly people who find it difficult to read as it is, so is it really necessary to keep on reiterating that you like it like that and they can basically go somewhere else? I suspect the answer might be that whoever would have to implement the choice doesn't know how to do it, or just can't be bothered, which makes me even less inclined to hang around here. Hell, there are options to have the freaking date in your favourite format! ::)
The issue was already settled...
No need to necro a thread...
Also, awfully rude to say that the creator of this forum is too dumb or apathetic to finalize a decision that
1. you claim is absurdly obvious (if that's the case, why was there any pushback?)
2. was already finalized and followed through on.
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2024, 02:20:20 PM

Option 3: it's a lot of work to implement and takes time. Time is not always available when you have many things to work on and need to prioritize. Would be my guess as someone who works with web dev stuff.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert