Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: pre-owned Steinway S  (Read 1325 times)

Offline pianojosh

• PS Silver Member
pre-owned Steinway S
on: April 16, 2024, 08:12:18 PM
Hi all!
Thanks in advance for reading.
I'm having to downsize to a smaller apartment, and so letting go of my current grand. I'm looking at something around 5"1, which I know limits my options in terms of sound quality. I did find a preowned Steinway S from the 1960s that plays nicely and has a lovely sound. It hasn't been rebuilt, has original soundboard, hammers, and pinblock. Is it a red flag that it hasn't been rebuilt at this point? Will it need to be? Are there any questions I should be asking?

Thanks for helping me out!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: pre-owned Steinway S
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 02:24:04 PM
I'm not aware that all old instruments need to be rebuilt. As long as the instrument has been taken care of well, it'll be useable, even if not as pristine as a new instrument. If it sounds good and plays good, why not?

What's your source on there being an issue if a 50 year old instrument has not been rebuilt?

Offline jbgods

• PS Silver Member
Re: pre-owned Steinway S
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 07:08:50 PM
I would recommend holding on to a piano if you can.  It could become an asset one day.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert