Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Repertoire  (Read 1228 times)

Offline tsunamirhino

• PS Silver Member
Repertoire
on: April 18, 2024, 02:25:24 PM
Hello there
I’m new here so please be nice! My son is 10 and looking for new repertoire. I played piano and very heavily classically trained so have a lifetime books and works at his disposal. He recently played Cuellar’s Toccata and loved playing it. It was flashy and showy (all you need to bring you to the piano at this age and impress your audience). He is looking for similar pieces - probably around the grade 5/6 mark but where he can just have some fun alongside his usual routines but something that will make his audiences go ‘wow’. Would be grateful for suggestions. Thanks ever so much, Nala

Offline iamdopeuarenope

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 03:52:10 PM
Chopin Waltz in C# Minor isn't super showy but it sounds nice (Around Level 6)

Online liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 04:03:06 PM
Liszt Preludio might be a good long-term goal.

Posting a video of your son playing (with his consent of course) would help us to gauge what a good fit for him is a lot better, though.

Also, welcome to the forums! :)
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).

Offline pianistavt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 04:12:34 PM
Here's a few ideas:
- Kachaturian Sonatina
- Kachaturian Toccata
- Bartok Sonatina
- Bartok Rumanian Folk Dances
- Bartok Allegro Barbaro

Offline tsunamirhino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 01:17:36 PM
Thanks so much for these suggestions - the Kachaturian Toccata is well known to me and used to be my 'party piece' back in the day, but the Sonatina was unfamiliar to me and would be fantastic.  The other constraint that we have at the moment is that he is not a comfortable reach with the octave so that does limit things a bit!

Online liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 04:23:28 PM
The other constraint that we have at the moment is that he is not a comfortable reach with the octave so that does limit things a bit!
In that case, Preludio might not be a good idea; there are a few 9ths in there, which small hands will have immense difficulty in playing. As someone who can reach nearly an 11th, it's fairly easy for me. But if your son can barely reach an 8th, he might need to grow a bit more before he can reasonably play the etude. The alternative is arpeggiating the chords, but that's definitely not how it's meant to be played.
Hope this helps,
Liszt :)
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert