Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude, Op.25 Op.1 "Harp Etude" video..  (Read 4554 times)

Offline jeff135

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude, Op.25 Op.1 "Harp Etude" video..
on: April 03, 2007, 03:36:07 AM
It's still a work in progress (sorta), I am just putting the final touches on it.

It's almost note perfect (a few minor slips) but the tonal quality and cleanliness of the sound is due mainly to the poor recording quality -- it was recorded off my cousin's cell phone. The dynamics are also kind of messed up by it, but it is still listenable. =P

Any comments, praise or criticism, would be very much appreciated =)

PS: I have already recieved comments on a few beats that I skipped and I have dealt with those.

Thanks to all who watch =)

Offline virtuosic1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude, Op.25 Op.1 "Harp Etude" video..
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:12:05 AM
It's still a work in progress (sorta), I am just putting the final touches on it.

It's almost note perfect (a few minor slips) but the tonal quality and cleanliness of the sound is due mainly to the poor recording quality -- it was recorded off my cousin's cell phone. The dynamics are also kind of messed up by it, but it is still listenable. =P

Any comments, praise or criticism, would be very much appreciated =)

PS: I have already recieved comments on a few beats that I skipped and I have dealt with those.

Thanks to all who watch =)

I disagree with the almost note perfect statement. Now, could have been nerves because the tape was running, but I really believe that the errors aren't because the piece is beyond your technical capabilities. Quite frankly, I believe that the errors are due to not knowing the music precisely. Restudy the music. Be able to play any one random bar of your choice perfectly. be able to stop at any point, and resume moments later. Engrain the music in your mind, not your muscle memory, and all the errors will dissappear for good. And STOP looking at the keys. The hands are very static laterally on this Etude, you don't need your eyes to target. Use your mind.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:40:57 AM
That was an impressive cellphone. It even has a sepia tone filter ? :)
You play very well and the minor slips don't bother me at all. My suggestion would be to avoid abrupt tempo changes, which destroy the phrases. Try playing it with straight at a slower, steady tempo. I think immediately you will recognize the natural places for appropriate rubato at the end of phrases. In my experience, this much rubato is more than enough, and the piece will benefit from the singing, bel canto-like quality of the phrasing.

Keep up the good work!

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:05:42 AM
That was an impressive cellphone. It even has a sepia tone filter ? :)
You play very well and the minor slips don't bother me at all. My suggestion would be to avoid abrupt tempo changes, which destroy the phrases. Try playing it with straight at a slower, steady tempo. I think immediately you will recognize the natural places for appropriate rubato at the end of phrases. In my experience, this much rubato is more than enough, and the piece will benefit from the singing, bel canto-like quality of the phrasing.
Keep up the good work!

Well done, I think you are almost there. I agree with cygnus about the excessive tempo shifts. More generally, I don't think you have to "do" so much with this etude; if you play it naturally, the music speaks for itself. A few additional suggestions: I think that the phrasing in the first eight bars and around the climax need some additional work. I wasn't sure that you always knew how you want your phrasing to be, exactly. In bars 15-16 you may want to work out the "second melody" a bit more.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline jeff135

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:11:29 AM
Thanks, I will be sure to try out the suggestions I have been given so far.

Any more comments would be appreciated.  :)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:22:40 PM
Very nice!  ;D  I agree with the comments about doing a bit of work on the phrasing and evenness of tempo.  I have no problem with your taking some rubato--this is Romantic music.  Maybe think a little more now in terms of unifying the atmosphere of the piece so it sounds like one continuous whole.

Great work!
Teresa

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:45:37 PM
you are very talented! but,let it flow a little bit more. rubato is a beutiful thing but you are exaggerating. this is a very simple melody,dont play it as if it is a piece that will change the world. i think you have excellent possibilities.

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 03:50:48 PM
Well done and great work!

A few comments:
It may be the recording, but if not, be more careful with the pedalling to prevent too much smudging.
Bring out the inner voices more - don't just concentrate on the top line. There is a lovely inner melody for about one bar in the first page.
Try to keep the inner notes more subtle and less intrusive.
Don't hesitate between phrases too much in the middle - it spoils the effect leading to the climax.
As mentioned in previous posts, let the music speak for itself. Don't try to push it too much!

:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:26:14 PM
Decent performance. Read well what the previous poster wrote (fredric chopin).

Good luck.
1+1=11

Offline jeff135

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:12:10 PM
Yes, I will try to keep the rubato down a bit. Now that I listen to it, I see what you mean  :)

The loud inner voices that you hear are influenced by the quality, that has actually been one of my prime areas of work when I have been working on this piece. It is really much more subtle in person, though I can see why you'd be led to think that from the video.

Again I apologize for the poor quality  :-\

That said, again I greatly appreciate all the comments  ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 11:21:40 PM
i really like the lightness of your playing.  really enjoyed it.  perhaps the rubatos will be less - but keep the nice 'mood' changes that you do on the harmonic shifts.  they are impressive.   it's like some kind of kaleidoscope.  i really like the effort to different tonal shadings.

Offline jeff135

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 03:56:02 AM
Thanks pianissimo, I really appreciate your kind words  :)

I have decided to town down the rubato so it doens't influence the pace of the piece, though I try to make the phrases swell a bit, sort of soothing.

That's my interpretation anyway, but I tried to cut down on the excessiveness.

I'll try to post another video soon, but I don't have a camara and my cousin is away right now.

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:38:15 AM
We look forward to your next video.  :)
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert