Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Are pianists (or musicians) more intelligent?  (Read 5139 times)

Offline dolcejen

• PS Silver Member
Are pianists (or musicians) more intelligent?
on: October 02, 2005, 04:34:05 AM
Answer any way you like. I'm simply curious as to the general concensus around here.
Are pianists (or musicians in general) more smart?

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Re: Are pianists (or musicians) more intelligent?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:45:01 AM
Mah thoughts is:

Those who have an unnatural talent for it are not very smart as they have to do little concentration, but those who practice like mad are because they have to concentrate mad hard.
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 04:46:51 AM
 I am not sure, but to me it seems like musicians (Classical) in general are more organized, and conservative, but I guess intelligence varies from person to person...
I don't think there is any example showing the intelligence in the history of the pianists, off the top of my head...
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 05:34:43 AM
Intelligence varies from person to person. There are pianists who do think they're intelligent, but they often practice harder than the most talented pianists. It's hard to judge pianists on their intelligence anyway. It's so different from person to person.

- BB
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." - Maurice Ravel

Offline pianobabe_56

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 06:05:22 AM
I need the ego boost that comes from assuming I have something to offer society. So, at the risk of sounding arrogant: Definitely.  :)
<('.'<)   (>'.')>

Mind like a steel trap... Rusty and illegal in 37 states!

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 07:21:01 AM
Mah theory still stands and ah have met a few pianist who solidate it as law. 8)

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 12:54:10 PM
I think usually if i see people arround me, if they study music usually their school is in good mark, and they usually cleaver.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 02:19:56 PM
of course we are  8)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 03:18:36 PM
of course we are  8)

DAMN RIGHT WE ARE!!!! We are involved in a higher art form.

Offline pabst

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 03:41:04 PM
i thinks we is

====
Pabst

Offline gilad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 09:28:12 PM
i'm new to piano, half a year.
what i can say with certainty is that the users of this board come across as extremely brainy, especially if compared to many other forums i've visited over the years.
my teacher reckons that musicians score near the top of the distribution in intellegence scores.
now that i think about it, friends of mine that are musicians are very bright.
"My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions." --George W. Bush,

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 12:43:23 AM
*insert witty remark here*

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 01:37:55 AM
i can't say this thread represents any kind of intelligence, it's riddled with bad grammar and spelling mistakes!
intelligence is relative, i know 500 times more about music than the smartest of my friends do, but they're still smarter than me. however smartness doesn't necessarily suggest intelligence. there are music students i go to uni with who are idiots in all aspects and there are non-music students who aren't idiots. in the end everyone's the same, there's no difference between music, science, law, humanities, commerce, engineering, fine arts etc etc etc!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 01:41:10 AM
*** RIGHT WE ARE!!!! We are involved in a higher art form.

Is there a higher art form than Life ?  It seems to me that we are all pretty involved with that one  ;)
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 10:39:01 AM
Music does require intelligence. The more intelligent you are the more potential there is. But brains are flexible. With hard work even people with not very powerful brains can be excellent musicians.

I don't think pianists are smarter than other instrumentalists or singers, etc. Neither that musicians are smarter than people that do math, science, literature, chess, Go, programming, etc. Maybe painting is more intiutive and less brainy than music and math and stuff.

But, why can't incredible stupid people be musicians or play the piano? Surely the fact that someone plays piano doesn't mean anything. Now, if a person plays the piano really well, thats another story.

I do believe that playing, listening and creating music stimulates the brain and that it will help intellectual development. But I don't see why music is special in this aspect. A person that limits herself or himself to music only is probably less intelligent as a person that develops broader skills.
"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 01:29:04 PM
Is there a higher art form than Life ?  It seems to me that we are all pretty involved with that one  ;)

Technically how can life be an art form... You saying that idiots like Bam Margera and George W Bush are higher art forms????  :P   :)  ;D

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 01:36:42 PM
I also don't understand how life can be an art form. Every one is forced to live, we have nothing to choose or to express.. And you can't really compare the life of an ant to that of a human. But why wouldn't the life of an ant not be art and a human life would?
"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 03:09:41 PM
Well, I think it would be silly for me to further this discussion.  Maybe even more silly than me egging on the guys in the "am i sexist" threads.... he he.  Probably I should've resisted the temptation to have said anything in the first place.  :-X 

In a nutshell, though, I do not perceive what we are "doing" in music (or anything else for that matter) as separate than living itself.  Probably though, if we want to start a discussion on that particular thing, we should start a new thread instead of taking over this one.

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 03:38:08 PM
i can't say this thread represents any kind of intelligence, it's riddled with bad grammar and spelling mistakes!
intelligence is relative, i know 500 times more about music than the smartest of my friends do, but they're still smarter than me. however smartness doesn't necessarily suggest intelligence. there are music students i go to uni with who are idiots in all aspects and there are non-music students who aren't idiots. in the end everyone's the same, there's no difference between music, science, law, humanities, commerce, engineering, fine arts etc etc etc!

There's alway someone who bring up bad grammer. It's the internet. No one care about  grammer or spelling. To even correct some one or even bring it up is really a waste of time. Grammer dont got nothing to do with intellegence anyways.

;D (wish there were a smiley like this but with the middle tooth missing)

Offline gilad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 11:39:49 PM
 ;D i'd quite like one with only the middle tooth.
"My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions." --George W. Bush,

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 04:28:10 AM
There's alway someone who bring up bad grammer. It's the internet. No one care about grammer or spelling. To even correct some one or even bring it up is really a waste of time. Grammer dont got nothing to do with intellegence anyways.

;D (wish there were a smiley like this but with the middle tooth missing)

i know, thus emphasising the waste of time of this thread. i'm feeling narky so don't mess with me!!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline pianolearner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 08:18:52 PM
i know, thus emphasising the waste of time of this thread. i'm feeling narky so don't mess with me!!

I agree. Trying do define and measure intelligence in a way that satisfies eveyone is difficult enough. People would argue that there are so many aspects of intelligence that simply saying "more intelligent" is meaningless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_%28trait%29

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 02:49:30 PM
All people involved in a pure knowledge stream (pure sciences, arts, music etc etc etc..) are in general more intelligent since each of these require original thinking and creativity. There are exceptions of course, but in general that's the way it goes ....so Engineers, Businessmen, Management executives etc etc....'WE ARE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN YOU !!! '  ;D :D 8)
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline dolcejen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 03:59:32 AM
I think it would depend on what type of music the pianist practiced and played. Of course, if they filled their minds with pop drivel I doubt it would help their intelligence level. However, I have heard that classical music helps the mind quite a bit.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 04:28:11 AM
I think it would depend on what type of music the pianist practiced and played. Of course, if they filled their minds with pop drivel I doubt it would help their intelligence level. However, I have heard that classical music helps the mind quite a bit.

as pretty as you may be, jen, that statement was biased and a bit silly.

intelligence at its core - cognitive ability - doesnt really develop at all after adolescence, but anything more complex, classical music, maths, etc...while growing up will help stimulate the brain and help the development....but after youre an adult it cant really do anything.

remember theres a difference between knowledge and intelligence ;)

Offline dolcejen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 05:59:29 AM
Oohhhhh! You're SO right (said quite demurely with hands folded under chin)...
Sorry, rack it for another stupid blonde idea. Oops, I guess it's more like brunette with Alzheimer's.
Let me try to explain my somewhat trite comment of the last post.... (Basically I was just trying to bump the thread and put the first thing that came to mind, sorry to bother the more intellectual people around here)
I do agree that cognitive ability is an inborn core trait. But I do believe that most people are not developing or properly using the cognitive ability they do have, and perhaps destroying it with poor mental habits. The intellectual makeup of classical music if studied and understood could perhaps help in sharpening the cognitive processes. I'm open to people disagreeing with my hypothesis, I have not spent long hours studying it or confirming it. 

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 06:53:32 AM
I figure that classical music would attract people with intellectual leanings, in the sense that we're the bunch that is more stimulated by thinking/pondering-types of activities (reading, deep conversation, philosophy...). Maybe even with emotional leanings as well, that's the first impression music gives (emotional) that might make us choose music over computer programming.

Quote from: dolcejen
But I do believe that most people are not developing or properly using the cognitive ability they do have, and perhaps destroying it with poor mental habits. The intellectual makeup of classical music if studied and understood could perhaps help in sharpening the cognitive processes. I'm open to people disagreeing with my hypothesis, I have not spent long hours studying it or confirming it.

An old math teacher proposed the idea that the brain is like any other muscle; use it or lose it. This was her theory to why some people get... dim, as they age, while others can stay sharp - because they didn't get lazy and let their minds turn to mush. The brain will adapt to whatever tasks are routine. Athletic people have brains will adapted to physical coordination, someone who reads a lot will be good at creating meaning from words and imagining situations, and a couch potato is good at watching TV.

...Everything I say is based on intense research and study. Don't even try to disagree with me.  >:(
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert