Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: mendelssohn's rondo capriccioso  (Read 12404 times)

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
mendelssohn's rondo capriccioso
on: November 23, 2004, 04:32:05 PM
how difficult is this piece?
what technical difficulties it involved?

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Re: mendelssohn's rondo capriccioso
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 05:05:40 PM
pretty difficult considering the time period its from, but fairly insignifigantly difficut if compared with sorabji etc..

you need good octaves for the finish ;)

Offline Ludwig Van Rachabji

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:31:32 PM
When I learned it, it wasn't too difficult. It would help me to answer your question if I knew how long you have played, and what the most difficult piece you've ever learned is.

-Ludwig Van Rachabji
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:11:33 PM
im learning it right now and im having a bit of trouble with it...more trouble then beethovens waldstein and griegs concerto (thought im not to the hard part yet on the grieg concerto)....but don't listen to me....im only a two year pianist so my technique probably isnt very good
fun beautiful piece though!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 09:17:39 PM
im learning it right now and im having a bit of trouble with it...more trouble then beethovens waldstein and griegs concerto (thought im not to the hard part yet on the grieg concerto)....but don't listen to me....im only a two year pianist so my technique probably isnt very good
fun beautiful piece though!

Wow, you've been playing for two years and have learned the Waldstein! That is quite amazing.

- Ludwig Van Rachabji
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 02:55:42 AM
Think about this piece as if you were learning two Chopin etudes:

The Andante is an etude of expression and precise control.

The Rondo is an etude of right hand arpeggios, speed, volume, left hand melody etc. In general you need to need a virtuoso technique IMO.

Once you play it well, you can be satisfied that you have reached one of the picks in piano literature.

Good Recordings?? Murray Perahia and Benjamin Frith (Naxos)
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 03:03:24 AM
It's funny, I really wouldn't say it's that difficult. I found it easier that Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which so many people seem to find so "easy".

- Ludwig Van Rachabji

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 03:11:31 AM
I found it easier that Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

NO WAYˇˇ
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 03:28:05 AM
I do. I think it might be because I enjoyed practicing it more. I love "Moonlight", but it isn't as fun to play, imho.

- Ludwig Van Rachabji

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 06:58:05 AM
the key to this piece is to play it AFAP in the presto. The double note trills are wikid.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 06:32:58 PM
the key to this piece is to play it AFAP in the presto. The double note trills are wikid.

You don't necessarily need to play it as fast as possible. Of course, it is meant to be played very fast, however, playing any piece too fast will ruin it.

- Ludwig Van Rachabji

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 07:51:46 PM
yea i think the problem i am having with this piece is I am playing it too fast and i start to panic and play sloppily
well i have a recording of cziffra playing this and he plays it lighter then any pianists iv ever heard...amazes me

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 11:56:25 PM

You don't necessarily need to play it as fast as possible. Of course, it is meant to be played very fast, however, playing any piece too fast will ruin it.

- Ludwig Van Rachabji

in some pieces there is no such thing as too fast

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 12:01:54 AM
correct. I feel that this is the case in this piece but i admit that when you've been playing it afap it is very hard to play it correctly at a normal pace (which i have to do for my lessons). I still haven't heard Cziffra recording but i have Bolet's which is painfully slow.

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 12:32:51 AM
i have an arrau video of this piece, he is surprisingly vivacious(maybe because he was young)

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 12:45:04 AM
Is that from the golden age of the piano? i've seen this but the andante is omitted and there was also cuts in the presto. Overall i think it was a bit on the slow side  ;D

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 01:21:44 AM
well....considering its arrau  ;)

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 12:54:36 AM
i have an arrau video of this piece, he is surprisingly vivacious(maybe because he was young)
where did you buy this
im want it  ;D

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 03:16:50 AM
its on the golden age of the piano dvd

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 08:48:28 AM
The whole piece including the andante should last no more than 5 minutes.

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 11:08:14 AM
I just got my order of the complete hofmann vol 1-4 today. The Rondo Cappriccioso (sans andante) is wikidly fast (unofficial timing: 3'38") even if the recording quality is a bit sheet. IMO the andante should not be rushed as this adds to the fury and shock value that comes from the AFAP presto. btw, the Jorge Bolet recordings clocks in at a disgraceful 6'58".

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 05:15:10 PM
"the Jorge Bolet recordings clocks in at a disgraceful 6'58". "

are we measuring an intel pentium or amd athlon? "clocks at 6'58" ?

i have his recording and i think it's great, even if he is not playing it fast as other pianists, he is playing it very accuratly and musically wonderful.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 09:36:45 PM
Fury? Shock value? I don't get that feeling from this piece at all. Sure, it's fast, but don't you think that describing this piece as furious and shocking is going too far? Remember, the Presto is supposed to be played lightly, not angrily. After all, this is called 'Rondo Capriccioso', not 'Rondo Furioso'.

Offline pianochic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 02:01:20 PM
I love this piece. It's a great piece to learn! I most certainly encourage you to learn it!
What do you think of when you play/listen to this piece?
Rondo Capriccioso reminds of... fairy land! lol.

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 07:06:05 PM
almost all of mendelssohn compositions remind me of fairy tales,elves,dwarves and other "lord of the rings" stuff  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 07:40:35 PM
It doesn't really remind me of "Fairy Land". In my opinion, it reminds me of some sort of love story. I can't really explain what I mean in a way that makes sense, but when I sit down and listen to it, I can almost piece together an entire story.

Try some MacDowell sonatas if you want 'fairy tale' music. They are great pieces!  :)

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 01:10:45 AM
I would say this piece is pretty hard though. And requires parts of a virtuoso technique sometimes (like most of the presto part for instance).

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 01:42:34 AM
are we measuring an intel pentium or amd athlon? "clocks at 6'58" ?
da timings are of upmost importance, da slow tempo makes Bolet's recording incredibly boring.

Fury? Shock value? I don't get that feeling from this piece at all
how do you play the octaves on the last page? dolce? *shudders*

but don't you think that describing this piece as furious and shocking is going too far?

no, i didn't mean that its furious throughout, but the level of fury builds through the presto before unleashing its max in the octs  8)

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 01:53:47 AM
correct. I feel that this is the case in this piece but i admit that when you've been playing it afap it is very hard to play it correctly at a normal pace (which i have to do for my lessons). I still haven't heard Cziffra recording but i have Bolet's which is painfully slow.

The live Bolet  performance from Tully is phenomenal.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 04:25:00 AM
I would say this piece is pretty hard though. And requires parts of a virtuoso technique sometimes (like most of the presto part for instance).

I agree

--Alfred Brendel--

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004, 05:24:52 PM

da timings are of upmost importance, da slow tempo makes Bolet's recording incredibly boring.

how do you play the octaves on the last page? dolce? *shudders*

no, i didn't mean that its furious throughout, but the level of fury builds through the presto before unleashing its max in the octs  8)

OK, I see what you mean. I was refering to the whole piece, but you obviously meant the octaves.

Thanks.

Offline pianochic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004, 02:33:42 PM
This piece wasn't too hard for me except for the little section before the first series of octaves. It requires a lot of practicing to get it under your fingers for sure. It's a very beautiful piece, and when I mastered it... it was worthwhile playing this beautiful... fairy land song.  ;)

Offline doggone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 01:36:42 AM
The best account I have heard of this piece is by Jean-Yves Thibaudet.  He tosses it off with ease.  And he gets a lot more out of it (i.e. musicality) than others I have heard e.g. Perahia

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: December 15, 2004, 01:54:27 AM
Thibaudet's presto is very good but the andante is boring.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert