Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: 2 Improvs - September 16, 2005 - Prepared piano!  (Read 3653 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
2 Improvs - September 16, 2005 - Prepared piano!
on: September 17, 2005, 07:13:39 AM
Here are two prepared piano improvs I did.  The first one has moments of Messiaen inspired ideas.  Second one is sort of a warped blues scale idea.  Near the end I loose the stride because one of the wedges in the strings fell through and I was trying to retreive it while playing. 

Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3
Items in piano: calculators, broken PDA, wood stick, casette tapes, metal coat hanger, metal ruler, orange caps off Canon ink cartridges. 

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: 2 Improvs - September 16, 2005 - Prepared piano
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 11:21:25 AM
#2, plus a picture of the items inside the piano.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: 2 Improvs - September 16, 2005 - Prepared piano!
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:15:27 PM
Hmm, let's try again.  Here's the picture. 

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 03:49:18 PM
I really like #1, it makes me wish I had a baby grand. Preparing an upright seems harder.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 02:53:38 AM
Thanks. 

There is an advantage to using an upright: You can mute strings or create harmonic nodes with your feet while having both hands free on the keys.  Just open up the bottom pannel of the piano. 

Offline Etude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 06:59:11 PM
Hehehe, I used to love improvising on prepared piano.  Nice!   :)

That's also the best preparation I've heard in the first one at 4:37 for example.  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert