Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Which Method?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline keynote88

• PS Silver Member
Which Method?
on: June 30, 2003, 03:10:49 AM
Fellow piano teachers, which piano method do you use (the most) the one that's your favorite? Please explain why you chose that method.

Thanks,
Keynote88
Piano Teacher

Offline ilovechopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which Method?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 12:05:33 AM
I use the Music Tree series by Frances Clark.  I like this series because it teaches reading from an intervalic approach rather than a positional approach.  The student learns three landmark notes to begin, then learns other notes based on the interval from the landmark notes.  I think in the books that still use a postional approach the student is reading finger numbers, not notes, and I think it cripples them.  I have a transfer student who cannot play ANYTHING unless she puts her hand in C position first.  Drives me nuts!  And her reading is horrendous.  Just my two cents.
"Music alone speaks to the imagination, the mind, the heart and the senses..."  Hector Berlioz

Offline musikgeek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 07:29:40 AM
I use the Bon's-Way Fastrak Piano Course which utilize
the methods of the Great European Masters now  revived in the western world through  complete comprehensive program.  https://www.musikgeek.com/fastrak1.html

Shannon Andrews
CTM - Bon's-Way Piano Course
www.musikgeek.com/fastrak1.html

Offline pianomagic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 07:19:24 AM
ilovechopin is so right.  It's very important that they not read by the finger numbers through position playing.  I don't teach much with an interval approach, but we do a lot of reading.

Flashcards are my greatest blessing in teaching!  One teacher once taught me "Cut C" for the middle c, "Dangling D" for the d above, and "Even E" for the e.  I've expanded a little to "First Space F" and "Ginny G."  (We call the G Clef "Ginny G Clef.")

For the left hand in middle C position, we have "Left-Hand C," "Bubbling B," "Top Line A," "Under Ground G," and "Freddie F."  (We call the F Clef "Freddie F Clef.")

I use "Very First Piano Book: Story of Tony" by Elizabeth Quaille.  This book, however, is slow-going for those that don't practice much.  If that's the case, then they don't learn much!  So I usually add "me and my piano: very first lessons for the young beginner" by Waterman-Harewood.  Although it uses English (as in British) terminology, it's proven to be extremely successful in teaching students to read.

I then go into Diller-Quaile's "25 First Grade Piano Pieces." and "Me and my piano:part 2, Piano Technique."  The first is not as easy as the title, and the second is not really a book of technique.  It's just the second level book of learning to play the piano.  

After that, we go into repertoire books like Gretchaninov, Kabalevsky, and Bach.  

What's nice about these books is that they're "teacher-dependent."  Unlike some method books which spoon feed everything to the student, these books need a teacher.  I find that when I teach out of books like that, I'm more likely to think of what a student needs to learn, then find a piece to match.  

In method books, it's easy to fall into the trap of just turning the page and assigning everything in order.  

But ilovechopin said it simply and correctly.  Avoiding the position and fingering heavy books is important!

Offline angelucci1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 09:43:47 AM
Hi there,
If you're set on using a method book to begin with, it can be VERY challenging since there are so many out there to choose from (as you've undoubedly discovered!).  Personally, I think the Alfred books are some of the best out there, and I tend to use those most often.  Bastien is also very good, though they remain in 5-finger patterns longer than most other methods.  The Faber and Faber books get a student moving around more, but for some students it's a little too "jumpy".  A lot of people like the Francis Clarke "Learning Tree" series, but I don't think these books always engage children as well.

Try to mix and match books between your students if you can.  Not every book is right for every child.  It's also nice to be teaching different repertoire; this way it's more interesting for the students come recital time (not to mention more interesting for you).

Good luck!

Offline brotherben

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 04:06:12 AM
My favorite method books is Fabor and Fabor.  I feel that they truly get to the heart of the matter.  The students love the colors, pictures, etc., and teachers love the material that's being taught.

I also like the Alfred series.  I like the theory and performance books; they flow together.  I know many teachers don't like the Alfred series, but for a beginner teacher, Alfred helps a lot!

I sure hope this helped you out.

Take care,
Ben

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 02:47:19 AM
what do you think of John Thompson series?

boliver

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 06:01:59 PM
On beginers I use mainly the NIkolayev.... some microcosmos thrown in and a bunch of excercise I write myself (The turtle song, the bunny song, the transformer mighty morphin power ranger song) for the kids... I use the beyer duets and some other stuff... depends on the student
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 06:09:45 PM
I think we would all be delighted to see "The transformer mighty morphin power ranger song". Any chance of showing us?
Ed
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert