Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What a TEACHER !!!  (Read 2707 times)

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
What a TEACHER !!!
on: December 04, 2006, 03:17:14 AM
Let me mention the situation I am in : (wharever you are teacher or pupil)

1. Teacher who just keep joking with you all round the hour and when it's times up, she just ''invite'' you to leave .
(P.S. The $600 HKD is gone for just one hour)

2.The pupli before , was late , and then she just CURTAIL the lesson of MINE !!!

3.Not wanna to teaches me some pieces that I advise ,request .
But says :: you are not in the standard , don't be too ambitous :o

4.Maybe is my fault ---- She just keep remind me the same thing in the whole lesson, and .... No MORE advice for the pieces .

5. Moreover , she even just let me play the only ONE version during the WHOLE lesson !
   And just help me to count the beat ,,,, OMG >:(

Oh!! I just don't want to talk about my teacher more , she is just......

One of my friend said that I must have another piano teacher instead of this one .
Unfortunately, I have no clue that HOW to select a good teacher , in my own .
My friend 's teacher is really great, but it cost a fortune!!
I just can't affard the among of the money....OOOOOOOOOOps!**

What do you guys think ?
You are very welcome to give me any of your advice or suggestions  ::)

S

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: What a TEACHER !!!
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:15:24 PM
Teacher - student chemistry is very important.  You can't start to learn anything if you don't fist get along.  When you find that special teacher, you will know. 

Go out there and search.  Talk to other music students about their teachers: As about what are their methods? How do they carry themselves during lesson?  What is their personality like?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:56:08 AM
Teacher - student chemistry is very important. You can't start to learn anything if you don't fist get along. When you find that special teacher, you will know.

Go out there and search. Talk to other music students about their teachers: As about what are their methods? How do they carry themselves during lesson? What is their personality like?

M....I know what you mean , and I agree with you , honestly/\/\
And YES, I did ask some of my friend about their teacher's teaching methods .
Also , share my situation to them . They ,, mostly suggestted me to get change of a teacher like THIS ~**

OOops, what sould I do ????

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:06:31 PM
QUANTUM is so correct!   you have to be able to communicate with your teacher for a good relationship.   Sounds like this one is not good! I would search for another teacher.   I tell my students at the first meeting "you must make a commitment to tell me how you are feeling and be totally open with me, even if you think it might not be what I want to hear".   I try to start off the relationship that way!  I want to know what a student is feeling and likes/dislikes.     Like I tell them, I may still tell you you need to do something you don't like, but I want us to discuss it.    jay

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 04:46:03 PM
I dont like to slang off teachers I dont know - but this one just sounds unprofessional if nothing else. The least they could do is give you your full lesson time and start it punctually!  You need a teacher who will be tough but who still gives encouragement. You must change the teacher because you sound close to wits end and on verge of giving up and this wont do! Tell the teacher you are dissatisfied and see what reacion you get. This will help you to decide. If it dosent get better. Arrange consultations with at least 3 teachers and then make a decision who you like best. yyour lessons sound expensive - you should be able to sind someone for the same or cheaper!

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:00:45 AM
QUANTUM is so correct! you have to be able to communicate with your teacher for a good relationship. Sounds like this one is not good! I would search for another teacher. I tell my students at the first meeting "you must make a commitment to tell me how you are feeling and be totally open with me, even if you think it might not be what I want to hear". I try to start off the relationship that way! I want to know what a student is feeling and likes/dislikes. Like I tell them, I may still tell you you need to do something you don't like, but I want us to discuss it. jay

Communicate . . . . .
Yeah, I know I should do it , but the fact is ::  I'm TOO shy to express my dissatisfied  :-[
Even , this effects my ferformance every time !!! /___\ (sobbing)
Maybe it's because  I'm A teenager from HK --- most of my friend are very shy to express their felling openly . Groan ,..........
I dont like to slang off teachers I dont know - but this one just sounds unprofessional if nothing else. The least they could do is give you your full lesson time and start it punctually! You need a teacher who will be tough but who still gives encouragement. You must change the teacher because you sound close to wits end and on verge of giving up and this wont do! Tell the teacher you are dissatisfied and see what reacion you get. This will help you to decide. If it dosent get better. Arrange consultations with at least 3 teachers and then make a decision who you like best. yyour lessons sound expensive - you should be able to sind someone for the same or cheaper!

Agree!
Now , My friend is just helping me to selects some other professional piano teachers,
but, I 'm afraid  to tell her '' I have already selected aother teacher , so....this would be our last lesson .....'''
Desperate!! :-\

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 03:35:40 AM
sophia.      can you email your teacher and explain things?   maybe that would be easier?    I like emails because you get a chance to think about what you are saying or replying to.    Also, you don't have to give her a long explanation, just tell her you have to discontinue lessons for personal reasons.    I'll be honest,I do like it better when people tell me the truth completely, but you really aren't obligated to if you don't feel like you can tell her all about it.   That's up to you!

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:53:05 AM
1. Teacher who just keep joking with you all round the hour and when it's times up, she just ''invite'' you to leave .
(P.S. The $600 HKD is gone for just one hour)
I guess it depends what "joking with you all round" includes. :)

5. Moreover , she even just let me play the only ONE version during the WHOLE lesson !
   And just help me to count the beat ,,,, OMG >:(
If it's $100 Australian dollars for one hour with a human metronome.... I would run away screaming in terror.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:54 AM
sophia. can you email your teacher and explain things? maybe that would be easier? I like emails because you get a chance to think about what you are saying or replying to. Also, you don't have to give her a long explanation, just tell her you have to discontinue lessons for personal reasons. I'll be honest,I do like it better when people tell me the truth completely, but you really aren't obligated to if you don't feel like you can tell her all about it. That's up to you!

Thank you very much for your Great suggestion , in the first place , indeed!
This is really a god idea to explan to my teacher .
However , I'm still afraid that she would ask me the reasons behind :-[
Am I too irk ?!!
I think so ,,,

Offline oceansoul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 08:28:24 PM
Greetings, Sophia.
In my opinion, if you don't want to expose yourself you should, in fact, e-mail the teacher and tell her that you want to stop having lessons for personal reasons. If she asks back, you answer again that the reasons are personal. She'll understand by then, e-mailing you back saying "ok", or whatever... If she starts using Caps, just tell her that she's not a good teacher and should dedicate to fishing. lol

Good luck,
OceanSoul.

Offline penguinlover

Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 07:46:32 PM
I agree.  Just state that you must  discontinue because of personal reasons. I think the teacher will understand and not ask you what those reasons are.  If she does, just be firm and say it's personal.  The nature of personal things is that they are private, keep them that way.  Most adults  will understand that.

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 02:10:06 PM
re : penguinlover & oceansoul ,

Thanks a lot  :)
I 'm relly glad to receice your reply , and it encurage me to express my feeling to my teacher.
But now, there is a little changes with her , she , now , doesn't curtail my lesson too much ,
and i 'm  fetching another piano teacher at the moment , so I decided to keep on learning piano with her till I 've choose the new one .

Frankly , I'll miss her /// Ridiculous ? ::)

Offline penguinlover

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 03:21:17 PM
No, it's natural to miss a person who you have built up a relationship with, and like.  You can like her as a person, just not a piano teacher.  I think it is wise to  keep up lessons during your search, however, the longer you take with the current teacher, the harder it will be to get another one.  You do what's best for you. The teacher will survive.

Offline jpianoflorida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 03:42:00 PM
even in dating relationships that maybe were really bad, sometime later down the road, you miss certain things.   Missing her means you care about people's feelings! That is obvious that you care about people.  Don't ever change your sensitivity sophia.    That is a wonderful quality to have!

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 01:45:28 PM
No, it's natural to miss a person who you have built up a relationship with, and like. You can like her as a person, just not a piano teacher. I think it is wise to keep up lessons during your search, however, the longer you take with the current teacher, the harder it will be to get another one. You do what's best for you. The teacher will survive.

Thank you Penguinlover.
Your precious advice had made up my mind! YOu have mentioned just the ACTALLY what I, myself is thinking, but not unless you have replied this post.
I 'm really glad that you are still, willing to reply my posy /\/\''
Otherwise, I think I'm still hesitating ;)
Shall I tell you what I got to do just now?  Well, I 'm going to meet another piano teacher next week, and if I think that she is the appropiate teacher , then I will, sent an SMS or e-mail to notify the one I'm having.
even in dating relationships that maybe were really bad, sometime later down the road, you miss certain things. Missing her means you care about people's feelings! That is obvious that you care about people. Don't ever change your sensitivity sophia. That is a wonderful quality to have!

/\/\''
Thank you for your admiration in the first place, jpianoflorida.
You are a nice guy. I'm very pleased to receive your reply too :)

Offline penguinlover

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 01:43:27 AM
Keep us posted in what happens.  I really hope this new teacher and you are a good match.  Let us know!  Penguinlover

Offline 026497

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:41:48 AM

I just can't affard the among of the money....OOOOOOOOOOps!**

What do you guys think ?
You are very welcome to give me any of your advice or suggestions  ::)

Sophia, I think i can help you.
Are you in hongkong? I know two very good teachers, with master degree, from manhatten & australia, charge 400 / 500 per hour only. One is very generous, she charges poor student almost half price, she was teaching in an international school. Their students won many awards from the hk school music festival.
But they are very selective. They have to 'test' you before they take you as a student.
Let me know if you want their contact.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert