Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Normal pianists?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Normal pianists?
on: April 22, 2006, 04:31:17 PM
So many I see seem a little off in some way.  Not quite normal.  I wonder if they got a little messed up mentally from studying the piano.

What performers or teachers are "normal?"

I just ran into one...  creeped me out and reminded me of this idea.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Re: Normal pianists?
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:13:53 PM

Its probably the years of deprivation, isolation etc, combined with a good dose of extrovertism!

SJ

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 06:22:44 PM
hahah, piano creeps eh?

I can start to feel myself turning strange when I've been holed up practicing for too long without much human contact. I'm sure a lifestyle like that would produce a weirdo.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:11:32 PM
many people in the arts are weird; you should see the english department of my university - they are all a bunch of communists!  A lot of the profs -even the men- are ravonously feminist.  Pianists are the same way; I guess its considered 'fashionable' to deviate from the norm.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:37:41 PM

Yes, but only with those who need to imitate!

SJ

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:12:06 AM
since when was anyone normal?
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 03:18:14 AM

True !
It's better to make your own mistakes than copy someone else's. - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 03:25:49 AM
Normality is a mentality, and if the pianists live their life how they want there is nothing to render them abnormal, except towards other people who's living is different.

We would most prefer a normal partner (one with not many differences to ourselves) than an abnormal partner (one with completely the opposite personality), wouldn't we? Though a well known saying tells otherwise...

Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:26:24 AM
I am normal  ;D ;)
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 03:47:07 AM
piano players are nothing compared to composers and Conducters.  But the really into-it pianists seem to tend towards the unhinged side of the spectrum.
"True friends stab you in the front."      -Oscar Wilde

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 03:59:05 AM
I remember talking to some of my classmates during our very first week at university as music students.  One of the professors apparantly drove around for 6 hours trying to look for some "tone" he heard in his head.  We all joked that the scary thing about being a music student is some day we would be doing the same thing.

.... Couple years later - we are so much on our way to becoming like that.  Thank you profs, you taught us well.   ;) ;D

Actually I don't think he ever did find that tone he was searching for. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline penguinlover

Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:26:24 AM
I am normal too, m1469.  I do live with hundreds of penguins and tend to harmonize with school bells and other random tones.  But  that comes with the territory!

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 04:39:14 AM

yes....
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 06:00:38 AM
Well let's face it - it takes a special personality to spend 5 hours at a time in a practice room by yourself.  That's one reason I also play the clarinet - in a band - to get some social interaction.  Folks that play orchiestral instruments get more interaction on a regular basis. not as lonely.
So much music, so little time........

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 07:02:46 AM
What if it is infact us musicians who are normal and the rest of the world that isn't normal?  ;)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline anekdote

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 08:56:11 AM
Piano had no influence over my normality. I was abnormal from birth.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 11:33:21 AM
Well according to Webster normal is:

2b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
3 : occurring naturally

So from those definitions woudn't a state or abnormality constitute a state of normality within the state of abnormality? 

Couldn't we then agree to divide all such behaviours into classes of abnormality within which is contained a state of relative normality?

Therefore is it possible to say that x is an element of abnormality such that in each state of abnormality there exists a subset of normality.

Wouldn't this mean then that the concept of "abnormality" is not a description but rather  one of many classifier headings under which substates of "normality" can exist. 

Eg: Think of abnormality as a star in the galaxy.  There are many stars which can contain solar systems of planetiods.  There is a possibility that life could be evolving on similar such solar systems as ours.  Normality is a presumed within the interactions of the life within the solar system, but once there is an attempt to contact life elsewhere it may appear that such life forms are not "normal" because they do not contain the same specifications. 

Is my thinking abnormal?  ::)  but wait then that would mean it is really normal. 

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 05:09:49 PM
I think RC was asking if piano player can be normal as in are there any pianists that aren't socially retarded?

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 05:56:57 PM
Well, the concept of "normalcy" is subjective, as the general meaning people have when they use the word "normal" is "like everyone else".

Therefore, being "normal" may actually be undesirable!

Take example A: everyone randomly becomes obsessed with eating nothing but bananas and playing dragonballz. Would you want to be "normal" in that scenario?

However, I do agree- professional pianists are.. weird. :P
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 06:23:20 PM

However, I do agree- professional pianists are.. weird. :P

:P i'll say.. ;)

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 11:02:11 PM
...I have no words.

LOL

[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 12:09:24 AM
what's he doing with his hands. Kind of Alien-like, I think.

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 12:24:35 AM
Hey, he looks like a child in that photo. I think he's playing with his hands. :P
It's better to make your own mistakes than copy someone else's. - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:16 AM
well, it creeps me out, I mean look at his EYES, they're like "wanna play?" creepy doll/ child in a horror film eyes... *shudder*

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 12:36:30 AM
well, it creeps me out, I mean look at his EYES, they're like "wanna play?" creepy doll/ child in a horror film eyes... *shudder*

Lol  :D Nice description. Also note that his hair is shorter than normal.

Alex

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 01:40:46 AM
well, ::) you know :$

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 02:06:50 AM
Ya I play piano, and I'm a weirdo haha.  Not weird like "wanna play?" weird... I'm just really random and spontanious.  My personality can be described by an episode of family guy. 
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 04:46:53 AM
BTW Have you heard Kissin's voice. It's something like : "It wath neveth vigtuothithy fog the thake of the thound" (It was never virtuosity for the sake of the sound). And sometimes he stops talking for about a minute while he looks at the floor, then he starts again. It's just too funny.  ;D

Cheers
Alex

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 02:03:51 PM
See? See? Socially Retarded!!!
Poor bugger...

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 03:06:45 PM
BTW Have you heard Kissin's voice. It's something like : "It wath neveth vigtuothithy fog the thake of the thound" (It was never virtuosity for the sake of the sound). And sometimes he stops talking for about a minute while he looks at the floor, then he starts again. It's just too funny.  ;D

Cheers
Alex

I believe the line was "Et wath nevah vaightuothec.....(9 seconds)....foe tha sthAke.. of vaightuothitay" 

haha kind of like Mr. Bean

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 11:31:38 PM
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes it was like that!
It's from "The art of Piano" Interview !

Lol  ;D ;D ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert