Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Stupid things non-musicians say to us  (Read 81900 times)

Offline nutellamiam

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stupid things non-musicians say to us
Reply #250 on: February 21, 2009, 01:21:11 AM
It's not stupid, but it's made me laugh :P
I was playing something at my school, and a friend told me "I just can't understand how you are able to read 2 lines at the same time !"  :)

Offline alpacinator1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #251 on: February 21, 2009, 04:31:50 PM
Chopin Etude 42.
There is such thing.

Except for the fact that he only wrote 24...
Working on:
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata
Bach - C minor WTC I
Liszt - Liebestraume no. 3
Chopin - etude 25-12

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #252 on: February 21, 2009, 04:35:34 PM
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline learner of liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #253 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35:45 PM
I remember a few weeks ago I went to a local music store and tested out one of their grand pianos with a bit of Liszt. When I was done, some customer came up to me and said I was almost as good as Clayderman. Sometimes, I really hate the way non-musicians think so highly of crossover pianists, or whatever their called.
"My age… I cannot remember it, it keeps changing every year!"
~Bernhard
"Why should I go to anyone's funeral? They won't go to mine!"
~Learner of Liszt

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #254 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:43 AM
Chopin Etude 42.
There is such thing.

I think you are confused, as there are 27 chopin etudes, (12 in op 10, 12 in op 25, 3 nouvelles etudes without opus number).  chopin op 42 is one of the waltzes.

Offline elvaretta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #255 on: March 10, 2009, 02:43:36 PM
"Wow..you're good in reading those sprout!"

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #256 on: March 10, 2009, 02:53:38 PM
Honestly, I think that musicians often say things to one another that are much more stupid, and on many levels, than what "non-musicians" say to musicians.

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #257 on: March 10, 2009, 02:56:09 PM
Honestly, I think that musicians often say things to one another that are much more stupid, and on many levels, than what "non-musicians" say to musicians.

I concur.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #258 on: March 10, 2009, 04:17:03 PM
These are conversations I had with a worker in the animal care facility.

"What instrument do you play?"

"I play the piano."

"Oh I think piano is the most fundamental instrument to learn because everybody in the orchestra plays the piano too."

Offline chopinmozart7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #259 on: March 10, 2009, 06:04:41 PM
A friend of mine told me once: "playing the piano is almost the easiest thing you can do,you only have to press buttons"

If the immortals had written music for all eternity, we would not have remembered their music.

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #260 on: March 11, 2009, 03:10:22 PM
"press buttons"

huh!   ???

Offline yeli_v

• PS Silver Member
Reply #261 on: March 12, 2009, 02:59:34 PM
My Mom and I were in the music section of a department store once and asked a sales lady if they had any Chopin CD's.(We were in a hurry and had no time to browse) "Could you please spell that out for me?" she asked. So we did. Then she calls out to a colleague of hers "Hey Myrna, could you please check if we have any Chopstick CD's available?"

And another one.

non-musician: "You play really well."
me: "Gee, thanks."
non-musician: "Could you maybe sing Mulan's Reflection while you're at it? I love that song! Or maybe the one from Alicia Keys with the piano part? All pianists can sing too, right?"

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #262 on: March 17, 2009, 10:46:01 PM
Somebody listened to me and watched me playing Chopin study op. 10,1. After a while he asked me: For you as a pianist, what is so interesting about this piece? It goes just up and down all the time... :P

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #263 on: March 17, 2009, 10:48:38 PM
Somebody listened to me and watched me playing Chopin study op. 10,1. After a while he asked me: For you as a pianist, what is so interesting about this piece? It goes just up and down all the time... :P

Fair question imo.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #264 on: March 17, 2009, 11:28:09 PM
Fair question imo.
I tend to see it as a sort of feedback that tells me I haven't played convincingly enough. So, yes, perhaps...

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #265 on: March 17, 2009, 11:38:58 PM
I tend to see it as a sort of feedback that tells me I haven't played convincingly enough. So, yes, perhaps...

I´m not questioning your performance.  :)
 I just think that he made a valid point. I mean, it just goes up and down doesn't it? What appears hard to non musicians differs from a musicians view. Maybe it didn't do much to his ears.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #266 on: March 17, 2009, 11:46:43 PM
I´m not questioning your performance.  :)
 I just think that he made a valid point. I mean, it just goes up and down doesn't it? What appears hard to non musicians differs from a musicians view. Maybe it didn't do much to his ears.

Yeah right. But I remember that I thought back then If I should answer: But almost every music goes up and down :P  ;D

Offline shingo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #267 on: May 24, 2009, 03:26:43 PM
I hadn't felt it necessary to post in here yet as I am well aware that I probably say some stereotypically banal or naive comments to those whose hobbies I am not a part of (and even those I am part of  ;D), but yesterday I was genuinely shocked when a non-musical friend of mine didn't know what Music Theory was.

I had mentioned it to him in passing and he thought it was a philosophical discussion about music (I am not quite sure what he thought in detail). It had never occured to me that some people weren't aware that music has rules and laws and such to underpin the sound they here.

Offline giannalinda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #268 on: May 24, 2009, 06:46:05 PM
I TOLD A GIRL AT MY SCHOOL THAT I PLAYED INSTRUMENTS AND SHE SAID:INSTRUMENTS ARE FOR DORKS... I FOUGHT WITH HER AND NOW I HATE HER. I ASKED HER IF SHE PLAYED AN INSTRUMENT AND SHE SAID NO AND I SAID FIGURES AND THEN SHE SAID: "IM TOO SMART FOR MUSIC"
AND I SAID ONLY SMART PEOPLE PLAY MUSIC...SHE GOT MAD
All the old members here I kno, uve been quite mean lately, even though I apologized so i would like to ask you to please if u dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. Thank you.

Offline twiltot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #269 on: June 23, 2009, 03:54:38 PM
when I wasn't going to a music academy, my friend always tells me Beethoven Appasionata is the only thing that can put him to sleep....we do not even see each other now...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #270 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:08 PM
An interesting comment.  I said something to someone about practicing being rough that day and not really enjoying it, that it was work.  The reply, "You're not into music much, are you?"  A bit different response.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #271 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:57 PM
i am mostly tolerant and empathetic. so i dont remember much of possible stupid things non musicians say to me.
dignity, love and joy.

Offline mr music

• PS Silver Member
Reply #272 on: June 24, 2009, 12:48:13 PM
Occasionally I would get with an unintelligent grin “Blowing your own trumpet?” (I used to be a trumpet player).
MUSIC, MY LIFE.

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Reply #273 on: June 30, 2009, 05:43:07 PM
I just came across a movie forum in which someone asked for JS Bach's e-mail! ("I love his music and wanted to possibly get in touch, any help would be great.")  :o

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #274 on: June 30, 2009, 05:47:02 PM
Yeah, I heard that Bach guy wrote a few good songs. :)

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #275 on: July 01, 2009, 06:10:00 AM
From a brand new student, who has not ever played an instrument or taken any theory classes:  "I want to learn piano, but do you guys also teach harmony?"  I wanted to ask if they even knew what harmony was.

"I love the moonlight sonata, it's so slow and calm"

After playing Liszt Liebestraum (the popular one), for my parents, my mom said:  "When we were on our cruise, the pianists would have played that at half the speed, and it would've been so relaxing"  I almost threw up on the spot at the thought of that piece played at half speed by some background pianist at a fancy dinner.

"I hate classical music, it all sounds the same"... says the person who listens to Simple Plan and My Chemical Romance.  I wanted to slap them so hard it wasn't even funny.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #276 on: July 01, 2009, 07:01:37 PM
"I hate classical music, it all sounds the same"... says the person who listens to Simple Plan and My Chemical Romance.  I wanted to slap them so hard it wasn't even funny.

Yeah, that makes me really angry. The other thing that annoys me is when I'm REALLY bored and take stupid Facebook quizzes, they ask "What type of music do you listen to?" and one of the choices is usually "Classical/Anything soothing". As if "classical" and "soothing" were synonymous!  ::)
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #277 on: September 18, 2009, 02:22:01 AM
Yeah, that makes me really angry. The other thing that annoys me is when I'm REALLY bored and take stupid Facebook quizzes, they ask "What type of music do you listen to?" and one of the choices is usually "Classical/Anything soothing". As if "classical" and "soothing" were synonymous!  ::)

SO TRUE!! 

Offline twiltot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #278 on: April 23, 2010, 02:58:18 PM
My friend who started to piano recently came to me and said;

"So you know all the notes, so you can play everything!!!!!"

I got really angry at that time. I don kno whhy..

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #279 on: April 23, 2010, 05:41:43 PM
And then there is this other question: 'Do you like math?' And if you answer 'no', the result is "You don't listen to classical music".

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #280 on: April 23, 2010, 07:40:03 PM
Reply removed.

Offline m2r

• PS Silver Member
Reply #281 on: April 27, 2010, 05:15:20 PM
I have people tell me that video games are better for you than music.  There was no way to change his mind I just think that he is crazy.

Offline kookaburra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #282 on: April 27, 2010, 10:00:55 PM
I have recently learned shubert's impromptu - 90-2. I picked it because it is quite hard and challenging for me, which I need, and because it sounds quite impressive, which makes it good to play for "non-musicals" who have no clue how hard something is just by listening. I have been somewhat embarassed by this fact in the past, when I work for months on a song and they don't know the difference. so I thought, this is a good one to play for relatives and such, and they might even recognize it. Well I played it at some relatives house. I had warned them that I would need to warm up before I could actually play anything, they said ok ...   So I sat down and warmed up, and then I got out the shubert piece and started playing a little through the hard parts, to remind myself how to do them.... and then I start playing it best I can. well my uncle and aunt come over and comment, "wow those are some really good exercises" and "mm. good finger stretch." and then they mosey on out. and I'm there saying, "ah, er, well, this is actually supposed to be my actual main piece, uh....m"

To say the least, I was greatly dissapointed. All that work! So I guess it doesn't really matter if I play something that I think will be crowd-pleasing, because it might be mistaken for an exercise. ahg! I sympathize with the person on this thread who said they played Hanon and got an ovation.

:-\

hey, maybe next time I should play finger exercises for real. easy for me, and they won't know the difference!..... ;)

oh well....
c'est la vie......

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline redragon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #283 on: April 28, 2010, 12:27:09 AM
"I hate classical music, it all sounds the same"... says the person who listens to Simple Plan and My Chemical Romance.  I wanted to slap them so hard it wasn't even funny.
Ha! that is so true....

I recently auditioned for my school's talent show.
I played a quick warm up (Burgmuller's Terantella, op. 100 , no 20). After that, i played my actual audition piece, one that i composed myself.
Of course, the judges told me they liked my warm-up better because it was faster....
Go figure....
"Music is the strongest form of magic." -Marilyn Manson

Offline lohshuhan

Reply #284 on: May 06, 2010, 04:48:57 PM
"can you play Allegro con Brio by beethoven?"

:o :o :o

Offline cdales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #285 on: May 14, 2010, 10:30:29 PM
When we're driving somewhere together, my husband and I often listen to KUSC (the local classical radio station). Whenever a solo piano piece is broadcast, my husband will ineveitably say, "You play that, don't you??"

In fairness to him, I must admit I've dabbled in a lot of repertoire over the years  :)
But when it's Beethoven's Op. 106 or Liszt's Sonata in B minor...
Guess I should be pleased that he thinks I can play anything! ;)

Offline kookaburra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #286 on: May 14, 2010, 10:57:49 PM
Ha ha I used to do that! ::) I called Bach batch, Wagner wag-ner, Davorak davoshak and not fogetting Chopin as Chopping! ;D ::), I still call Greig Greg! :D

gotta get used to these names! :P

then can someone please tell me, how AM I supposed to pronounce these names? because I've always said them just like you said!

:-\
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #287 on: May 15, 2010, 04:01:37 AM
Bahk

Vaghner

Divorjhack

Show-pan

Greeeeg

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #288 on: May 15, 2010, 12:04:03 PM
I recently recorded my first youtube-vid, chopin etude op 25/7. The first response I got from was "You should play something faster, that ppl know of! Like Turkish March or Flight of the bumble bee.. or are they like, really really difficult?"

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #289 on: May 15, 2010, 12:12:49 PM
Bahk

Vaghner

Divorjhack

Show-pan

Greeeeg

LOL  ;D Divorce Hijack  ;D

Seriously:

Check the attachment.

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #290 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:04 AM
This is hands down the best thread I have come across on pianostreet. Im gonna print it off and post it somewhere. :)
i'm not asian

Offline gazdesnake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #291 on: May 27, 2010, 11:26:40 PM
Ok I mine is way better then all of yours ahahah

My grandmother (who died a few years ago) thought that the piano was only played with 2 fingers one in each hand and that it was randomly played... she was like
(quote:)
" Whats that paper for, is it a book? "

Even soo.. she did was a realy good cook ...

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #292 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:18 PM
I'm entering a practise room, where I've booked time. Some random chicks sits there and ask me to play something for them.
I said sure, and placed my beethoven score on a table (those Extremely big Urtext-editions), and started playing the 3rd mov of the Waldstein. When I was done they pointed at the book and said "Omg is that just one song?"

Not very original, but it's fun every time it happens

Offline chopinmozart7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #293 on: June 15, 2010, 01:56:15 PM
I played once in front of my friends and after I had finished one of them bursts out:
" Are you aware of the fact that you should never use your thumbs while playing the piano?"
I was like  :o OKEY.....

Last year I was playing for some strangers in a local church. While I was playing, some of them slowly approached the piano and started pressing notes in the wrong key and thus disturbed my playing. I got so mad..... >:(
If the immortals had written music for all eternity, we would not have remembered their music.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #294 on: June 15, 2010, 03:02:51 PM
" Are you aware of the fact that you should never use your thumbs while playing the piano?"
Hahahaha! LOL :D

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #295 on: June 17, 2010, 01:45:58 PM
I heard my local college orchestra perform Beethoven's Fifth Symphonie. Someone saw that the piano was being wheeled out and a woman said "Geuss there is no piano in Beethoven's Fifth. I tried to explain to her why the piano was rarely used in classical period symphonies but she had no idea what I was talking about

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #296 on: June 18, 2010, 08:05:18 AM
I played once in front of my friends and after I had finished one of them bursts out:
I was like  :o OKEY.....
Did you know that in the olden days (Pre Bach) keyboard fingering did not use the thumb very much (if at all) and fingers would pass the hand with twisting the wrist. Funny but true, your friend must have come from those days :)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #297 on: June 18, 2010, 07:36:41 PM
I heard my local college orchestra perform Beethoven's Fifth Symphonie. Someone saw that the piano was being wheeled out and a woman said "Geuss there is no piano in Beethoven's Fifth. I tried to explain to her why the piano was rarely used in classical period symphonies but she had no idea what I was talking about

Well no offense intended but why should this be stupid?
That's a very interesting and very specific question and I wonder who on this board could come up with a real answer. I can't, actually. It is a very specific music-historical subject.

Offline shadowzerg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #298 on: June 22, 2010, 05:09:51 AM
Okay, so today i went to a local music store and bought some sheet music books. After that I asked the cashier if they let people play the pianos. She said sure and I walked over to a Yamaha Concert Grand priced at $175,000(I first thought it said $17,000). I played Apologize, Circle of Eternity, and Chopin Valse op.64 nr.2.

As I was playing the manager walked up to make sure I wasn't just banging keys, told me I was good, and to come back and play anytime. I went home and told my dad of this event and the conversation went like so:

Dad: I'm surprised they didn't throw a fit! O_O
Me: Why would they? It's a pianist playing a piano, nothing out of the ordinary...
Dad: Pianist is a title for someone with a little more experience.
Me: (Thinking what) A pianist is one who plays piano, if i'm not a pianist what am I! >:(
Dad: Hmm, Idk, but I do think you're highly talented and very good.
Me: Mmhmm...(Thinking what the eff ever...)

I've been playing the piano for a LITTLE under a year, about 20 days to be exact.  I've practiced every single day and he knows this. Made me feel like I've been wasting all that time spent playing...Sigh, non-musicians can really hurt at times.  >:( :(

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #299 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:54 PM

Dad: I'm surprised they didn't throw a fit! O_O
Me: Why would they? It's a pianist playing a piano, nothing out of the ordinary...
Dad: Pianist is a title for someone with a little more experience.
Me: (Thinking what) A pianist is one who plays piano, if i'm not a pianist what am I! >:(
Dad: Hmm, Idk, but I do think you're highly talented and very good.
Me: Mmhmm...(Thinking what the eff ever...)

I've been playing the piano for a LITTLE under a year, about 20 days to be exact.  I've practiced every single day and he knows this. Made me feel like I've been wasting all that time spent playing...Sigh, non-musicians can really hurt at times.  >:( :(

Well I don't know... but I would be very happy if my dad ever said I was highly talented and very good!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert