Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Stupid things non-musicians say to us  (Read 81890 times)

Offline shadowzerg

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stupid things non-musicians say to us
Reply #300 on: June 23, 2010, 03:21:34 AM
Yeah I know....but it just seems like he said it to "cover" his now noticed mistake. Insult then compliment...cool right?

Offline steponme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #301 on: July 06, 2010, 01:19:33 AM
I was playing Mozart's 12 Variations of Ah-vous dirai je maman at a friend's house for fun. It was just the beginning and I was in the middle of playing the first variation when someone says

"I thought you've been playing piano for 5 years... how come you're still playing Twinkle, twinkle, little star?"
- Intermediate student here!
Pieces that I'm currently studying (in order of priority):
1. Debussy - Arabesque no. 1
2. Mozart - 12 Variations
3. Debussy - Clair de Lune
4. Beethoven - Moonlight

Offline gep

Reply #302 on: July 07, 2010, 12:26:45 PM
My rdaio (at work) played "Concerto for Orchestra" by Bartók. A collegue said "Hey, that's cartoon music!".

Later on, a CD with Pettersson's 8th Symphony was spinning. Same collegue: "That's very relaxed music, not?!".

Seeveral people have commented on the "depressing" music of Bach I play (such as the Brandenburgers, the Suites, the Concerti...)..

When I planned to be at the Amsterdam performance of Sorabji's Second Organ Symphony a few weeks ago (the music took some 9 hours) various people asked how I could stand listening to 9 hours of organ music. Well, first of all, it doesn't sound 9 hours long and, second, I'm more aghast about the fact people can listen to the shat they listen to, for that freaks the hell out of me after several hours less than 9 seconds!

gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #303 on: July 07, 2010, 05:22:35 PM
I was playing Mozart's 12 Variations of Ah-vous dirai je maman at a friend's house for fun. It was just the beginning and I was in the middle of playing the first variation when someone says

"I thought you've been playing piano for 5 years... how come you're still playing Twinkle, twinkle, little star?"

Arghhh I would have been so angry  >:(

Offline steponme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #304 on: July 07, 2010, 07:57:36 PM
Arghhh I would have been so angry  >:(

It offended me and made me feel bad about my choice to play it ;_;
- Intermediate student here!
Pieces that I'm currently studying (in order of priority):
1. Debussy - Arabesque no. 1
2. Mozart - 12 Variations
3. Debussy - Clair de Lune
4. Beethoven - Moonlight

Offline eminemvsrach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #305 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47:37 PM
Me and my friend on a bus,

Me: Hey wanna listen to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring?

Friend: Sure!

(Dance of the Adolescents)

Friend: Hey! Isn't this from a movie??

=__=
"Music is Enough for a Lifetime, but a Lifetime is never enough for music."

---Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline ilikepie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #306 on: July 08, 2010, 05:01:50 PM

=__=

It actually was featured on Disney's fantasia, the one with the dinosaurs if I'm not mistaken.
That's the price you pay for being moderate in everything.  See, if I were you, my name would be Ilovepie.  But that's just me.

Offline eminemvsrach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #307 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:30 AM
It actually was featured on Disney's fantasia, the one with the dinosaurs if I'm not mistaken.

Well, yeah, I know, I've watched the film myself ...... but he's too upbeat to have watched that 1940 movie...... possible though
"Music is Enough for a Lifetime, but a Lifetime is never enough for music."

---Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #308 on: July 12, 2010, 07:33:04 PM

=__=

why is this something stupid of your friend to say? Seems pretty logical response to me. Just because he/she recognized it from a film?
i'm not asian

Offline ch0pinpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #309 on: August 02, 2010, 03:51:16 AM
My brother always introduces me as a pianist, but he says it fast and drops the A and the T.  He seems to think this is pretty darn funny.

yeah try saying that on chopin pianist

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #310 on: August 05, 2010, 06:04:21 PM
yeah try saying that on chopin pianist

Emphasize the "an" and you're covered. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #311 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:50 PM

When I told my Uncle I had gotten into the doctoral program at school, he said "Music--you can get a doctorate in that?  Can't you just learn it all in a year?"

OMG  :o
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #312 on: August 15, 2011, 10:29:32 PM
"Do you study music? Nice, but what will study to earn money?"

"I'd want to be an adventurer, like one of those of Discovery Channel. - I'd wanted to be a video game developer.
me: I will be a musican!
cousin: We're talking about professions..."
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #313 on: August 16, 2011, 02:50:49 AM
when i was little can someone explain to me why i thought fur elise was around a 1/2 hour long and one of the most difficult pieces out there.
i'm not asian

Offline arturgajewski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #314 on: August 16, 2011, 07:02:13 AM
Great topic. One we can all relate to I am sure....
My first an formost annoyance is having to justify my studies to those who don't consider any art a true profession. Its the mentality that if one doesn't hate their job then its not real work. From some I get - good luck with your ventures but  from others I usually get -why bother with something that won't guarentee you loads and loads of money.
This mentality I find is more of an American point of view as I have been living in Europe and I don't get nearly as many confused expressions such as  :-\

Just curious as I have no idea myself, what can you do as your profession when you graduate in degree of music? This is not a joke and I am really curious to know.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #315 on: August 16, 2011, 12:09:13 PM
Haha.  Teach?  To some extent at least I guess.

Perform, possibly weddings, ceremonial things like that etc.

Accompany.

Wait staff, clerical work, etc.  Professional/amateur bum?  There are more threads about music careers on here.

Offline arturgajewski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #316 on: August 16, 2011, 12:58:15 PM
Haha.  Teach?  To some extent at least I guess.

Perform, possibly weddings, ceremonial things like that etc.

Accompany.

Wait staff, clerical work, etc.  Professional/amateur bum?  There are more threads about music careers on here.

Vener thought about teaching, but you can play at weddings and other places without education. For example, my father is a high school drop-out because he wanted to play in a band. He loved music so much that he continued to play in bands and he did it until he retired.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #317 on: August 16, 2011, 03:08:47 PM
If you are taking a music degree just for the piece of paper, then get out!  (that's not what a non-musician said, that's what I'm saying to the above few posts).

Some dumb stuff I've heard.  "OK, so you got you're ARCT diploma; so now you're ALLOWED to perform in public?"  whaaa?

I play the first page of Chopin's second ballade to my sister (in an attempt to show her that it returns at the end, but in a minor key... I'm trying to explain how amazing that is).  So I play the first page and she says "oh cool..." and I play the last few bars and she says "you just played that!"  FACEPALM!  And she took music in high school!!! I get so damn bothered when people don't even give half of their attention, but expect you to listen attentively when they're talking about reality tv.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #318 on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:45 PM
I wouldn't call the things non-musicians say to me stupid... it's more funny than stupid to me. :P

I had a cousin who said that classical music was dull because it was repetitive and always happy... "Don't classical composers ever get mad, or sad?!"

Haha something similar happened to me!!! But I didn't really find it stupid, I thought it was funny and I teased my friend about it.   ;D

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline ionian_tinnear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #319 on: August 17, 2011, 02:02:19 PM
Years back, when I was in the local symphony, I was in the percussion section.  Piano players not used so much in the orchestra..  Right in front of us were of course the 3rd violins, several sweet older ladies.

For one piece we needed a celeste, so "piano player, bring your keyboard".  I bring it in, set it up, and play a little Bach to 'test' the keyboard.  One of the violinist turned around and said "I didn't know drummers could read real music"...  Yes, she was serious!

Ok, this isn't a stupid thing said by a non-musician, but doesn't that make it even more stupid?

Later, we did a contemporary work that had a 4-hands piano part, I wonder what she thought of that!
Albeniz: Suite Espańola #1, Op 47,
Bach: French Suite #5 in G,
Chopin: Andante Spianato,
Chopin: Nocturne F#m, Op 15 #2
Chopin: Ballade #1 Gm & #3 Aflat Mj

Offline pbryld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #320 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:58 AM
I played Liszts Consolation nr. 3 at a get-together and afterwards got asked: "Was that Für Elise?"

"Um, no.."
General info:
Started playing music in the summer of 2010
Plays on a Bechstein B
Lives in Denmark

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #321 on: August 18, 2011, 07:27:51 AM
Aaah, Fur Elise... Everything is Fur elise for some people... Or at least easier than fur elise,even among quasi musicians. Like, I was playing the mephisto waltz, and then some girl came up and said "I bet you can't play fur elise, or ballade pour adeline, 'cause then you need more feeling".

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #322 on: August 18, 2011, 11:39:09 PM
For one piece we needed a celeste, so "piano player, bring your keyboard".  I bring it in, set it up, and play a little Bach to 'test' the keyboard.  One of the violinist turned around and said "I didn't know drummers could read real music"...  Yes, she was serious!

Ok, this isn't a stupid thing said by a non-musician, but doesn't that make it even more stupid?

And if she said drummer instead of percussionist...

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #323 on: August 19, 2011, 12:46:38 AM
My friend was attending this music club meeting at our school for the free food.

Some guy came up to him and started talking about music to him, and asking what he played and stuff.

My friend didn't want to be exposed as a guy who just went for free food, so he said: "I am an expert in g minor."

I wonder how the guy felt when he heard that.

Offline lorditachijr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #324 on: August 19, 2011, 07:26:21 AM
I have a few stories I could tell about my music...

Once upon a time I was learning the Fantaisie Impromptu, and I sped it up way too soon. I finished, and my teacher said, "Well John... That coda was, and I don't intend this to sound harsh, an ugly mess." (her words were very true  ;D ) She is usually a little tough so I'm used to it, and it really didn't even phase me beyond the constructive criticism. Really I don't think there's been a time when her criticism didn't help me.

One of my dear friends who is a pianist/composer. He is really quite an amazing composer, but he hasn't had a good piano teacher until this year, so his piano skills are still lacking. Let's say at a concert I play Chopin's 1st Ballade and he plays the Chopin Waltz Op. 18. The audience holds us in equal regard, and we both receive the exact same comments about how talented we are, yadda yadda yadda. It just sort of irks me how they think everything sounds the same.

My mom thinks the only good classical music is "soothing" and "peaceful." I'll play something I find beautiful, and she will tell me to play something not so agitated. You should've HEARD the comments I got when I learned a Prokofiev Sarcasm.

Another time when I was out of town, I went to a piano store to "get my fix" as I like to say ;). I played a few pieces, and the store clerk said I really played quite wonderfully. He offered to give me some lessons if I wanted when I was visiting again, so I listed him my current repertoire. He had never heard of a single piece I mentioned. It didn't seem to phase him that this would be a problem in giving me lessons.

To change the subject to my young musician friends, it drives me CRAZY when they say some things. I think almost all of my musician friends lie about how much they practice. It's like they think whatever they say will just be taken as truth no matter what they sound like. They think saying "I never practice" is like a barrier of defense in case they play badly. Which they never do because it's obvious that they DO practice. I mean if they practiced as much as they said they did, the performance would've sounded terrible, not won honorable mention at a festival.

They also seem to base EVERYTHING on repertoire. I think most of my musical acquaintances would value a crummy performance of La Campanella over a note-perfect, heart-felt and musical rendition of a Chopin Nocturne. Things like this really bug me. Really musicians as a whole are a bunch of egotistical, elitist jerks who think that anyone who doesn't listen to classical music is a neanderthal (I am embarrassed to say that I have fallen into the elitist group before).

SORRY about this long post. I have needed a place to vent my frustrations.

Music sure is a crazy business!
John

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #325 on: August 19, 2011, 08:41:41 AM
When I played two completely different pieces for a friend (I don't remember which pieces, it was one virtuosity and one calm). After that the said "everything sounds just the same, classical is so boring!".
 :o

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #326 on: August 19, 2011, 04:03:24 PM

They also seem to base EVERYTHING on repertoire. I think most of my musical acquaintances would value a crummy performance of La Campanella over a note-perfect, heart-felt and musical rendition of a Chopin Nocturne. Things like this really bug me. Really musicians as a whole are a bunch of egotistical, elitist jerks who think that anyone who doesn't listen to classical music is a neanderthal (I am embarrassed to say that I have fallen into the elitist group before).

I agree with your last one.  In the 1st/2nd year choir last year, one guy was making a general statement: "why does everyone hate on hip-hop?' 

I don't listen to hip hop music, but this one arrogant prick stands up and says "I don't do drugs, hip-hop artists do.  I don't need drugs to feel good about myself, my music does it all for me"

Total bullshit!  Just say you don't like it, don't start calling them druggies for god's sake!

Also, a few of us went out for beers at the end of the year, and we were talking about music obviously.  A buddy of mine and I starting talking about progressive rock music, and this other guy who's a violinist is sort of just nodding his head with "yea" "mhm" "I know".  And then my friend is like "Have you ever listened to Yes, or Rush, or Pink Floyd?"  And the guy just gives this glazed over look and says "huh?". 

I'm sorry, but I can understand if someone like my aunt has never heard of Prokofiev, but someone who has been playing music their entire life COMPLETELY ignores any mention of any music outside the classical domain.  It's about as frustrating as hearing someone say "classical sounds all the same" (but on the flipside)

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #327 on: August 21, 2011, 03:24:16 AM
I don't think it's quite off if you've listened to a lot of music, that a musician has maybe a more informed opinion on things than someone who hasn't listened to much.  It could still be elitist I suppose, but elitist with reasoning behind it.

I've noticed some people who are more into independent bands seem to have a more refined sense of what they like, what they consider good, and... seem to be listening more than I think some classical music people do, myself included in that.  Or listening in a different way that I think is the goal, or a goal.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #328 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
The thing I hate most: "Hey lets go to XXXXXXX, you're even doing nothing all day long..."
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #329 on: August 22, 2011, 10:58:17 PM
"Can't you just practice twice as much tomorrow?"

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #330 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:06 AM
"But how do you get your benefits?"
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #331 on: August 23, 2011, 03:16:08 AM
"You got paid how much for like only an hour of work?  Wow!  You should do that full-time."

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #332 on: August 23, 2011, 03:21:19 AM
"Your equipment cost how much?"

Offline steinway_d

• PS Silver Member
Reply #333 on: August 28, 2011, 04:57:54 AM
One time my brother played a chopin etude (op. 25 no. 2) for his
non - musician friend. And his friend said "Mmm" and nodded his head. Then my brother played fur elise for him and he clapped like crazy and said " You're amazing" then he went home and listened to Lady Caca and Frank Sinatra in that order.

(-SIGH-)

Oh well,
so much for my brothers 6 hr a day worth of practice.

(-BIGGER SIGH-)

steinway_d

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #334 on: August 28, 2011, 03:53:20 PM
"That thing sounded like that!"

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #335 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:25 PM
Once, a really long time ago, back when I was in second or third grade (about five or six years ago), I decided to play piano in the school talent show. There was only one other kid playing the piano and they played Bach Minuet in G while I played Epilogue op. 45 by Stephen Heller. After the talent show some kid comes up to me and says:
"Hey, good job. What was that one piano song that you and that other kid played. I liked it."
I replied "What do you mean. We played two completely different pieces of music."
The kid says, "Really? I thought you both played the same thing."
I thought this was kind of bizarre, mainly because Epilogue is a really loud minor piece while Minuet in G is a really short, quiet, major piece. Epilogue is also like a full minute and a half longer and a lot harder.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #336 on: August 31, 2011, 11:16:32 AM
"I don't know how to play an instrument, but I can play... the radio!  Yuck, yuck, yuck."  I hate that joke.

I'm still surprised by how people seem to brag or take pride in *not* knowing about music.  I think what they mean is that they're embarrassed by it and would like to learn more.  I run across people who seem happy to tell everyone that they can't read music or don't know much about music.  I think it would be like saying -- with a big smile -- "Hi!  I'm illiterate!  I don't the alphabet and can't tell one letter from another.  Ha ha ha. Isn't that amusing?"

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #337 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:52 PM
It's very common that when someone is not an "expert" in the subject, he or she could give silly questions and comments. (Ie. someone says that he piece you played reminded him or her a TV show or a movie).

Nevertheless, stupid things said are relative, the questions and comments done are commonly based on each one's level of piano and music´s knowledge and understanding. On the first hand, you may think it is stupid that someone can't distinguish between two pieces which are totally different.  On the other hand, one who is more inmersed and is a very expert in the subject would think is stupid if you can't make the distinction between two notes or two chords which are different.

Another issue which can be relative is to define which piece belongs to which era and who wrote it. One who is a non-musician would say that all the classical pieces sound the same for him or her.  Meanwhile, one can't distinguish a Bach's with a Mozart's, a Schumman's with a Liszt's or a Satie's with a Debussy's or a Ravel´s.  Or another person could know who wrote the piece but doesn't know when did the composer do it. Everything is relative.

What is really stupid is not listening to the others.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #338 on: September 01, 2011, 12:28:43 AM
Me: So the title of this piece is 'Allegro' - do you know what that means?
Student: Erm... I know it's the name of an italian restaurant...

::)

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #339 on: September 01, 2011, 03:09:52 AM
some guy: i can play the piano! (and they just touch it)
agrrrrrrrr that drives me crazyyyyyyyyyyyy  >:( >:( >:(
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #340 on: September 01, 2011, 12:37:16 PM
I've got a few more.

This is one my mom said; I shouldn't be saying it, but it kills me inside when I think about it haha!

Me: playing the VERY ending of the Scriabin 2nd Sonata (I don't know the piece, would like to learn it someday, but I spent a little bit of time learning the last half page).

Mom: "Nick, whatever you are playing now is beautiful.  I'd say this is now my favorite piece."

So, that's perfectly fine! My mom's enjoying what I'm playing right now.

...a few weeks later.

Mom: "Nick, play that beautiful piece for your Grandma, I think she'll love it."

Me: playing the VERY ending of the Scriabin 2nd Sonata

Mom: "No, that's not it.  The other one."

AHH!!H!!!! WHAAAT!!!

-----------------------------------

Another one that bugs me, and at one point resulted in my sister and I yelling at each other.  If I'm playing something for someone, I'd like to equate that as a gift.  I'm showing them something I either really enjoy, or something I think that they would like too.  As soon as they pull out their damn phone and start texting, they've zoned out and do not give two sh*ts.  I can't stand that!  I've gone to my sister's 3 hour dance recitals EVERY YEAR! Without any complaint!  She can't sit still for 25 seconds while I show her something awesome I learned.

I don't get it!!

-----------------------------------

At the beginning of last school year (so about a year ago September), I had just started learning the Mephisto Waltz, and was just digging into the first few pages.  After the repeated passage, you've got those octaves preceded by grace notes (the octaves go C-C-D-E) then it goes back to the opening statement again. (I don't have the book nearby, hopefully that description works).  One of my buddies at the university's first impression: "euhh. That piece is pretty cheesy".  WHAT!  After hearing about 20 measures of this massive work, you instantly label the piece as cheesy!

Because of that, that's all I would think about when I played that section, and it bugged me to no end!

------------------------------------

My girlfriend's grandparents had us over for supper one day, and her dad and his girlfriend were there.  They have a keyboard (weighted 88 key thank god), and asked me to play something (my girlfriend had been saying I study music).  So I play them a small section from 'Jardins sous la Pluie', and a bit of the Pathetique first movement (the Allegro, because their brains can only handle so much awesome music). 

Right as soon as I'm done, her dad says "so, can you play anything by The Cars or The Doors?"  I'm like "ummm no, not on the spot", and I get this absolute look of disappointment from her Dad and his Girlfriend...

Then, her grandfather says "Well I play east coast fiddle; you seem more of a melody guy than a chord guy, so I'd like someone to back me up, but not sure if you are up to it."

I laughed at that one, because looking at his music, written above the fiddle part (I kind of like the Maritime fiddle stuff, it's really different), it pretty much went: D-G-D-G-D-G-D-G-A-D... hmm pretty difficult harmony if you ask me  ;)

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline steinway_d

• PS Silver Member
Reply #341 on: September 01, 2011, 08:49:08 PM
Once, a really long time ago, back when I was in second or third grade (about five or six years ago), I decided to play piano in the school talent show. There was only one other kid playing the piano and they played Bach Minuet in G while I played Epilogue op. 45 by Stephen Heller. After the talent show some kid comes up to me and says:
"Hey, good job. What was that one piano song that you and that other kid played. I liked it."
I replied "What do you mean. We played two completely different pieces of music."
The kid says, "Really? I thought you both played the same thing."
I thought this was kind of bizarre, mainly because Epilogue is a really loud minor piece while Minuet in G is a really short, quiet, major piece. Epilogue is also like a full minute and a half longer and a lot harder.

So true.

steinway_d

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #342 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:08 PM
Another one that bugs me, and at one point resulted in my sister and I yelling at each other.  If I'm playing something for someone, I'd like to equate that as a gift.  I'm showing them something I either really enjoy, or something I think that they would like too.  As soon as they pull out their damn phone and start texting, they've zoned out and do not give two sh*ts.  I can't stand that!  I've gone to my sister's 3 hour dance recitals EVERY YEAR! Without any complaint!  She can't sit still for 25 seconds while I show her something awesome I learned.

I don't get it!!
I agree with that one. My friend doesn't allow me to play or listen to classical music when she's near. If I play anything or listen to something, she turn on the radio on her iPhone and listen to "her" music (really loud).
And we always listen to her music. She was near to break my computer (my computer was really expensive) because I turned on a piece of classical music.

And we have listened to "her" music for hours almost every day for the past year, but I have played piano once (like a page or so) and listened to two pieces ..
That kind of drives me crazy :o

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #343 on: October 24, 2011, 10:03:57 AM
I remembered 2 years ago someone said to me 'I hate classical music"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline mcrosbie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #344 on: October 31, 2011, 07:18:02 AM
My first husband didn't understand classical music at all.  My first love is classical piano and I happily took lessons and practiced enthusiastically as a girl and a teenager.  I continued to play for pleasure after I was married.  My husband also wanted me to learn to play hymns to accompany amateur singers at our small community church.  He had no idea that traditional hymns were not particularly easy to play and that not all musicians find accompanying amateur singers very satisfying.  That marriage ended and I met and married a professional musician.  I loved him until the day he died and still love his memory, but I was surprised to discover that he was not much fun to go to musical performances with, as he was very opinionated and often very critical of other musicians.  Of course, if his favourite pianos, Horowitz, was playing he was happy, but he became very irritated if the pianist gave a little chat to the audience prior to performing.  He muttered in the seat beside, "I didn't come for a lecture."  Shall I marry again?  If so, I think I will have to find someone who loves classical music, but is not, himself, a musician.  LOL.

Offline mcrosbie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #345 on: October 31, 2011, 07:51:03 AM
I just read a lot of your posts. I enjoy the chance to "share" with other classical pianists here.  After reading your posts, another thing that used to irritate me a lot is the comment, "I play by ear." or "He plays by ear.  He's SO TALENTED."  This remark is made with the clear connotation that to "play by ear" is far superior to playing with music.  There are people who believe that playing by ear is automatically superior to playing by reading music.  Then I hear these people playing by ear (I have to admit I do know what fellow who played very well by ear), but most of them are off key, play cords that don't harmonize with the melody, play very monotonous left-hand accompaniment to simple melodies etc.  In short, music that is not pleasant to the trained ear.  I think to myself, I can play "by ear" too, but I am never satisfied with what I play that way and if there is music for the piece, I would rather read and play with the sheet music.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #346 on: November 01, 2011, 09:46:48 AM
Once my friend points towards a minim and he says 'Why is the letter D on those lines?'

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #347 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:03 AM
I absolutely hate it when, I'm staying over at someones house (especially on their invitation) and I ask if it's okay if I practice on their piano while I'm with them and they say "sure" but then get mad at me for playing what I guess would be half pieces a lot (hands separate, working on difficult sections etc.). People don't understand, that it takes a lot to get a piece to sound at least decent.

I also had a friend who wasn't very musical asked me...
"So if I gave you sheet music could you play it right now?"
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”-Sir Walter Scott

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #348 on: November 02, 2011, 10:31:14 AM

I also had a friend who wasn't very musical asked me...
"So if I gave you sheet music could you play it right now?"

You can always sight read it you know.  :(

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #349 on: November 04, 2011, 03:16:53 PM
I'm a VERY slow sight reader, and I think that would've made me look like a giant fool. I personally prefer to practice in private until it sounds polished. I'll probably have to work on sight reading eventually  though... :-\
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”-Sir Walter Scott
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert