Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Have you ever just known?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Have you ever just known?
on: June 24, 2005, 09:23:14 PM
Have you ever been working on a piece of music and all of the sudden you have this realization, "I'm going to learn this!"  I mean, one second you're just practicing, TRYING to learn the piece, and then the next second you just KNOW there is no way you can fail.

What a rush!!
Don't let your music die inside you.

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Re: Have you ever just known?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 09:33:36 PM
Oh yeah defo. But i'm afraid i'm at the worst stage at the mo (well i think it's the worst stage) when i've just done a recital and now i'm riiight at the start of learning new pieces and time is going verry slowly....won't be so bad in a few weeks though  :)
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 10:09:54 PM
Me too, I just finished my recital. A few touches on a few pieces, and I'm back to the llllllllllllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg process of choosing new pieces, and learning them from scratch.
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline Kohai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:31:44 AM
Not for quite a long time.

Kohai
“ Life and death are light as a feather, but obligation, obligation is heavy as a mountain.”

Offline pizno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 12:49:31 AM
Yes, you're practicing slowly and then after endless years (it seems) of this you pick up the tempo and you can feel it come together.  Of course, from that point to actual performance seems like another few years!

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 06:03:48 AM
Kind of yeah. It's more of a realization that it's clicking in my brain rather than "wow I'm not going to fail". I've never failed at learning a piece so that thought really doesn't enter my brain.

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 07:44:52 AM
Have you ever been working on a piece of music and all of the sudden you have this realization, "I'm going to learn this!"  I mean, one second you're just practicing, TRYING to learn the piece, and then the next second you just KNOW there is no way you can fail.

What a rush!!

I usually feel like that after i have heard the recordings but it's more like "I have to learn this piece". For a moralle booster I start with the most difficult section of the piece (possibly) and try to make progress with that. Obviously if you get that part right than it shows what your capable of.

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 05:18:07 PM

What a rush!!

Hmm.. Haven't felt that for a long time now  :P
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." - Maurice Ravel

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 06:18:44 PM

What a rush!!

Yeah, that's an excellent observation.  I find that "added inspiration" to be extremely necessary for highly difficult pieces.  I remember working on a very tough piano concerto when I finally "saw the light" (or "met with my maker") and, shazaam, like a turboboost, I proceeded to clinch the beast!   8)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 07:58:39 PM

What a rush!!

Yes ! and I love it when this happens.  I sometimes get glimmers of this on a deeper level too, but just glimmers.  It happened for me just the other day actually and sorta right now even.   :)

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 02:04:51 PM
I sometimes get glimmers of this on a deeper level too, but just glimmers.

I know what you mean.  There are times in life when a feeling comes over me, kind of like , "Oh yeah, this is going to work."  On thing I have begun to learn is that once this feeling occurs I cannot stop doing what I was doing that got me to that point in the first place.  It is very easy to just start to coast when I have that feeling of success.  If anything, I should redouble my efforts to ensure the completion of the goal.  It is far too easy to become apathetic, or cocky, and believe that the activity will complete itself...it rarely does.

Jef

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 08:45:41 PM
Me too, I just finished my recital. A few touches on a few pieces, and I'm back to the llllllllllllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg process of choosing new pieces, and learning them from scratch.

this may be personal opinion, but if it is taking you a long time just to get the pieces going, then you are probably working something too hard.

boliver

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 12:06:35 PM
Have you ever just known that you're going to fail? i have... lots of time... haha

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 01:20:10 PM
Have you ever just known that you're going to fail? i have... lots of time... haha

There is no such thing as failure; there is only feedback.  If you are not getting the results you want then change your behavior. If you still don't get what you want you haven't failed, you've gained important feedback about your current methodology.

The only time you truly fail is when you quit.

Don't let the fear of failure or the feeling of discomfort prevent you from going after what you really want.  Always step forward into growth; never pull back into safety; you can accomplish virtually anything IF you're willing to pay the price.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert