Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Ravel - Valses nobles et sentimentales  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Ravel - Valses nobles et sentimentales
on: June 25, 2005, 07:12:00 AM
I recorded these in a recital hall while it was empty.  There's still a lot of work to be done, but I'm making progress.

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ravel - Valses nobles et sentimentales
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:48:13 AM
C'mon people!  It's not that bad is it?  Surely we have at least one Ravel fan who has a suggestion....

Although it won't help me know, since I've abandoned this piece for the time being (but I'll relearn it better in a year or two).

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 12:57:29 PM
The quality of the recording is not very good so it may make me hear things that actually don't exist. Anyway, here are the picky critics of a guy who's very good at listening but unable to play  ;) :

N.1 : ha, ha work on these inaccuracies at LH ;D... and you seem undecided about articulation, you wander from quasi-staccatto to marcatto and then quasi-legato in the same section, don't pedal before the chords (hiccups).

N.2 : Okay, maybe could be slightly faster (just my taste), LH a little bit heavy at some places.

N.3 : at the beginning the 2nd beat chords are not staccato, only the 3rd, you release the pedal too early. Heavy LH again.

N.4 : quite okay though the melody could (should ?) be more emphasized (Ravel writes "Le chant très en dehors" and later "La partie supérieure en dehors".
N.5 : nothing special to mention.

N.6 : I'm very picky again : you exactly follow the score, but on these dotted notes I find your stop is a little bit too abrupt.

N.7 : Just needs to flow some more on the fast notes at RH.

N.8 : Okay overall, but on the citations of previous themes, you could recall the same rhytmic ideas as in the original.

In general you make the effort of respecting scrupulously the composer's markings, which is essential with Ravel, but sometimes it doesn't sound "natural".

Anyway, it's very good work despite some inaccuracies and well, you're a criminal to "abandon" it for so long a time. If I was able to play as you do, I couldn't stop working at these pieces until I get them at perfect rendition. These are my favorite Ravel pieces.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:21:55 PM
aww you shouldn't give up on it!  Obviously you have the technical stuff pretty much down; It obviously has some problems but all works in progress do ^^ Sounds like it could be really great if you just work on it a bit more.  You shouldnt give up on a piece when obviously you have the potential to play it very well.

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 10:39:46 PM
Thanks you guys those are some great ideas.

I'm not totally giving up on it though.... I'm going to pick it up again fresh in a few months - I'm just busy with some other stuff right now.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert