Piano Forum

Topic: Arms Aching?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline emmylo471

• PS Silver Member
Arms Aching?
on: June 29, 2005, 12:59:26 AM
I have currently been working on the Pieczonka tarantella, and have been noticing my right arm aching towards the middle of the piece. Is this normal?

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Arms Aching?
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:52:14 PM
It is NOT normal if anything aches when playing the piano.

You need to be a lot more specific in describing exactly what it is that gives you problems, both what and where the pain is as well as the movements that cause it (and the musical passage).

Offline emmylo471

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:33:30 PM
It hurts only during the Pieczonka tarantella...on the B section. It aches on the lower part of my arm, kind of like when you hold your arm over your head and the blood rushes out of your arm...(This happens to me in ballet class at the barre.) Should I go to the doctor and get an xray or something?

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 05:48:09 PM
I don't know that piece, so I can't say anything about it. What is it in that part that gives you problems? Is it octave runs, repeated chords, ...?

Also, your description of the pain is still not detailed enough. Where exactly is the pain (e.g., 2 inches from the base of the thumb, underside of ther arm)? What type of pain is it (sharp, very localized, broad, burning feeling)? Does it go away when you stop playing or does it stay for days?

X-rays will probably tell little, but going to a doctor might be a good idea. But first, what does your teacher say?

Offline jennit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:30:43 AM
I just found this site when Googling for info about Pieczonka....when I play the Tarantella my arm aches in the B section too!  It's because my hand is so tense, I remember from when I learnt that piece (20 years ago :o) that I had to practise the right hand part really slowly, concentrating on keeping relaxed and not worrying about the speed, you can build up the speed gradually.  But you must keep your arm relaxed or you'll never get to the end of the piece!

J
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert